Concordia - Cover

Concordia

Copyright© 2013 by A.A. Nemo

Chapter 6

January 31 - February 2, 2012

Tuesday I made use of one of the vacant offices at the law firm compliments of David Ryan. I needed somewhere with a secure internet connection as I sorted the huge number of securities owned by Robert Burns, plus I needed to make some trades. It was time to begin converting his assets to cash. I was always a nervous investor when it came to the stock market and, now since I had all this wealth, it was time to pull the cash out. Plus the market was building up a head of steam on the upside, so it was time to take advantage of the investors who thought everything was coming up roses here and overseas. I had arrived early to catch the stock market opening and didn't see Carolyn until after eleven.

I was hunched over my laptop having just completed dumping all Burns' presale shares of Facebook to a private equity firm when she came breezing into my borrowed office. Her wide smile and sparkling green eyes told me that her buoyant mood was something more than she was happy to see me. I was surprised by her strong and affectionate hug as I stood to greet her. She stepped back, still holding my hands, and said,

"Robert, I don't know how to thank you!"

I had some of my own very inappropriate ideas as I examined her. Her lawyer suit was dark blue and the jacket was fitted perfectly over a white silk blouse. The skirt came to her knees and her legs were delightfully encased in sheer dark hose. From her carefully brushed blonde hair to her high-heel black pumps she was everyman's dream of the sexy professional.

"Well, tell me your news, and I'll let you know." I replied with a grin. She had not missed my appraisal. I love being around beautiful women, so sue me! I thought.

Her cheeks pinked a bit as she gushed, "I called Michael this morning ... my brother had his cell number ... and he actually answered ... and we're having lunch today!"

I squeezed her hands and said, "Carolyn, that's terrific. I hope it's someplace romantic, and you can spend some time together."

She laughed, "How about the cafeteria at the medical research center? Romantic enough for you?"

"Well, it's a start." I deadpanned, smiling at her.

We let go of each other's hands perhaps realizing at the same time that "we" as a couple was no longer a possibility. Carolyn looked at me, and I detected perhaps a hint of disappointment. I certainly was, but having sex with her, as pleasurable as that idea seemed, would have changed our relationship, and looking ahead I knew I wanted to keep Carolyn as a friend without complications. And having her in my debt was not a bad idea. In addition, if I ever was in need of a good lawyer I'd know who to call, especially if this charade I was pulling was ever exposed. Anyway, let her wonder what she passed up! Of course, I would wonder too.

She looked uncertain for just a second and then stepped forward and gave me a light kiss on the lips. Her lips were warm and moist, and my regret factor climbed. Fortunately she stepped back quickly, her cheeks coloring again.

"Got to run. If you need anything at all, ask Teri my assistant."

"Carolyn." I said as she turned to leave.

She stopped and turned and I said, "Good luck ... if Michael is half as smart as he seems to be, then he'll grab hold of you and never let go."

Carolyn stepped back to me and put her cool hand to my face. "Thank you, Robert."

"And by the way, I thought of what you can do to thank me ... send me a wedding invitation!"

She laughed, "You'll definitely be first on the list!"

I went back to my spreadsheets and computer trading and about an hour later, Carolyn's twenty-something assistant stuck her head in the door and asked if I wanted to join her for lunch.

"Your job to take care of me?" I gently chided, looking her over. She was a very attractive curly-haired redhead, wearing a nicely fitted blue cashmere sweater and slim gray wool pants over black high-heel boots.

"Of course not, Mr. Burns, but Ms. Peters left instructions that no paying client should go unfed!"

So I took her out to lunch and discovered that she was a single mom of a two year-old, a Chicago native, and as smart as they come. We walked through the snow to a local soup and sandwich place and sat for half an hour enjoying the warmth of the place, and I had to admit, each other's company. She was funny, and when I mentioned Chad Ellington's visit to our table the night before, she made a face and simply said, "That asshole."

