Sheriff Porter - Cover

Sheriff Porter

Copyright© 2013 by carniegirl

Chapter 10

I fell into bed and asleep. The next morning I called Mrs. West before I showered even. "What's the word from the hospital?" I asked.

"Two kids dead, but all the others will be fine in a few days," she said. "Lots of broken bones but none too serious, mostly emotional trauma."

"Anything on the woman we arrested last night?" I asked.

"How do they say it on TV. She has lawyered up, thanks to the public defender," Mrs West said.

"That should really help her out," I said. "Are they waiting on me to have a run at her like I suggested."

"Detective Simpson is so far a no show," she said.

"Call his old ass and tell him to come in to work. We are going to have a talk with Rose Briggs," I suggested. "Tell him I promise to just watch. After all I have a lot to learn."

So after a shower I made it to the courthouse fairly quickly. Eddie was waiting in Mrs. West office, which was beside mine. I still hadn't hired a receptionist so things were really running on the cheap in Warren County.

"Mornin' Boss," Eddie said.

"Morning Detective Simpson, so what is the plan for Rosie?" I asked. "Are you planning to barbecue her or fry her ass?" I asked.

"I like the way you think but he has a lawyer. I have called the Public Defender to send someone over. They are going to send one, but the court my appoint her a practicing lawyer. They don't want to have anyone say she had inadequate defense, when they burn her ass."

"So what the fuck are we doing here Detective?" I asked.

"This is a formality. We need to try to interview her. She will refuse to answer on advice of her council. Then when we return her to her cell the Public Defender well partition the court for an experience criminal lawyer for Rose."

"She is guilty as original sin. Why don't we just take her out and see if either of those kids father's want to shoot her in the back of the head?" I asked.

"Hell of an idea, why don't you run for president next," Eddie said sarcastically.

"Sometimes we are so full of bullshit," I said. "So how long so we have to wait for the public defender to show up?"

"Not long, they said he would be right over," Eddie said.

"Debbie, from channel 8, is here and she wants a statement," Mrs West said.

"Send her in, wait fifteen minutes, then come tell me the interview is ready whether it is or not," I said.

Within five minutes Debbie and her camera man were in my office. "Well Debbie for channel 8, it's almost good to see you," I lied.

"Thank you Sheriff. I am glad we can move on from the contentious election," She said.

"I didn't say I have moved on from all the hurtful things you said, but I did say it was almost good to see you. I have some good news for the people of Warren County," I said.

"Sheriff I understand you have captured the driver of the car that struck those kids at the high school last night," Debbie of Channel 8 said.

"Well we have the owner of the car who was apprehended hiding behind a dumpster at the scene. I'm not sure we can say more at this time. We are holding her until the investigation is complete."

"You don't usually say so little Sheriff. You are usually outspoken on these matters." She said.

"Even Ted Bundy had the right to a fair trial. Debbie you should know that," I said. "There will be a trial in this case one day, and we want to do this thing right. So all I can say is the person we are holding is the owner of the car that killed those two kids and injured six more children. She was also apprehending hiding on the scene. She has a attorney now, so this is the last statement I will be making. You will need to talk to the district attorney in the future. Your viewers can draw their own conclusions."

I said, "There is one more thing I would like to say. My heart goes out to the families of all these children. I do hope those children who were spared got a larger than usual hug last night. My prayers are for the families of those children who will never be able to hug their kids again."

The cameras were gone when Mrs. West said, "That was beautiful Sheriff."

"Mrs West, that was how I felt. It wasn't politics. It was just the easiest way to remind all the parents in the county to hug their kids tonight while they can."

"Hello," I said into the office phone.

"The Public defender is here," Eddie said.

"I will be right there," I said. "Well Mrs. West Duty calls. If anything of importance comes along. I will be on the cell phone."

"Well Rose I'm glad you have an attorney. I don't expect you to be tell me any fairy tales. Better to hear I refuse to answer on advice of council, than some laughable attempt to mitigate your prosecution."

"Huh," she said.

"It means he would rather throw the book at you than even consider lowering the charges. See if you say nothing, we can charge you with second degree murder, rather than say vehicular man slaughter. The charge for one is 25 to life the other is 10 to 15 with parole an option at about 7 years. But hey we like 25to life. We can't make you talk, but we can make you listen.

See it's your car. Yours are the only prints on the steering wheel, we found you hiding behind a dumpster, not the kind of thing the jury is going to ignore. Rosie they were kids. Kids coming out of a basketball game. Do you have any idea how that is going to play with the jury. Now you be sure you listen to the lawyer that the court appoints you. He will be looking out for his career first, and you maybe a distant second. Hey I wouldn't feel right if I didn't give you a chance to help yourself," Simpson said.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.