Sheriff Porter
Chapter 37

Copyright© 2013 by carniegirl

It took them two days to come back with a counter offer. Admit that the arrest was a mistake and throw Morris to the Wolves. A trusted agent with a long time vendetta. The press tip off was solely so that there would be coverage of the false arrest and damage to the Sheriff's reputation. The SBI agent at the center of the controversy has been fired.

"That's all they will give us. That and fifteen million dollars," Rita said. "It's more money than we would ever get from a jury. Let's face it your reputation wasn't snow white."

"They are going to fire Morris, and they are going to have to put the socialistic agenda on the back burner for now. I can live with that and 15million dollars." I said.

"You are going to give me some of that," she asked.

"You do remember you wanted your fee win or lose. That means you forfeited any claim to the money," I said.

"Yes, but you know I brought the Socialist memo to the table," Rita said.

"Rita a whistle blower wanted you to shut them down. You didn't do anything but repeat what he told you," I explained.

"Okay just one million, so I don't feel like a chump," she said.

"Alright, you can have a million of their money less what I already paid you. That is if and when the settlement is dispersed," I said. I really never expected them to disperse the money. The politicians were too slippery to part with money which they could steal.

I took a job from Colonel Martin. He spent most of his time at the swamp, but he still didn't have a commander for the Church Camp. Liam was in charge of the training facility. He wanted me to baby sit the occupants of the two special cabins. One was a very eastern European man about forty. The other was a family of two. None of them spoke very good English. I had one of those electronic translation devices to help, otherwise I was on my own with them. I couldn't leave the safe house area of the compound. I lived in a one room cabin from the church camp days.

"We gave the single gentleman the name Boris, and the couple is Fred and Ginger Smith," Liam explained. "Your job is to keep them happy and away from the trainees."

"It isn't my job to be sure they are safe?" I asked.

"Silvia this is a high security area and no one knows they are here. I think you can relax and consider this a vacation till you get your money," he said.

"How exactly do you know about the money?" I asked.

"Sylvia, Martin knows everything about everything," he told me.

"Terrific I will have every trainee here wanting to marry me for my money. Money I don't even have yet and probably will never get."

"Would you believe the lottery is fixed and you are about to win it?" Liam asked. "That's what I hear."

"Another wild rumor," I said.

"I see you are in no hurry to go back to playing Sheriff," Liam commented.

"It had gotten boring," I said as an explanation, even though I did not owe him one. I hated to admit it, but I kind of missed my old routine. I wasn't much of a babysitter. I for sure wasn't going to sit around in one place explaining to war criminals they couldn't visit McDonald's. Of course I would be happy to send out for a big Mac. I couldn't believe Martin asked me to baby sit these assholes.

I found time to go over to the cabin that pretended to be a gym from time to time. One of those times, I went with the male member of the couple I was protecting. He said a bunch of gibberish in his native language whatever that was. My translator device told me he had asked, if I really boxed. I said into the translator, "Not really."

He said, "One of the guards had mention, we are getting a female boxer. He had boxed in school. So he was curious," He spoke as always through the translator device.

"Sorry, I can help you," I said into the device.

"Just spar with me. It is so boring here," the translator said.

"I know, but I really can't. I punch the bag, I only fight when I have to fight," I said. "Then I don't follow any rules."

"Ah, I did a bit of street fighting as well," he said.

He had no idea how I longed to punch his fucking light out, but I said, "Sorry against the rules."

"Always rules, someday maybe we won't be bothered by the rules," he said.

"Maybe," my translator said.

"Martin," I said into the cell phone. "I am giving you notice. I have sat here for two weeks now waiting for you to come back. You better be back by the weekend or send someone else from the swamp to do your babysitting."

"So now we know what your boredom tolerance is. Three weeks max, maybe four if there is something important at stake," Martin said.

"And exactly why was that important to know?" I asked.

"Some of the things I ask you to do might take a month or more. They probably won't be as boring as this assignment, but they won't necessarily be exciting either."

"Why me," I asked.

"We will talk this weekend, when I bring another operative up to baby sit. Also I have need for a camp commandant. I think I will make that decision by this weekend," Martin said going all mysterious on me.

"Okay you bring the replacement this weekend and I'll play nice till then," I said.

"Fair enough, so how do you like the renovations up there," I said.

"I like most of it just fine. I assume there are lots of electronic surveillance up here," I said.

"Yes, but it only goes so far. It can give us a 2 minute warning at best. Then we are on our own. Then it's our wits and instinct against their determination. So far we haven't needed to protect ourselves, but now the game has changed. Some of the people you are babysitting have some serious enemies. Some of them are even heads of governments. Their enemies would rather they not testify, Martin said.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.