Putting Chad aside, she went on to regale me with humorous stories about their former firm, but it didn't seem to bother her that it was most likely going under. She had worked for Carolyn since she had joined the firm five years ago and was so pleased Carolyn was invited by David Ryan to join his new firm. She had taken a cut in pay to move with Carolyn, but the working atmosphere was so much better with Ryan running things.

She also told me that she had met David's intended – a wonderful Irish woman named Teresa Flaherty who had a daughter and was a young widow. Teri mentioned that it was such a tragedy for Teresa to lose her fisherman husband at sea a couple of years ago, but then another tragedy - right after Christmas last year her late husband's brother was found, apparently drowned, in the estuary near the fishing village where Teresa lived.

"Robert, you should see the two of them together ... David and Teresa ... it's like some romantic movie," she sighed. "David is such a wonderful man; I just can't imagine what got into his wife to betray him like that."

She suddenly looked up, embarrassed. "Sorry, didn't mean to tell tales out of school ... it's just that it was such a shock. And then the criminal indictments of some of the partners ... and almost immediately people making a quick exit from the old firm. Sounds like a Grisham novel, doesn't it?"

I smiled and nodded, letting her know it was okay. I knew what it was like to be betrayed. It was encouraging to see that David Ryan had landed on his feet. I did wonder how he met an Irish widow, although I'd heard Chicago had more Irish than Ireland. That train of thought brought me back to Cecilia. Maybe a younger foreign wife was what I needed. Now where did that amusing but pleasurable thought come from? I had met her once, well most likely saved her life – did save her life, and she had kissed me, but that was probably simple gratitude. Although that kiss was more than a token. What did I know about her? She was maybe thirty, beautiful and petite – quite a departure from my usual preference for tall and leggy women, didn't weigh much ... I smiled as I thought about carrying her around the Concordia. She was at least bi-lingual and seemed to have a sense of humor and worked in an Italian castle.

It sounded like a fairy tale – well at least like a divorced forty-something man's fantasy. What more could I ask? There was the small fact that other than saving her life, we were complete strangers. That didn't seem to bother my imagination any, since my enduring fantasy since we parted that early morning on the beach at Porto Giglio was to have a romantic reunion with Cecilia. I had already vowed to contact her as soon as the custody hearing was over on Thursday. Maybe at that point I could make some plans. And of course there was Grace – everyman's Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader fantasy.

I looked up and caught Teri watching me. She must have caught my dopey expression and knew I was miles away. I laughed. "Sorry, I didn't mean to zone out on you!"

She looked at me for a couple of seconds. "It's that shipwreck, isn't it?" she asked.

I slowly nodded and smiled. "Caught me. It does seem to creep in at odd moments. Hope you'll forgive me. I'd hate for you to think that I'm always this inattentive, especially when having lunch with a beautiful woman!"

She smiled at that remark, and I could tell that her smile was genuine and from her slight flush that she felt flattered.

I was disappointed when our all too brief lunch ended. Teri was also too young for me. Maybe I could use Burns' money to go looking for the fountain of youth!

Back at my hotel that evening, I called and checked in with Grace.

"So another night with an empty bed ... I might have misjudged you, Robert. I was certain by now that you'd have one or two young and willing females warming your bed!" she laughed.

"Sorry to disappoint, Grace, but I'm saving all my energy for our reunion in Texas."

She laughed again and then turned serious, "Do you think there'll be any problems with the hearing on Thursday?"

"Grace, I don't know. Carolyn is pretty confident, and she knows the judge. She thinks part of the reason for the expedited hearing is that the judge has already pretty much decided that Roksana should be back with me. The problem is the adoption of Airlea Chronis. I'm not a relative of any kind and an unknown entity to the child services and to the court as far as an adoption is concerned. If necessary, I'll move here so she and Roksana won't be separated ... I mean they'll live in separate houses, but they can see each other every day and then in a few months or a year I can go back in and ask again about an adoption."

