Susan
Chapter 19

Copyright© 2013 by Wes Boyd

Friday at the Record-Herald was busier than Susan had come to expect. For one reason, she still had the snow removal story to write and somehow make it look interesting and informative. It was a little hard to think about, since it reminded her that snow season wasn't at all far away. They'd had snow in Germany, of course, and at times a lot of it, but it just wasn't as bad as the kind of snow or as cold as a Spearfish Lake winter could produce.

The main reason that it was more hectic than normal at the Record-Herald was that Monday was Labor Day. Everyone wanted to take the three-day weekend, and moving the paper's publication date back a day to accommodate it made things more complicated than they wanted. Years before, the staff had decided to get done what they could do the previous week, then bite the bullet and put up with a long day on Tuesday so they could enjoy the holiday. That meant Susan had to make all the regular calls in places like the sheriff's office, the police department, the courthouse and elsewhere, and get what she could of the stories written up. It would still mean that her father or Carrie would have to make the calls again on Tuesday morning since she would be in school, but much of the work would have already been done. It promised to be a hectic day, and Susan was just a little sorry that she had to go to school and leave her father stuck with the job.

There had been some discussion of the three of them going somewhere and doing something over the long weekend, but ultimately they decided against it. It proved to be a warm weekend, and Susan spent much of it in the nude, either grabbing some of the last of the tanning sunshine she was likely to see for months, or in the hot tub. Of course, she worked on her reading and some of the first assignments that had been given to her down at Riverside, finding them not very difficult.

Though Susan had been e-mailing back and forth with her German friends since the day she'd arrived back in the country and knew that Hans had left for Albburg the previous weekend, she hadn't actually had a phone call with the Hauners since she'd left Germany. With the six-hour time differential, making a call during the week was just a little inconvenient, so even before she'd left Germany she'd agreed with the Hauners that such calls had to be made on the weekends.

There was a lot of catching up to do, of course – even though the e-mails had pretty well covered the ground of what had been happening, at least the part that Susan cared to share with the Hauners, there was still lots to talk about. Elke and Freya had started their Oberprima year at the Johannes-Staudinger Gymnasium, the year that Susan and Hans had completed in the early summer, and Lothar was in his Unterprima year. Since they had all found out what was involved for the year from Hans and Susan the year before, they seemed to be off to a good start and weren't at all intimidated with it. From what Susan had been able to glean from the e-mails, Hans was excited and perhaps a little intimidated about matriculating at Albburg, but none of the Hauners had heard much about what was happening with him, yet. Susan wished him well; she'd been exceptionally close with Hans and looked forward to seeing him again.

After a while talking with the whole family, Susan settled down to a little one-on-one talk with Elke, in German, of course, but with occasional excursions into English like they'd always done. "I'm really curious about what's happening with Hans at uni," she told Elke. "I'm giving at least a little consideration to going to uni in Germany, maybe even Albburg if I can get in, though even if they accept me, it's probably not likely I'll be able to go to school there."

"Well, I'm curious about it, too," Elke admitted. "Of course, I will have to do at least as well as Hans on the Abitur to be admitted, but it's not impossible that I will decide to go somewhere else."

"I thought you wanted to go there," Susan said.

"Oh, I think I do, but a final decision will probably have to wait until after I find out what it's like from Hans, and there's no point in asking him until after he's been there for a while. Everything is probably so new to him that he won't have a final impression for a while, anyway."

"Yeah, I suppose," Susan said. There had been plenty of talk over the last few months of all four of her friends going to the ancient uni; now there seemed to be a little doubt about it – or, perhaps reality had set in. Susan couldn't really tell, but from that exchange her solid-feeling fallback position for next year didn't seem quite as solid as it had a few minutes before. "But keep me posted," she added. "I want to know what happens."

"Oh, we will," Elke replied. "Freya and Lothar and I all want to know, too. It sure would be nice if we can all be together again someday. We've all talked about how much we've missed you."

"Well, I miss you too. I don't have friends like you here, and since I started college I'm getting a little distant from the ones I used to have. I've only seen my old best friend a couple times and talked to her on the phone two or three more times than that. She's still in high school, and since we've already been apart for a year there isn't that much to talk about."

"I'm hoping that doesn't happen with Hans. It may not be the same thing with him being my brother, but it's hard to say. Have you thought any more about coming over for that bicycle trip we talked about?"

