Walkabout
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2013 by Anthony Concept

Back at the house, we unloaded the Coaster and vacuumed the floor, it always amazes me the amount of sand that gets transported inside, even with leaving my shoes off. With everything shipshape we went in and prepared a quick meal of fried rice, washed down with a Crown larger. Helen decided to stay the night and get an early start in the morning. We had an early night, cuddling and finally making satisfying love.

A quick breakfast at some ungodly hour and Helen slipped out of the garage and headed for her flat with me getting ready to head for the workshop.

Once everything was underway in the shop I took Ed aside, "Ed, I've been giving some thought to retiring, I've still got reasonably good health and I'm not hurting for a dollar so I think now is a good time to do something about it."

"Oh, does that mean you're going to sell the workshop?" He looked worried.

"Not quite Ed, what I have in mind needs to be talked out and I think Jan should be involved, can we have lunch together, the three of us?"

"Sure, I'll give Jan a call right away." With that he went and called his wife.

...

When we met at lunchtime I explained my thoughts. "As I told Ed Jan, I'm thinking of retiring, what I have in mind is to sell you and Ed a half share in workshop. I will finance it so there's no need to go into debt, Ed will run the business and we'll share the profits 50/50 after taxes. I think Ed has done a great job since he started with me and this is one way I can show my appreciation, oh, and I still get an income. When the loan is paid off we'll have another look at the profit sharing. That seem to be a fair deal?"

"Wow, I'm stunned Tony, what brought this on?"

"Years ago I was given the same opportunity and it set me up for life, now's the time to continue the legacy. You've shown me that you're more than competent to run the show and I think it's time to hand over the reins. I plan on continuing a trip that I had to cut short many years ago.

"It's not going to be immediately, I've still got to finish serving my stint as Councillor plus I've quite a few loose ends to tie up. As from today though Ed, you are in charge, the 'boss cocky' OK?"

"I'm still stunned Tony, never in my wildest dreams did I think this would happen. I can't thank you enough."

"Me too Tony, I know Ed's a good man but you must have a lot of faith in him to hand him an offer like this."

"Just continue the way you've been going Ed and I'll be more than happy. Jan, I do have a lot of faith in Ed, he's been a big part of the development of the workshop and this is his reward.

"I'll be borrowing Andy to help me prepare for my trip, I know he had a lot of good ideas planned before his wife put the kybosh on things, may as well make good use of them."

...

The weekly Council meeting was scheduled for ten o'clock, so I dressed up a bit and headed for the Council Chambers. Ten sharp, Helen strode in, glaring at me she flashed a fancy ring. "Good morning wimpy dick" she snarled.

"Good morning dried up old prune" I responded. The Chairman called the meeting to order.

"Secretary will read today's reports." He said with a smirk.

"Friday twelfth of this month Major Tom Price ret. reported seeing a large black BMW entering the garage of number 4 Willow wood drive, Saturday the thirteenth a red and yellow motor home left the premises, to return on Sunday the fourteenth, Monday the fifteenth said BMW left the premises at an early hour. End of report."

Damn Major Tom Price ret. The nosy old bugger served as an observer during the second world war. He was positioned on a Pacific island watching Japanese fleet movements. One would think he'd had enough of observing, seems like every movement in Willow wood drive is monitored. Helen looked gob smacked and I must admit the wind was taken out of my sails as well.

"Harrumph," said the Chairman, "Looks like the jigs up, doesn't it?"

Helen looked at me and started to giggle, "Looks like the shit's just hit the fan Tony. Yes Mr Chairman, Councillor Watson and myself have decided on a truce, may we now get on with more pressing business?" You gotta give it to her, smooth and self assured.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.