Susan - Cover

Susan

Copyright© 2013 by Wes Boyd

Chapter 3

Back in her room, Susan took the opportunity to unpack her bags. There were things that would have to go through the washing machine, but some of it could be put away. She hadn't taken a lot of clothing to Germany, instead filled out her wardrobe shopping there. But, being back home, she decided to wear some of the things still in her closet. It was a little surprising to find that a favorite pair of shorts were now uncomfortable, a touch on the small side.

There could be no doubt – she'd filled out some while she'd been in Germany, and more than she was happy about, especially around her hips. She'd never had a bubble butt by any means, but the results of a year's worth of good German cooking were obvious. Another item for the list of things to be working on over the next year, she thought, along with cleaning out the closet of other stuff that was too small, or was now too teeny-bopper for the tastes she'd acquired.

Since the party was going to be an open house, Susan figured she'd better dress up a bit or her mother would have kittens. After some pawing around in her drawers and closet, rejecting things that she would have thought appropriate a year before, she decided to wear a black skirt that had hung a little low on her hips when she'd last worn it, to the point that her mother had made a pointed comment on it. Now, it proved to ride a little higher and consequently a little short. But, it was July, after all; it was going to be hot, and a short skirt seemed appropriate.

She added a turquoise sleeveless knit top that was on the tightish side, then checked herself out in the mirror again. Not bad, she thought; like other things, her tastes in her appearance had changed in the last year, but not all that much. Cindy would probably find something to pick at her about, but then Cindy usually managed to find something anyway.

Unable to think of anything else to stall off the inevitable, she made a final couple of adjustments and headed back out to the living room. She was a little surprised to discover that Cindy wasn't there. However, Henry was sitting on the sofa, with a cup of coffee in his hand and a bleary look on his face. "Good morning, sunshine," she said in a cheery voice. "Ready to face the day?"

"Not if I can help it," he shook his head, looking glum and barely awake. "How does it feel to be back in the world?"

"I never left the world," she smiled, "although it would have been interesting. But being back in Spearfish Lake is kind of a bummer. It's kind of like my coach turned back into a pumpkin."

"Yeah, I imagine," he said. "You must have had some adventures worth remembering."

"Oh, yeah," she smiled. "I had a good time, and I think I learned a lot. There's a lot more to the world than Spearfish Lake."

"Well, yeah," he shrugged. "But you knew that already."

"There's a big difference between knowing it and experiencing it," she replied. "Tell me, isn't Springfield a lot different than Spearfish Lake?"

"In some ways," he said. "It's not bad, but it could be better. I'm probably not going to be there too much longer, anyway."

"Yeah, Cindy was saying something about that earlier," she commented.

"Oh, Springfield is all right," he shrugged. "But Springfield is not quite where I want to spend the rest of my life. The stations are all right, but it's not where the action is. I'm tired of doing penny-ante stuff like Restaurant Report Card. It's just space filler at best and management treats it like it's a big deal."

"So, are you satisfied with going into electronic journalism?"

"Well, pretty much," he sighed. "You know that I've always liked journalism, but if I'm in print there's too much chance of having to come back here. I'm like you; I want to see the world a little. You've done a better job of it than I have so far."

"I'm still thinking about what I want to do," she said sympathetically. "I'm wondering if electronic journalism will allow me to do that."

"To be honest, knowing what I know now, I'd be doubtful. Except for a few top-end people, it's cheaper for the networks to hire producers and the like who are local people, and oftentimes they don't pay much. If you're looking at journalism as a ticket back to Europe, you can pretty well forget it."

"I've wondered about it," she replied, seeing one otherwise interesting job possibility most likely shot in the ass, and it would have been one easy to work into with her family background and experience already.

"I'm not saying it isn't a possible solution," Henry said, seeing Susan's disappointment. He could read her pretty well, after all. "But doing it from a network viewpoint is going to be just about impossible starting out from the bottom, even with your language skills. But there might be other angles. I happened to notice a travel show on a cable network the other night. It was part of a series, and they seemed to get around Europe pretty thoroughly. I'll bet there aren't more than two or three people on that crew including the gal who narrates it, and they probably do all the cutting and everything else. It seems like a pretty marginal way to make a living, but they seem to explore and show a lot of new places."

"Well, that's something to think about," Susan replied, brightening a little bit.

"Oh, there's got to be a way," Henry commiserated. "You just have to find it. Actually, I think the best bet isn't in media at all, but somewhere in business. I don't know where, but there has to be some place that's crying for your language skills."

