Walkabout - Cover

Walkabout

Copyright© 2013 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 12

Time to dicker, we went back to Rachel's office and started negotiations to buy the property. The asking price was three hundred thousand dollars, my job now was to get the best deal I could.

"Well Tony, did you folk make a decision on the Anderson property?"

"We're certainly interested Rachel, the house is in a rather poor state at the moment, can we knock the price down to compensate?"

"Mrs Anderson was expecting to get the three hundred Tony, there's two houses on nearly two acres of land, even with the poor state of repairs it's still worth more than that."

"To the right person it probably would be worth that Rachel, unfortunately for Mrs Anderson, not that many people want to buy two houses on the one block, I think it could be quite a while before someone like us comes along. We would like to make an offer of two seventy thousand, would you see if Mrs Anderson would accept that?"

"I can try but I don't think she would be prepared to go that low, I can't divulge her bottom figure but it's a fair bit higher than your offer, but let's see." She phoned the seller and told her of my offer, after a bit of discussion out of our hearing range, she came back with a smile on her face.

"I spoke with the lady, as expected, she thought your offer was too low, however she said she would be prepared to meet you half way if it was a cash deal, if you have to go for finance the original price still holds. That would make the new price two eighty five, can we settle on that, cash of course?"

"That's a fair offer Rachel, what do you ladies think?"

"There is a lot to be done, but I don't think we should be too pushy, what do you think Donna?"

"Yeah, that seems reasonable, I'm happy with that if you guys are."

"Looks like we have a deal Rachel, work out what taxes we have to pay and I'll get a bank cheque in the morning. Well ladies, looks like we are home owners. Do you know anyone who does house cleaning?"

"Yes, we have a lady, a Mrs Wallace who often works for us, usually cleaning up between rentals, I can contact her if you like."

"Good, as soon as all the paperwork is complete I would like her to make a start, full clean up inside to make it habitable. I'll arrange to get the services connected beforehand."

With every thing settled we decided on an evening meal at the local restaurant to celebrate.

When Mrs Wallace had completed the cleaning, we were ready to move in, she had done a terrific job, it looked a hundred percent better. The move in complete and were ready to relax for a while, at least I was, Donna and Tess went into full housekeeper mode, planning to redecorate the whole shebang."

Things were going well at the workshop, Jane phoned me up one day and asked me to come out to the house for a meeting. Once we were settled with a cup of coffee in our hands, Jane began.

"Since you took up the reins Tony, the workshop has gone from strength to strength. We are now faced with a new problem, Ray is recovering nicely but ... we don't think he will every be fully functional enough to able to go back full time running the business; the doctor is of the opinion that the stress could bring on another stroke. We realise you paused your odyssey to help us out, something we will be ever grateful for, now we are offering an inducement to continue running the shop; Ray and I would like you to consider a third share in the business if you continue the good work you've been doing."

"Ray, Jane, I'm honoured that you think that highly of me, as far as the odyssey is concerned, it's dead in the water. Since I've met Donna and young Tracie, and now that Tess and Taffy have come into my life I want to settle down. Your offer makes that decision even more attractive so yes, count me in; the only thing I insist on is the company still trades under the R&J Hartley banner."

"Thank you Tony, Jane and I have been agonising over what would happen if you left us. I still want to have a say in what's going on but I won't get under your feet as far as the day to day operations go. We've pre empted your acceptance and had the legal folk draw up the necessary documents, we just need to go into the office and sign them, congratulations partner."

After a lot of handshakes, kisses and hugs we drove into town to complete the partnership, my head was still reeling as I returned to the workshop. Stopping just down the road I looked at the shop and thought 'wow I now own a third of all that.' When I went into the office I asked Donna and Tess to come for a walk with me.

"What's up Tony, you seem awfully serious, is there something wrong?"

"Good lord no Tess, let's just walk for a bit and I'll tell you the news." The three of us walked outside to an area where we could talk. "The good news is that I am now a third partner in R&J Hartley Engineering. Jane and Ray offered me the partnership to stay on and run the business." I had two squealing ladies hugging and kissing me.

"Wow! our man is a part owner in the biggest business in town, gosh, Ray and Jane must think highly of you Tony."

"Thank you Tess, I'm really proud that they think I'm worth a partnership, it now means we must pull our fingers out and make the business even better. I spoke to Ray about extending the East wing to accommodate more work, we seem to be attracting more jobs from the two other mining companies. He's given me the go ahead to speak to an architect and cost it out."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.