"I was thinking about just the other day," Susan said, and went on to explain her interview with the old bike rider. "If it works out that I don't wind up going to uni over there, then I really want to do it."

"I think it would be a lot of fun. It would be like old times, but in a way more so. But I think it's still a little early to be making definite plans."

"I think so too, but it's sure fun to think about." Susan admitted. "Maybe by Christmas I'll have an idea of what my plans will be and what I could use for money to make the trip. I know we're all thinking it should be a pretty cheap trip, but I'll have air fare on top of it."

They talked on for a while longer, just about this and that, renewing their friendship. It seemed hard to imagine that it had only been a little over three weeks since Susan had said goodbye to Elke, and it seemed like months. Somehow the idea of the five of them going to uni together seemed a lot more vague than it had been not long before. Susan was sure she was going to see her friends again, and there was at least a chance that it could be as soon as next summer, but that seemed a long way off, too.

The other important thing Susan did that weekend was to go down to the office to spend some time on college web sites. After the phone call and discussion with Elke, it was clear that she was going to have to get more serious. It didn't seem very productive; most of them offered the same kinds of things and made the same kind of promises. Susan did look at the Southern Michigan University web site, but the only reason was that Mizuki was so interested in the place.

As Mizuki had explained, Southern Michigan was a different place, and its philosophy seemed somewhat different than other American colleges Susan had spent some time researching. It really was more of a tech school than a liberal arts school, but the courses seemed very practical and career-oriented. Susan found herself spending some time going through the course offerings, looking for some ideas of what might fit into her personal goals, and there were some interesting possibilities. Video production, which Henry had suggested, was one of them but there were others; one that particularly caught her eye was multilingual technical editing, which carried the proviso that students were expected to be fully bilingual before taking the class. That, Susan thought, might be a course she could take almost anywhere, but it also might be the kind of thing where she could be stuck in a stateside office, too. Clearly more research was needed, but at a minimum Susan thought that Mizuki might have something in her fascination with the place.

One of the things that really caught Susan's eye was that students, especially upperclassmen, were encouraged to live off campus. The web site came right out and said that building new dorms hadn't kept up with enrollment and the expansion of the campus in other areas, so dorm space was at a premium and prices were charged accordingly. However, the web site also said that because the school was so new, it had little endowment to work with, so that grants to students were extremely limited. Once Susan checked the fee structure, it seemed pretty high in comparison to other schools, although there seemed to be a few minor mitigating factors, but probably not enough to matter. As much as Mizuki liked the place, and as much as Susan was impressed with what the school seemed to offer, she finally had to reluctantly conclude that she needed to look elsewhere. Even though it seemed like too much of a liberal arts school, rather conservative and too close to home, Weatherford was looking better and better.

There was plenty of time to work on that issue, she thought, but she couldn't put it off forever. She needed to have something worked out by the time Christmas rolled around, or, at worst, by the time the snow was starting to melt, and time was passing.

On Labor Day Monday, Susan and her father went down to the office again, to go over the Gingrich story one more time and to put some finishing touches on it. Henry had one last e-mail with a few tidbits that he'd turned up here and there – they didn't change the story much, but did add a little detail. "Well, all right," her father finally said. "I guess it's ready, and as far as I know no one in the area but us even has a hint of it."

Given a choice Susan would have liked to skip school on Tuesday to help out at the Record-Herald – it seemed somehow disloyal to leave the staff hanging on a busy day, but it had been agreed that school had to come first. Even though there wouldn't be anything to see, she was still tempted to skip her last class so she could see the revised front page sent but she managed to restrain herself. She tried to not think about it over lunch with Bianca and Mizuki.

In a way, that lunch was interesting, since Susan and Mizuki had covered some ground over dinner on Thursday, and much had been said that Bianca wasn't aware of, and that they didn't want her to know. Although Susan and Mizuki traded a couple hints and double meanings that both understood to mean they'd been thinking about it and still liked the idea, nothing clear could be said in front of Bianca. That meant they mostly talked about Southern Michigan University, where Susan revealed her thinking after her research on the place.

"The money is an issue, that's for sure," Mizuki agreed. "Dad is planning on helping me out as much as he can, and I know I'm going to have some grants that I won't have to dip into for my year here. In fact, that's why I'm going here for a year, to stretch the money for the other three years a little further."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.