The Accidental Watch. 8th in the STOPWATCH Series - Cover

The Accidental Watch. 8th in the STOPWATCH Series

Copyright© 2013 by Old Man with a Pen

Chapter 3

In case you're interested ... or if you're not ... the Baltic 80 was lost sometime during the night on the Chicago to Mackinaw Race. The son claimed the keel fell off and the boat capsized. Lake Michigan is pretty deep around the islands... 793 feet deep. There was a lawsuit. The court insisted on evidence.

As odd as it may seem, there are many deep ROVs, or Remote Operated Vehicles in use throughout the world. There are even a couple in use on the Lakes. ROV's are piloted through a cable which connects to the surface ship, they have no difficulty reaching the lake bed.

AUVs, or Autonomous Underwater Vehicles are programmed in advance, and receive no instruction from the surface. The tip of the mast of the Baltic was photographed standing upright one hundred and forty-seven feet above the bottom ... sails still spread.

With remote cameras taping the descent, the boat was found up-right standing on it's keel. The keel was still attached. There was enough air trapped in the foam cored carbon fiber mast to keep the boat upright for awhile.

There was a huge gash in the stern. Collision with parties unknown was the verdict. Mr. Meat Man had to pay all court costs.

Insurance fraud was suspected. The company was investigating.

Incompetent maintenance is actionable. Collision at sea is, too ... if the guilty party can be found.

Edmond and Persephone were out of it, in any case. They returned home and to work just in time for a bank robbery and a holdup at the convenience store.

A peninsula is a stupid place for a bank robbery. There are only so many exits. The bridges north and east were blocked and the roads south were patrolled. Eventually a pair of ultraviolet dyed 'tourists' were caught trying to exit south. Ski masks, shotguns and the bank bag were found under the backseat. Snacks from the convenience store were in the trash on the floor.

Lately, it is the general rule for banks to report twice as much money stolen as was actually taken. This is to create distrust between criminals.

"Duh ... the radio said you got thus and so ... How come there's only half as much? You holding out on me?"

After the interviews with half the Federal Alphabet, Persephone accosted Ed at home.

She was standing at the door, hands on hips and looking down her perfect nose at him. "Edmond Chalmers Huntly," she said.

'Uhoh, ' he thought. 'Full name ... mom?'

She continued, "You are the guardian of the wealth and the mists. Our lives have turned a corner. We need to blow this joint ... at least for a while. Work has become dangerous ... for both of us. Let's get the hell out of Dodge. I want to play with gentle people. There's a new circle near Auburn, Alabama. I'd like to go."

She was expecting an argument ... she didn't get one. Ed had looked down the bore of a twelve gauge pump ... and discovered that he loved Persephone Huntly far too much to make her a widow. He'd already quit. Not given notice ... quit. He called the head office before he called the cops.

After he called the cops he called the unemployment office ... Extenuating circumstances ... Sure he could draw. He laughed all the way home ... it might be aftershock ... he was pretty terrified.

So, he explained the unemployment situation to his wife and she opened her purse and exposed a wet pair of panties in a ziplock. "I wonder if this counts?" she mused.

Within a week the pair had received confirmation that they could, indeed, draw fifty two weeks at sixty six percent. With millions of bucks in the bank and a multimillion dollar residence they were still eligible for unemployment ... but they couldn't draw food stamps. What a rip!!

Ed asked Seph, "what do you know about the airplanes that weren't sold? I have the titles ... in the safe ... I think."

"Not a thing ... they're in Lansing ... wanna go see?"

"I'm assuming, they're pretty much junk."

"Can't be sure until we look ... where are they?"

"At the Airport."

"Which one?"

"Phone call is cheaper than gas."

"We have to quit thinking like normal people ... we have money."

"Waste not, want not."

"Yeah ... regardless of the money, we're normal people."

The Lansing Airport is mostly in Clinton County but a tiny part is in Ingham County. It wasn't Long Distance from their house phone.

"Hi." Persephone has the best phone voice.

"We have a couple three airplanes we've misplaced."

"No ... it's not an emergency."

"They were in long time storage."

"Harold ... Franklin's."

"Oh ... they did?"

"Where?"

"Sharpe Field?"

"Where is that?"

"Alabama?"

"Got a number?"

The laughter on the other end wasn't at all funny. At least, not on Seph's part.

"Still the same name?"

"I see."

"Google it?"

"Thank you."

She hung up the receiver.

Edmond had already turned on the MAC PRO.

He two fingered in the info and pressed enter.

"Here it is ... Franklin's Aviation, Cessna Sales and Service. Flight Training and Restoration. Sharpe Field, Tuskegee Alabama."

Enquiring minds want to know, Seph asked, "Do they have a web presence?"

"Whoa boy howdy ... they sure do ... and an 800 number. Uptown folks ... really First Street."

Their house had an actual dial phone. Ed told Seph the number and she called.

"Franklins?"

"I'd like to know if you moved our long term storage aircraft when you moved?"

"Just a sec," she cradled the phone. "Ed ... the titles?"

"Just a minute ... is this Harold?"

"Persephone Huntly."

"Pleased to speak with you, too. Ed has gone to the safe to look for the titles."

"Saint Johns."

"Michigan."

"You did?"

"Paid for?"

"Restored?"

"Ferry flighted them down?"

"I know this sounds silly ... but ... what are they?"

"That's ok ... uncalled for ... but OK."

"Ed ... he laughed at me."

"Harold ... I have the titles."

"Holy shit ... oops ... I wasn't prepared for that many."

"Estate Auction."

"We got the leftovers."

"I think they were poorly researched before the sale. We never would have got them if people had known."

"Pure laziness ... that's why we got the boats, too."

"You have one of those there?"

"On a trailer?"

"Yes Sir ... we'll bring the whole famdamily."

"Sorry ... the titles ... and for the boats, too."

"Bye."

"Heck, I forgot to find out what they are." She looked to Ed as the fount of all knowledge,

"I have titles for a Stearman Staggerwing ... whatever that means. Three Waco aircraft, one cabin class, the others open cockpit. Holy shit ... MIG 15. Texan ... what ever that is?"

"He has one of the boats and would we please come get it ... it's taking up space in his big hangar. It can't be very big, it's on a trailer."

Little did they know.


It took a couple of weeks before the were squared away. The Kaulocamloes promised to haunt ... and take care of the house and grounds. By now, the cops were in on the haunting ... it was considered a good thing.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.