"Robert, you're amazing. You'd do that for a girl you've never met simply because she's your daughter's friend and needs a home. What's wrong with those women in Chicago anyway, especially that beautiful attorney of yours?"

That comment provoked an explanation of my involvement with Carolyn's love life.

"I give up, Robert ... I guess it'll have to be poor little old me who has to take care of you when you get here!" She laughed, and then added. "I've decided that if you have to stay in Chicago, I'll be coming your way this weekend, but I'm praying that instead you'll be getting off the plane in Dallas with two girls in tow, and we can spend some time together."

"Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing you, Grace."

On Wednesday, I was back at my borrowed office and about mid-morning Carolyn came in. Actually, she seemed to float in.

"I guess things went okay huh?" I kidded

She came over to where I was seated behind the desk and wrapped her arms around me from behind, resting her head on my shoulder. She smelled delicious.

"You definitely will get an invitation to the wedding!" she giggled.

She stepped back, and I swiveled the chair to face her, and to my surprise she sat on my lap, her blue chalk-striped skirt riding up. She had removed her jacket, so I was facing the cream silk blouse that accentuated her breasts. Carolyn put her arms around my neck and fixed me with those magnificent green eyes and said, "It was amazing ... almost like we'd never been apart. Michael hasn't changed a bit, well maybe handsomer, and the staff loves him. It seemed like every female in the place had to stop by our table at the cafeteria and say something to him. Of course I knew they were checking me out. I think I've upset some of their plans!" she laughed.

Just then Teri stuck her head in, and said, "Ms. Peters, your 10 am is here." Today, Teri wore a dark blue silk blouse, a wide fabric belt around her slim waist, and a long dark fitted skirt with high heeled boots. She looked delectable and was trying very hard to keep a straight face. Carolyn just laughed again and hugged me once more before extricating herself from my lap.

I looked up at Teri and said, "Ms. Peters was just telling me about an interesting case she had ... and was demonstrating how the boss used to harass his female employees..."

I detected a giggle from Carolyn as I watched her leave. The direction of my gaze was not lost on Teri. She came into the office and to my surprise, gracefully moved into the place just vacated by Carolyn. There was a problem though, and Teri acknowledged it by squirming delightfully on my lap, making the problem worse.

"I seem to remember that case." She deadpanned. "But the boss was old and fat and disgusting." She batted her eyes at me, laughed and said, "And Robert, that hardly describes you!"

Teri gave me a quick kiss on the lips, well maybe not so quick, and then slowly got off my lap. The long slit in her skirt gave me a tantalizing view of nylon-covered thigh. She pointedly looked at my lap and said, "I wish I had time to take care of that ... maybe later." She walked from the room, hips swaying on high heels giving me a show.

Eventually I went back to work, but it took a great deal of will not to just sit and daydream.

At about 1:30, Carolyn and Teri came in and invited me to the conference room where a soup and sandwich lunch was laid out.

"Robert, I figured we'd take some time and go over the hearing for tomorrow morning."

They were all business now, so for the next three hours we sat at one end of the polished conference table and talked about everything from what I should wear to how to address the judge. Carolyn was upbeat having spoken to the child representative, Alan Jacobs, who had no objection to Roksana being returned to me. The matter of Airlea was quite different. Jacobs had been non-committal, pleading a busy schedule for not having time to go through all the documents pertaining to Airlea and me, yet.

Carolyn looked at me across the table and said, "I really think Jacobs is stalling, and as a good bureaucrat, he's reluctant to take a position so he's going to shove the decision off on the judge."

"I get it ... no matter what happens he's covered his butt, right?"

Carolyn smiled and nodded.

By the time our meeting wrapped up, I felt confident that we had a good case and a good argument that I should be given custody of both girls.

