Sheriff Porter - Cover

Sheriff Porter

Copyright© 2013 by carniegirl

Chapter 118

I probably should go back to making jewelry between jobs. With winter coming on, we weren't going to be prospecting. We might squeeze in one more trip before next spring, I thought. We did have a few more weeks of good weather, so I planned to fly every day till the weather went to shit.

Since it was well after lunch Wilson and I went fishing, when we got back to the barge. "You know maybe I'm wrong about the dam," Wilson said.

"So what, I am wrong a heck of a lot more than I'm right," I said while moving my line.

"Speaking of which, what about the warehouse?" he asked.

"I called this morning from the airport on my cell phone. I'm going to rent out a part of it to the woodworkers," I said.

"Now I'm sure that will turn a big profit," he said with a laugh.

"You have just pissed me off, so I'm going to rent a part of it to myself. I'm going to move my jewelry business down here from County Seat." I said.

"Can we at least talk about that?" Wilson asked.

"So talk, you have a captive audience," I replied.

"Well, if I were you I wouldn't move the equipment from County Seat. I would just buy new stuff. There have been all kinds of new computerized devices. There are laser engravers now. The ones I have seen make tags for dog collars but I'm sure they can be adapted to do design work. It won't be cheap but you can afford it easily." he said.

"What are you calling easily afford it," I said.

"I haven't checked but probably under $5,000 to engrave alum or silver no larger than you would want for one of a kind jewelry," he said. Then you would need a good grinder vice and soldering equipment. Probably no more than $10,000 you could go into it with state of the art equipment." he said.

"But you know we are all about doing things the historical way," I said.

"Now don't get offended but Sylvia you just aren't that artistic," Wilson said. "You have great vision but the execution is pretty awful sometimes."

I thought back over the jewelry I had made. I did better assembling, restoring and repairing other people's designs than I did with my original pieces. It was something to think about for sure.

"Okay Wilson start look into the equipment while you search for the second dam," I said.

"When I find it, we may have to more quickly," he said.

"I promise it won't be another Railroad Hotel type thing," I said with a smile.

"Alright, while I'm doing all this research for you, what exactly are you going to be doing?" he asked.

"No idea, but I will think of something I'm sure," I did at least smile again. Wilson and I were finding places to fish. It was enjoyable. I was really learning how to relax for the first time in a long time. Problem was, it gave me too much time to think about Liam and his watery grave.

I was a little depressed I knew it, but I wasn't planning to give in to it. So Wilson and I went out that evening to see what the fancy lounges of Jefferson Island were like. The night life left something to be desired, if one weren't on vacation. Maybe Wilson didn't notice but everyone we met seemed almost desperate to have a good time. As if they were dancing as fast as the could. Trying to feel that they weren't wasting their time and money on the vacation. Instead of cheering me up, I found they depressed even more.

For several day's Wilson did research an laser engravers and other odds and ends. One of the odd ends was he found the dam. It was owned by a man who had passed away and his estate we being settled. I had him contract the executor to try to make and offer on just the dam portion of the estate.

The counter offer was a 12 acre undeveloped parcel including the old river property for 20,000. We countered with an offer. They counter and we settled at eighteen. "Well Wilson this is another fine mess you got me into. I now own 12 acres of land good for only one thing, holding the earth together," I said.

During that downtime I helped the old men move the tool box and wooden toy factory into the building behind the railroad hotel. I noticed a construction company's sign. My guess was that the new owners were planning to whore it up somehow. A few days later when he old men started production again, I stopped by to help out with the back orders. That's when I noticed the 'coming soon' sign.

I walked over to look at it. The sign said the owner was accepting inquires about his new luxury condominium units. The railroad hotel would allow the purchaser to choose their own design and finishes, it stated. My little factory building was going to fuck up his view and I didn't give a crap. Someone had pirated my idea. Well one of them anyway. I never did finalize my plans for the old hotel.

I looked at the hotel and then at the warehouse were the old men had finally started to fill the back orders. I wondered between the two of them, what effect they would have on the downtown. I wondered what it would look like in ten years. That's when I decided I needed to step up and get involved. I didn't like the idea of the town whored up.

I made that decision just about the time my jewelry making tools started to arrive. "So Wilson, you have purchased me a laser engraver and cutter, and one heck of a lot of working stock. You trying to get my mind off something?" I asked.

"Not really, you just need something to keep you busy," he suggested.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.