Sheriff Porter - Cover

Sheriff Porter

Copyright© 2013 by carniegirl

Chapter 30

I made a quick stop on the way at Walmart. I introduced myself to Old Roy. I bought a 12 pack of Lamb and Rice in the cans. I also bought a 20lb Bag of kibble. I barely remembered that my dad fed his dogs a combination of both. I also got a plastic coated cable and tie down stake.

Then I made a quick dash to the vet. When I got there they were obviously anxiously awaiting 6PM so they could leave.

"So, do you have the dog ready?" I asked.

"Yes, he is as ready he can be. Are we doing the paperwork now, or are you in too big a hurry," the receptionist asked.

"Listen I'm here and I came for the dog. If you need information I'm quite willing to share. You might want to know that dog was the last breathing thing to see Tommy Novak alive. His mother didn't want him and asked me to take him to the shelter. I sent him here instead. I told the Dogman to tell you I would stand for the treatment. I advised you of the same thing that morning while we were still ass deep working the case of the missing eight year old boy. Now if that bothers you, then trust me I will pay you and you wont see me or the dog again. Just tell me what I need to know, and how much I owe you," I said.

"I'm sorry we had no idea, so this is the Novak's dog?" the receptions asked.

"Yes, have you treated him before?" I asked.

"We neutered him from the shelter. We found the chip when we examined him. It was never activated, but it was one we inserted," she said.

"Then do you know his birthday," I asked. Why I asked that I have no idea.

"Not exactly two years ago in May or June, I believe." She said.

"I believe his fur was covered in blood was it his?" I asked.

"No," she said. "If Tommy had any blood on his clothes the dog might have gotten it from him. Anyway we washed him for you."

"He was covered with fleas so we did a flea bath and gave him a spot treatment of Frontline. It's a flea control treatment that is good for 3 months. If you like we can sell you some." she said.

"I think I will get it on line, but thanks," I said. "How about heart worms?"

"We tested him and he doesn't have any heart worms. There is a preventative treatment. We added a years supply to your order. If you want to buy them on line I can remove them."

"No that's fine. How much does he weigh?" I asked.

"He weighs forty eight pounds. He really should weigh about fifty five pounds. He appears to be slightly malnourished." she said.

"Well, I'll see about that straight away," I said.

"Well he has had all his shots now, so he is good to go. I do need to know his name for the file." the receptionist said.

I remembered an old western movie I saw on TV as a child. A woman asked the hero what his dog's name was and he said "Dog."

The woman in the movie said, "Yes, what's that Dog's name?"

The hero said, "That is his name."

What the hell I thought. "His name is Dog," I replied. When he came out Dog looked and smelled a lot better. He didn't look glad to see me. He just looked sad. I had a pretty good idea that Tommy was the only one in his life who loved him. Now he was gone. I had sympathy for Dog.

"That is going to be $208.50," the receptionist said.

"Fine," I said counting out the gray money. I was getting very close to the end of it. "Do you have a rope or something?"

"Yes ma'am the Dogman left an old rope with him. We kept it in case you wanted it." she said.

"Yes I want it," I said. I tied it to Dog's collar to use as a leash. I never saw a dog look depressed, but Dog did. He followed me to the truck. I opened the door and he knew enough to get inside. There was no joy in his demeanor. He just looked sad.

"It's probably the drugs they shot you full of so they could give you the bath." I said aloud to him. "So Dog what do you think of the truck?" He didn't answer or show that he even heard me.

"I know you feel like shit Dog, but believe me I didn't have anything to do with what happened to you boy." I was careful not to mention Tommy's name. The drive to my place only took a few minutes. Everything was close to everything else at County Seat.

When we got home Dog lay on the floor of the living area while I prepare our dinner. I fixed a mystery meat and mac and cheese for me and a half can of lamb and rice canned dog food for Dog. I tossed in a handful of kibble, just in case he was really hungry.

I fixed Dog up with one of my two giant plastic cereal bowls. It would hold a full meal for him and a hell of a salad, or bowl of brand flakes for me, depending on the time of day. After supper I took dog for a walk in the woods between the storage building and the creek which was my property line.

Dog walked behind me at the way. He stopped to pee and to have a large bowel movement before we headed home. When we got back to the box house, I attached one end of the cable to the deck then measure the distance from the deck to the end of the cable. I twisted the tie down stake into the ground and attached the cable. I left the cable stretched from the deck into the yard. I then went inside to try to win Dog over.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.