Sheriff Porter - Cover

Sheriff Porter

Copyright© 2013 by carniegirl

Chapter 139

It was up to Happy to convince Wilson to take the job even though it meant starting his own company. If he said no, I would just be forced to use the Swamp's nerd, if he would do it. The investigation might go to committee hearings and I might be questioned. The nerd couldn't be sure I wouldn't roll over on him. Wilson shouldn't worry about that. He knew how far I would go to protect him.

He knew where I kept the keys to the office, so he could set up there temporarily. He might do that if his apartment was to small. He would most likely want to be hidden away.

"Happy when you talk to Wilson, if he goes for it, give him the cell number you have for me." I figured he would want to talk to me about something or other. The way it stood now, I had given him all the computer equipment but kept the surveillance equipment. I didn't have any of it with me, but he could overnight anything I needed. That is he could if he set up shop in my office building. If not I could buy the stuff online and just wait for it to show up. I could also go back to the old way of surveillance, sit across the street with a cup of coffee. Or maybe follow people leaving and buy information. That was always a favorite of mine.

First you find out what is going on then figure out how to prove it. "So Happy, you got any suggestions from the boss," I asked.

"No he just said to give you this," she said sliding an envelope over to me. I didn't even bother to open it. My guess was that it contained a extract of the grant application for the Electric Car Company. It should also have a copy of the FBI biography of Evans as well. Since Evans most likely wrote both files they would probably be useless.

"The file with the names and salaries of each employee is in there. They are just what you wanted, I think." she said.

"We will see. I have your number Happy, if they won't do, I'll call you." She made a face at the thought of being called, but she didn't say a word. The investigation was too important to the senator's career. He had to look like he was doing something besides taking the free haircuts."

"I'm on the 4pm flight back to D.C. Think you might give me a ride?" she asked.

"Sure, I need to stop buy some discount department store for some clothes. Those are going to wind up on your bill. I need a black running suit. I can drop you at the airport at the same time." I said.

"You know I didn't really need to know all that, but now I'm curious. What do you need with a black running suit?" she asked.

"It's what all the well dressed spies are wearing this year," I said with a smile.

"Sylvia be careful please," Happy said as she left my SUV with her small case.

"What is this? Are you are afraid for my safety, or afraid it will turn out to be a Watergate type burglar?" I asked.

"A little of both, probably more of the latter," she confirmed.

"At least you are honest," I said.

"Why not I'm not the one facing jail," she said.

"But there would be a best selling book deal in it," I admitted. Happy smiled then walked away. I drove the Honda SUV to Walmart. I found a sweat suit that could double as fleece underwear when not in use as a running suit. I also bought a ski mast since it was still cold weather.

While I was in the store, and since I might have to go old school, I bought good digital camera but not the best one they had in stock ... I planned to drive by the plant at 4PM, which meant I had to rush to the plant site. The drive like most everything in Chattanooga could be done in around fifteen minutes.

I arrived about 20 minutes before shift change so I drove around the block very slowly. I even drove around the block next to the plant. If anyone asked, and I couldn't see why anyone would, I was going to be lost looking for the office of a local coffee service. It was on the south end of the road but the numbers were the same on the north end. Of course, since I had an ingenious cover story, no one asked.

I got back to the plant a few minutes before the Day shift left the plant. I noticed no one seemed to have arrived for the evening shift. According to the progress report Happy had mentioned they were running two shifts with over a hundred employees total. There were definitely not enough cars to have that number of employees in the plant at shift change.

When the day shift left the plant I shot picture of the license plates of the people who worked at the plant. I knew I could get the plates run and go see the five most likely to talk. I was pretty sure if I picked the right five at least one would talk. I also knew that the other four of them would probably burn me. If I got burned there was a possibility, I would die. Not a good one, but still enough of a possibility that I wanted to avoid it. I didn't want anyone knowing I was working there, till it was finished.

"So Wilson I guess you talked to Happy," I said into the phone.

"Yes I did, so you decided you want me to come back?" he asked.

"No, not at all, I'm sorry if Happy gave you that impression. I need you to do some check for me, but I don't think we can work together again," I said. "I had something more along the line of consultant."

"Fair enough," he said. Two hundred bucks a name and you get all I can find," Wilson said.

"How about for a license number," I asked.

"Sure why not," he said. "I'll even run backgrounds on them at the same time, if I can find anything."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.