"Yeah," she said. "I just have to find that someplace."

"It's got to be a lot like TV," he shook his head. "You spend most of your life looking for it. Once you think you've got a spot, you're looking for the next one even before you get the first one. It's not like being a high school teacher where you get tenure after a while. You have to figure on keeping moving, and don't be surprised if some of the places you end up include some hot and dirty and dangerous places like, oh, Iraq."

"I'll take Europe, thanks."

"So would I. So would almost anybody, except for maybe a few danger freaks. But sometimes, that's going to be part of the price you have to pay. About all I can say is don't let yourself get locked into a specialty. Stay flexible, so you can fit into a lot of different places."

That was darn good advice and Susan knew it. She'd always known her brother had a good head on his shoulders, although what he saw in Cindy escaped her completely. Susan had gotten along pretty well with him as kids, even though he was so much older than she was. And, what he was saying wasn't anything she hadn't thought about at least a little over the past few years. There had to be a spot where she could accomplish what she wanted to; all she had to do was find it.


The party was set up as an open house, which meant that there would be people coming and going all afternoon, and Susan knew that she would have to at least greet everyone and have a few words with each. There were a few people she didn't much care for who were invited because they had to be, but she knew who they were and would interact with them as little as she could get away with.

There were a few people, though, who she was genuinely happy to see, and the head of that list was Oma Birgit, of course. In the past year she had aged more than Susan had imagined she would. As soon as they saw each other they started in on an excited conversation in German about the things Susan had done – well, some of them, anyway. Susan didn't think Oma would be all that interested in some of the personal details even if Susan had wanted to tell her, which she didn't. Those were things best left in Germany, she thought.

When they both came up for air, Susan heard a voice next to her say, "Wow, you really are good at that, aren't you?"

"I've done it most of my life," Susan replied, turning to see Megan Szczerowski standing next to her. She was a little shorter than Susan, and had long, curly brownish-red hair parted in the middle. "And Oma here is where I learned most of it. So how have things been in Spearfish Lake?"

"Pretty much the same," Megan replied unenthusiastically. "Not much changes here. I'm looking forward to getting this next year over with so I can get out of here."

"Well, I have to say pretty much the same thing," Susan replied.

"No doubt," Megan smiled. "Although if I know you, your definition of 'out' is a little broader than it is for the rest of us. So, did you really like Germany?"

"I loved it," Susan smiled, willing to be a little straighter with Megan than she might be with some other of her classmates. Susan had never been a high school social butterfly; she had her own goals in life and they sometimes were a lot different than those of many of the kids she'd gone to school with. That meant she hadn't had many school friends, as evidenced by the fact that Megan was the only one who had shown up for the open house, at least so far. But then, Megan was a much closer friend than most of her other classmates, maybe all of them. "I had a really great time, saw a lot of stuff I wanted to see," she replied, and continued honestly but obliquely, "And I got to do a lot of things I never expected."

"So," Megan said "are you glad to be back?"

"Not particularly," Susan replied, still being honest. "I was having such a good time it was hard to give it up. It's going to be hard to go back to all the familiar little petty squabbles around school."

"That sure hasn't gotten any better while you've been gone," Megan shook her head. "There's all too many girls who can't find anything better to do than gossip about each other when they're not trying to stab each other in the back over a football-player boyfriend or a spot on the cheerleading team, or something."

"Yeah, I was pretty tired of the fluttering social butterflies before I left, and I can't imagine it would have changed very much while I was gone. It all seemed so, well juvenile to me. There was some of it in school in Germany but nothing like it is here. There you have kids who are in school to learn, and not just there to advance their social standing."

"I suppose you don't want to hear any of the dirty details, then?"

"Not now for sure, and maybe not ever," Susan shrugged. "I'll be back living in the middle of it all too soon. I take it you're trying to stay out of it when you can."

"Well, yeah, pretty much," Megan replied. "It hasn't made the summer go any quicker. My older sister had a baby last spring, and I've been helping out with my new nephew a little."

"You mean Mrs. Clark?" Susan replied with a bit of surprise. Mrs. Clark – her first name was Nicole although she never used it to her face – had been a teacher she'd liked more than most. She was one teacher who knew what it was like to have an itch to do something more than hang around Spearfish Lake. Mrs. Clark had spent a summer hiking the Appalachian Trail after she'd gotten out of college, and there had been a couple of AT posters in the classroom when Susan had taken classes from her. "I didn't know she was pregnant. I guess I did miss some news."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.