Walkabout - Cover

Walkabout

Copyright© 2013 by Anthony Concept

Chapter 11

Early Saturday morning we arrived at the airfield, Tracie and I went into the office and signed the papers and lodged a flight plan, basically, fly to Jordan field and back the next afternoon. The paperwork done, we went out to the plane a Cessna 206. I loaded what little baggage we had in the luggage compartment and helped Donna and Tess into the back with Taffy sitting between them. Tracie was doing the pre-flight check while this was happening.

"What's Tracie doing touching everything Grandad?"

"That's a pre-flight check love, every time we go up we make sure the plan's safe to fly." I finished doing the pre-flight with her and we boarded the plane. Tracie started the engine and did an instrument check, giving me a grin she called the flight control.

"Cessna 206 to control, ready for takeoff, destination Jordon Field, over"

"Control to Cessna 206, clear to takeoff, a two knot cross wind east to west, have a good trip, over"

"Cessna 206 thank you, over and standing by."

"What's she doing Tony, shouldn't you be doing all of that?"

"Tracie's going to fly us Tess, she fly's most of our trips, sometimes I let her wag school if I need to fly out to a customer. When she's old enough she will have enough hours up for an unrestricted licence."

"Wow! can you teach me how to fly Grandad?"

"I don't see why not, unless your mum objects that is."

"I'm just too gob smacked to say anything at the moment."

Tracie took us up in a text book take off, "It might get a bit bumpy when we go over the divide, nothing to be concerned about though. Tracie has everything under control, just keep your seatbelts on."

Sure enough we hit a few air pockets and updraughts, every time we hit one Tracie giggled "Rollercoaster." Once the others saw how confident she was the relaxed, soon we were over the divide and nearing Jordan.

About fifteen km out she made contact with Jordan Field, "Cessna 206 approaching from WSW requesting permission to land ETA five minutes, over"

"Jordan Field to Cessna 206, clear to land, no wind, tie down near the green shed, over."

"Thank you Jordan control, over and standing by."

Another text book landing, she was starting to show me up a bit. Refuelled and tied down we caught a taxi and headed to Tess' house, I could see what she meant when she said there was more than enough to buy a house in Ellinbank, the house stood on an acre block and was a solid brick construction in excellent condition. Judging by the outside she would have no difficulty finding a buyer. The inside proved to be just as impressive, tastefully painted with a modern kitchen.

"Very nice Tess, very nice, I'd be very surprised if you couldn't find a buyer." said Donna, "I love the kitchen, makes mine look rather drab."

Once we were settled in I suggested we go for a counter tea at the local pub instead of Tess trying to feed us all at short notice. There was a unanimous "YES" Dona recommended using a taxi, that way we could have a drink and not have to drive home afterwards.

Tess drove me around Jordan the next morning, I marvelled at the changes since I was last there. The mill was gone and the van park had gone through a major change to it's appearance. The Mechanics Hall brought a lump to my throat as I remembered Sally and I dancing there. Back at the house we discussed Tess' plans for getting the house ready for sale, Donna asked if she could be spared at work for a week, if so she would like to stay and help Tess, they seemed to have hit it off well. Taffy wanted to come back with Tracie and me. After some do's and don'ts Tess OK'd it. She planned to put the furniture and things she didn't immediately need into storage until she had a new home.

Time to head for home, Tess run us out to the air field, as we were doing the pre flight Tracie suggested she sit in the back and let Taffy have a flying lesson when we reached altitude. Once aboard Taffy asked why Tracie wasn't in the front.

"I'm a bit tired Taff, you can watch Tony and see how to fly."

After contacting flight control we took off, explaining what I was doing once we were at altitude I showed Taffy how the controls worked and suggested she take over.

"Can I Grandad, I won't break anything will I?"

There was a giggle from the back seat, "Just what I said the first time Taff, don't worry, Tony will make sure everything's OK."

The flight back was uneventful, I took the controls over the divide, apart from that Taffy flew the whole trip back with me doing the decent and landing. I signed off and we drove back to the house, the two girls giggling and making plans. I called Donna and Tess, letting them know we had arrived home, Taffy was excitedly telling her mum how I'd let her fly the plane back, Tess was a bit concerned but I told her that everything was under control. Tracie had school the next day so I suggested to Tess that I'd see if the principle would let Taffy sit in on her classes and get to meet a few new people, she thought that was a good idea.

I made an appointment to see the principle, a Mr Brough, the next afternoon, after introducing myself and Taffy, I told him that my daughter Tess was settling up her estate in Jordan and would be setting up residence in Ellinbank. Taffy would be enrolled when she returned. I suggested that Taffy might be able to sit in with Tracie until her enrolment was completed.

"This is a bit outside the norm Mr Watson but seeing as how young Taffy will be a student in the near future I'll give my approval, I will write a note for you Taffy, give that to the teacher when you go into a class, remain with Tracie though, OK?"

"Thank you Mr Brough, I'm looking forward to being a student here, Tracie thinks it's a good school to be in."

"Well that's nice to know, we try to make learning a pleasure young lady."

I thanked him and said that Taffy would attend her first class in the morning.

The next morning I dropped the girls of at school and then went to work; Tom had everything under control so I left him in charge. My next stop was the local real estate agent, I might as well start the ball rolling and look at a few of the listings. Rachel Porter was an elderly lady who had been in the real estate business for many years, after introducing myself I told her my daughter was interested in purchasing a house.

"Well Mr Watson, what price range will she be looking at, that will give us a starting point?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.