Sometime before seven Thursday morning, I sat on the comfortable leather sofa in front of the brightly burning gas fireplace in my suite, bundled in a thick hotel robe sipping coffee and swapping X-rated texts with Grace. It had been very cold overnight, and the morning view was typical Chicago winter landscape – very cold - and in the pre-dawn darkness I had peered at the scene many stories below. Everything was covered with snow – the icy crust reflecting the streetlights. The morning weather forecast said it was to be sunny but with highs only in the teens. Burr! Fortunately for the commuters, the plows had worked overnight and even at this early hour the traffic was building.

I heard footsteps approach from the bedroom and put my coffee down as arms wrapped around my neck from behind. She smelled of soap and shampoo and woman. A certain part of my anatomy reacted despite the fact our robust love-making overnight had convinced me that I would need several days to recuperate.

As she nuzzled my neck she said, "Robert, last night was wonderful, but it's very lonely in that giant bed, and the sun's not up yet. So I need you to come back to bed ... its very cold ... aren't you cold?" She put one hand inside my robe and stroked my chest.

I turned my head so our lips could meet, and we kissed with a great deal of enthusiasm. Soon her hand was moving lower. It didn't take long for our robes to end up on the floor and for Teri to impale herself on my hardness as she faced me on the sofa. In the firelight I watched her blissful expression as she slowly rocked herself, building us to orgasm, the cold bed forgotten.

Teri and I had gone out to dinner in an intimate restaurant downtown and with the wine and the wonderful food and the sexual chemistry, I didn't know who seduced who but it didn't matter. We were lucky to have made it to my suite with clothing intact – but just barely. I hadn't intended to get involved with Teri, but it became obvious early in the evening that she had other plans. Regardless, it worked out and after our first manic bout of what can only be described as hot fucking, we were able to dial our passion down a notch or two and spend some time just making love. Teri was magnificent in bed, her youthful body and enthusiasm keeping me up and interested well into the night.

Teri delivered me to the courthouse with time to spare, marking my departure from the cab with a smoldering kiss. Smiling, I brainlessly walked through the maze of rooms and floors and finally found the proper courtroom, only to find Carolyn already there. She glanced up from her notes as I made my way to her at counsel table. Did I detect a hint of amusement as she considered me? She was dressed in her navy blue lawyer's suit, skirt just at knee length, high heel matching pumps, fitted jacket over cream silk blouse and a single strand of pearls. I liked the pearls but thought they had gone out of style for young women years ago. Maybe they were an heirloom or perhaps the judge just liked them, or heck, maybe they were back in style.

She looked back at her notes and asked, "Pleasant evening, Robert?" Yes, there was definitely amusement in her voice.

Stalling for time, I took off my heavy topcoat and poured a glass of water from one of the metal carafes on the polished wood counsel table.

"Teri is a very conscientious young woman. She made sure I'd be here on time."

Carolyn swiveled her chair toward me giving me a flash of nylon-covered thigh. She laughed and said, "Yes, some would say conscientious to a fault. I told her to take care of you and make sure you'd get here!" she laughed. "I left the rest to her devices!"

I laughed too and then sat in the wooden chair next to her. She smelled wonderful. I envied Michael. We talked quietly for a few minutes with Carolyn going over briefly what we had discussed the day before. I was a little nervous but couldn't help being buoyed by Carolyn's confidence.

After about ten minutes, I heard the courtroom door open, and we turned to look. I watched the girls enter accompanied by Alice and Jamie Staples, their foster parents. They were all bundled against the biting cold, the girls wearing jeans and hardly new, but well-kept, quilted jackets, and UGG-type boots. They were a pair of contrasts, Roksana, twelve, and taller with her blonde hair pulled back in a ponytail, against Airlea, eleven, who was maybe six inches shorter with short dark hair and olive complexion. Both were on the thin side with that sort of coltish look to their legs that comes with being a pre-teen. Their appearance hinted at the beauty that was to come. Roksana did not hesitate, she walked straight through the little gate that separated spectators from the main part of the courtroom and came directly to me. I stood, suddenly uncertain. Would she look at me, and memories of years ago tell her I wasn't her father?

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.