Sheriff Porter
Chapter 20

Copyright© 2013 by carniegirl

Most homicides are solved in the first 48hours. I think that must be in big city police departments. Just the lag time between homicide detectives and outside agencies make that impossible for rural agencies. Add to that the lack of qualified career law enforcement officers and you have an idea why rural homicides take longer or never get solved. That also explains why the SBI inserts itself wherever possible.

The latter was attempting to happen, when I awoke the next morning. The excuse Morris was using was the expanding nature of the jurisdiction issues. I went over her head and called Mission. When I got the message from West, upon my arrival at the courthouse, I made the call.

"Come on Mission we are making arrests and interrogating people as we speak. You know Eddie Simpson is a qualified investigator and he is on the case." I said.

"And we know you are an inexperienced law enforcement officer with a history of animosity toward the SBI. Justified or not, they take that in consideration when making this kind of decision." she said.

"Okay, tell you what you do honey. You pass this on to your superiors. They give us 48 hours and then I will accept your involvement, if they don't, I will file a restraining order and use the fact that we are close to an arrest and you want to sidetrack the investigation for some reason known only to you. Honey you might guess we have a judge here who will issue a short injunction at the very least."

"I expect if you do that, we will try to get you out of office as incompetent," she said.

"Then we will just have to go to war," I said. "So do what you have to do. But if Morris shows up, I might just put her ass in jail." I slammed the phone down. I expect if West was listening, that had to hurt.

I went to Eddie's office where he was drinking coffee and reviewing files. "Come with me Eddie," I said. Once we were in the mens room with the door locked I made sure the one stall was empty and turned on the water in the sink and flushed the toilet.

"Eddie get access to the black stripper named Kara. I have it on good authority one of her boyfriends left the club with Lucy that night. Get a name and we may have our killer. This came from an anonymous tip." I said.

"Kara got it." he said. Than added "That SBI bitch Morris hates you. She led the raid on the club. I expect I can sweet talk her. If not I'll have Osborn try. I have no idea which way Morris rolls," he said leering at me.

"Who gives a crap which way she rolls. She is a total bitch," I said. "Mission just gives her assignments up here to piss me off."

"You are probably right," he said to my back as I unlocked the door leaving him to turn off the water. Eddie was good about not asking where I got my information, and keeping it quiet that he got it from me. He wanted the conviction as much as the arrest.

"I'll try, if all else fails." I said. I went back to my office but I did not forget about it. I signed crap that Mrs West refused to sign until noon.

"Mrs. West, come on I'll take you to lunch," I said.

"Why?" she asked.

"Is there some reason you don't want to have lunch with me," I asked.

"I eat healthy Sheriff, and the word is you eat like an animal. Also there is the rumor that you swing both ways. My husband would have a fit. He isn't very liberal." She did say the last with a smile.

"Well the invitation is open most anytime. Of course you will have to order from the menu at the pub. It only has a two items on it most days. You can have this or that," I said.

"I'll keep that in mind. Now you have taken care of all your grown up duties and you can go play now," she said with a twinkle in her eye. She was proud that she had figured it out.

On my way out I passed Osborn in the hall. "Do you know if Detective Simpson has made arrangements to talk the dancer from the club?"

"I know he was trying to, but I don't know if he did," she replied.

"Okay, I'll try to find him." I said as I walked to his office.

Since he wasn't in the office, I walked to the radio room. Do you know where Simpson is hiding?"

"He is checked out for lunch, but I don't know where," the dispatcher said.

"No problem," I said. I dialed him on the phone. It went to voice mail so I left a message. "Eddie I'm checking in. Where do we stand on the dancer? Call me when you get this."

I wanted Eddie to see her and then work out something for her, if he needed to get her to talk. If it came to me, I would have to refuse her any deal till the ADA made it. Just in case she came back to try and bite me.

I was juggling a murder investigation and trying to keep my past in the past, so my nerves were a mess. "Hello," I said into the phone when Eddie called. "Did the SBI cooperate?"

"Actually I was surprised but Morris came right up with the offer to share. We can have access, if she can stand behind the glass to make sure nothing gets hidden." Eddie said.

"She told Morris that she knew me, in the biblical sense," I said.

"That would be my guess. If that is true you might as well sit in since Morris is going to know anyway." Detective Simpson said.

"Okay, when can we have her. We have to pick her up they aren't holding her. If she hasn't skipped, she is probably at her apartment in Abbottsville." Eddie said. "By the way Morris asked me to go personally, so you won't lose her."

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.