Sheriff Porter - Cover

Sheriff Porter

Copyright© 2013 by carniegirl

Chapter 50

"How do you feel about dating employees?" EZ asked.

"I never dated an employee," I said.

"Okay, how do you feel about dating guys you just met?" he asked.

"I have done that a few times," I said.

"Well I'm not an employee yet, so how about we go to a piano bar I know on the mainland?" EZ asked.

"What kind of music does the Piano bar play," I asked.

"What do you like? Better still what do you hate?" he asked.

"I hate fucking Jazz," I said.

"I hate fucking Jazz to," he said. "So how about it."

The Piano bar was in what used to be the dining room of a railroad hotel in New Wales. Someone had rescued the hotel for a B&B. The owners added the piano bar to draw some local business as well. The lady who owned the B&B and her daughter played the piano. They were both very, very good. The mother played show turns and light comedy music, while the daughter did a lot of classic rock. In other words the music was great fun. They served drinks and a couple of different sandwiches with a railroad theme.

I had a glass of wine but nothing more. I didn't even like wine, but it was something to buy. I wanted to support the efforts of the mom and daughter team. The two of them had a derby hat they put on when doing a song made famous by a man. That was so they could sing it just as it was written, and performed originally. It made perfect sense. Of course the place was packed.

There were lots of breaks in the music for conversation. I really did hate when the evening came to an end. I knew it was over when mom said, "Well we are shutting down the music but there are rooms for rent upstairs." She then gave us a very salacious look.

The daughter said, "Oh mom," and pushed her off stage.

"EZ, I need to get back to the motel, where we are staying," I said.

"We?" he asked.

"Yes I am staying with my partner in the Private Investigation Business," I said.

"Your partner, how is it he let you out alone?" he asked.

"It's a she, and she is out with her boyfriend at the moment," I said with a laugh.

"How would you like to come home with me?" he asked.

"Not tonight, but ask me again," I said.

"Does that mean you aren't going to let me manage your property," he said.

"You need to ask me about that later as well. I don't even own it yet," I said.

"I know that's why Ev put me onto you. It was to make owning it more attractive and a good deal for me as well," he said.

"Well that part of it worked. Call me tomorrow afternoon, if your wife will let you." I said and laughed again. Yes I had seen his wedding ring.

He noticed where I was looking. "Sentimental reasons, plus some of it is for business reasons. These days women who owe back rent, want to take it out in trade. It happens more than you would think." He said.

"No I would believe it. I will tell you what, you have 24hours to clean your apartment or house. I will come there for take out pizza and stay at least for a while. I want to see where you live, and who you live with." I said.

"Do I get to see who you live with" he asked.

"Yeah, but on the third date," I suggested. "You probably won't be an employee before we work in three dates." He walked me back to my candy cane truck parked on the street.

"I meant to ask you something," he said.

"Oh what is that?" I asked.

"With all the money you have, why are you still driving this old truck? It is a ten year old piece of crap," he said.

"Hey it's a fucking classic. To be honest I haven't had time to buy anything else. The Barge House has taken most of my spare time."

"Well tomorrow you and Ev can do a walk through and you can go shopping for a car on Monday," he said.

"I don't think so. I have to get the marina questions answered Monday. Then I have to start working on a plan for it." I said.

"Why do you need a plan? Don't you have people for that?" he asked.

"They are there to do what I don't want to do. I want to do this," I said. "I like to tinker." I kissed him quickly and drove off. I wondered how much of that was being rich and how much was liking me for me. Crap, I thought, the rest of my life I will wonder about that, I guess.

When I got home Osborn was still out. I decided to stop worry about her. If I have a job for her to do, I would worry about her being in contact then. Otherwise let her have fun, I decided. As long as I knew she was safe I wouldn't worry. Since there was a message on the phone, "Don't worry mom. I'll be home late," Oz.

I slept until 6AM since it was relatively early when I came home the night before. It was the also the day I got my barge so I was excited about that. I forced myself to leave Osborn sleeping, when I started my run through the streets of Watch Tower. It was just as beautiful as I remembered from the day before. I stopped after several blocks to used my phone. Not to make a call I make pictures for Jeremy. I had promised to send them. I also had need of them for my own reasons.

I hadn't found anywhere for breakfast, so I went straight back to the motel room. I decided that we needed a coffee maker. I wrote it on a small pad I kept to make notes to myself. I had lot of things floating around in my head during that period in my life. I decided the one shot coffee maker would fit the bill again.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.