Vortex - Cover

Vortex

Copyright© 2013 by Kaffir

Chapter 3

Wendy was still in an emotional turmoil when Tim dropped her off, elated that she had got the job and could do something in recompense for Rick and dumbstruck at Mr Richards's generosity: a bedroom and her own sitting room, driving lessons and the use of his late wife's car, and a hundred and fifty quid a month. She had never dreamt of living in such comfort. She hugged herself and danced around her flat.

She liked Mr Richards too. He was warm and friendly, gentle too she sensed. How he had laughed when she asked him whether he intended her to sleep with him. That was a relief. If he had suggested it even as a possibility she would have backed out. She might be a single mum but she had never again had sex after that one occasion that caused Rick. There had been times when she had thought she might have to resort to casual prostitution to make ends meet but had managed to avoid it.

Tim was pleased too. She had turned out to be a pleasant young woman, much the same age as Erica at a guess. He reckoned she would quickly settle in and become an asset. He wondered whether she and Erica would get on. He could see no reason for them not to and hoped that they would. He also wondered what Henrietta's reaction would be and chuckled; she would certainly be surprised but if she started bossing Ms Waters around or talking down to her he would give her short shrift.

"I really can't go on calling her Ms Waters though, very stiff and formal," he thought. "I'm not sure I want her calling me Tim though. I wonder if I'm being old fashioned. I must ask Erica."

He rang her that evening and told her the news.

"Well done, Daddy!" was Erica's delighted response. "You obviously liked her."

"Yes, I did. She was desperately shy to start with and there were some tears but she said that offering to work for me was not just to make up for what her son had done but also, in a way, revenge. It seems he was a complete tearaway and when he became big enough was not averse to knocking her about."

"Ugh! Is she small?"

"Yes and malnourished I'd guess. She's thin as a rake and her face is gaunt. However once she starts eating properly again I think she'll become very pretty.

"What does she look like?"

"Dark hair, brown eyes. Tidily dressed but her clothes looked pretty tired."

"Poor thing. How old is she?"

"About your age at a guess."

"And when does she start?"

"Tomorrow week on a three month trial period."

"That sounds sensible."

"For both of us I reckon. Um, Erica sweety, there is one thing I'd like your advice on. I can't go on calling her Ms Waters but I'm not sure I want her calling me Tim. Am I being a stuffy old codger?"

"No, I don't think so. I know Christian names are used much more these days and it will probably become more common still but she is your employee after all."

"Thanks, sweety. That's rather a relief."

"Good. Mind you that doesn't mean that you aren't a stuffy old codger."

"Cheeky girl!" Tim laughed. "Give my love Ria and Mark."

"Thanks, Daddy. 'Bye.

"'Bye, sweety."

Betty dropped by the following morning bearing a steak and kidney pie. Tim told her about Wendy and she was pleased.

"I look forward to meeting her," she said. "I may be able to give her some useful local tips like the Farm Shop and so on."

"Thanks. That's kind of you, Betty. I'm sure she'll appreciate it."

Henrietta appeared two days later in time for a drink and lingered to natter.

"Hm!" she said. "Well I'm glad you stipulated a three month trial."

"For both our sakes," replied Tim which silenced her.

Wendy's collection and installation went without a hitch on Saturday and they took the opportunity to do a supermarket shop. Richard had ordered a debit card, with a limit £150, for her but it had not arrived by then so he had to use his own. Wendy was astounded at the trust he was placing in her and said so.

"No," he smiled. "I'm pretty sure I've got you sussed out and that you won't clean me out and do a bunk."

"No," she whispered.

"Now, um," went on Tim slightly hesitantly, "would you mind me calling you Wendy. Ms Waters sounds so formal and pompous?"

She gave him a beaming smile. "I'd like that very much but, if you don't mind, I'd rather go on calling you Mr Richards."

He smiled back, problem solved. "Fine with me," he said.

Apologetically she asked if he would mind if she started the cookery side of things slowly. Accordingly they merely had sausages, mashed potatoes and peas for supper that evening but she did roast a chicken on Sunday. She was relieved that he only wanted bread and cheese for lunch every day.

Henrietta came round on Monday to inspect her and was pleasant enough to her but not exactly welcoming. Tim sensed a certain froideur but graciously accepted it as shyness.

Betty was completely different, warm smiling and friendly. She brought another steak and kidney pie.

"I just thought it might help the wheels go round until you've got the hang of the place. Now, you buzz off, Tim, and do something useful while I fill Wendy in on local things."

Tim shrugged and went off to his study.

"Now then, Wendy my dear, let me tell you what goes on. We've got a village shop but things cost a bomb. I suspect Tim will prefer you to use the supermarkets in Gloucester and only use it in an emergency. There's also a farm shop about a mile up the road. I get all my vegetables there and my bread and eggs. Apart from loaves Lil, who runs it, also does really good rolls and delicious scones. Ooh! Do you drive?"

Wendy shook her head. "No but Mr Richards's is going to pay for me to take lessons and then let me use his wife's car."

"Good. Well I normally go into Gloucester on a Wednesday to do my weekly shop. It seems to be less crowded then. I'd be more than happy to give you a lift until you can drive yourself."

"That's very kind of you, Mrs Tomlinson. Thank you."

"Betty, my dear. Mrs Tomlinson makes me sound even older than I am. Anyway, it'd be fun. We could treat ourselves to lunch now and again."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.