Sheriff Porter
Chapter 53

Copyright© 2013 by carniegirl

"Okay, I'll pay you a salary equal to what you make now till you can retire. Then you work on a percentage of the business receipts. Frankly Wilson it would be easier if you lived with me. I know that might be a problem for you."

"It won't be a problem at all. If you are going to do that, you can reduce my salary to minimum wage for all I care," he said.

"Give them your notice and pack your shit. If you want to work with me, you are going to be miserable I expect, but I'm sure as hell willing. If it does't work out I'll pay you the salary till you are 65," I said.

"That's more than fair. Give me about three weeks. They have already started to train a new criminologist, so I can leave in a couple of weeks for sure. I want to stop in capitol city to visit my daughter and my wife," he said.

"We can work that out anytime," I said.

The geek was about to take a loss, and didn't know it, I thought. He also hadn't called back so he either found something or he didn't find anything. Oh well I would call him, if I didn't hear by 4PM. I was dicking around with the coffee warmer outside of a boat parts store downtown at 3:45. I was about to make a call to the geek, but I wanted a cup of coffee in my hand when I did.

His call came while I was in the middle of arranging things. I decided not to keep him waiting. "So what you got for me," I asked.

"First the good, your trust manager is very good. No investigations or anything and his record is quite impressive at managing other peoples money. He could probably retire now and manage his own, but those guys always want more. I had a friend look at your portfolio, no charge, he said you are well diversified and may not make a ton of income, but you shouldn't lose any either. As you agreed there is about two million in pretty liquid assets that can be moved around.

"I knew all that except his background but move on along to the bad," I suggested

"Bad is one EZ Thompson. He has a bunch of assault charges no convictions. He was either cleared or they were dropped. He couldn't have bought them off, so he either intimidated the witnesses or the charges were groundless. They don't keep records like that," the geek said.

Since I had figured EZ was a bad boy, I wasn't shocked. It also didn't disqualify him for the job I wanted him to do. "So who is the ugly the boatyard owner?"

"You got it. He is almost bankrupt. He seems to be telling everyone to hold on, he should have something soon. I would get everything in writing and be sure the work is really done." the geek said.

"Now that could prove dicey since I have a barge in dry dock with him. I think I should have a little talk with Everette," I said. I decided to wait until the next day.

After the phone call I decided it was time to find out what my trustee knew. With that in mind I finished the coffee reheat and then placed the call. They answered the phone with some pretentious asset management bullshit. "This is Sylvia Porter. You guys are supposed to be checking on a piece of property for me," I said.

"Ms Porter let me transfer you to your account manager," the receptionist said.

"Fine lets get to it," I replied.

"Mrs Porter, I Gerald I'm your account manager," he said.

"Fine what have you found out from the bank about that property in foreclosure down in New Wales?" I asked.

"Well we just started looking into it today. I just received your request for information on the land Friday afternoon." he said as if that were an excuse.

"So what have you learned today," I asked holding myself in check with great difficulty.

"We called the bank and put in the request for status of the foreclosure," he said vaguely. "They haven't gotten back to us yet."

"Gerald, if I call the bank, are they going to have a record of your request," I asked. Gerald began to stutter. "That's what I thought. Gerald I think I'm going to move my account, but thanks for what you have done so far."

"Please Ms. Porter, if I had known you wanted immediate action, I would have been on it immediately. I can have a full brochure by tomorrow afternoon."

"This time Gerald you better fucking call me. If I call you again, it will be to fire you, do you quite understand?" I asked.

"Yes ma'am, I will call you no later than 3PM with an update," he said. I hung up without saying goodbye. I really wasn't all that angry about the lack of information today. I had fully expected to find the situation like that. They didn't realize that I was a very hands on person. Well I was pretty sure they did after our little talk.

EZ called on my cell, "Hey there Silvia, is there any word on the marina."

"Not really, is there any chance you can find out from someone in town what the pay off is on the marina's note?"

"You won't tell that I told you will you?" he asked.

"I don't think we know any of the same people," I said.

"My Uncle owned the marina till he lost it. He is going to try to clean his credit up by getting that foreclosure off his records." he said. "The bank is threatening to do a charge back for their loss against him."

"He has to know that I am looking for a reduced price to buy a distress property. It would leave a balance, so there would be a charge back even if I bought it," I replied.

"But he has your barge," EZ said.

"Ah he pads the bill or gets the foreclosure off his record either way he gets his credit line reopened and maybe avoids bankruptcy for a while," I said.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.