Susan - Cover

Susan

Copyright© 2013 by Wes Boyd

Chapter 1

It was getting dark now. Finally.

Susan Langenderfer-McMahon had spent most of the flight staring out the window on the right side of the airliner, watching dusk gather on the ground below. The skies were clear; if she put her head right up against the window and looked ahead as far as she could, she could make out the remnants of what had been a pretty good sunset, bringing an end to what had literally been the longest day of her life. Involuntarily, she let out a big yawn.

"Long day?" the woman elbow-to-elbow with her in the next seat asked.

"Ja, Ich eine... " Susan started to reply before realizing that she'd automatically started answering in German. She caught herself, turned from the window and started over in English. "I'm coming from Germany, so that adds another few hours."

The day had started well before dawn in her comfortable room at the Hauner house. It was with real sadness that she got ready for her final morning in Germany. She was going to miss Jens and Ulrike, and was really going to miss Hans and Elke, who had become like a brother and sister to her. More than a brother and sister, in more ways than one. She was closer in age to them than she was to her own brother and sister, who were much older – Tiffany was nearly thirty, and Henry had graduated from college over a year ago. While they were her brother and sister, the age difference meant that she hadn't been very close with them – nothing, nothing like as close as she'd gotten to her German friends who were very hard to leave behind.

"Do you live in Germany?" the woman asked, obviously wondering if the pretty girl with the long blonde hair was German.

"No, I was an exchange student there for a year," Susan replied.

"That's pretty rare, isn't it?" The woman asked, then expanded her thought. "I'm a teacher, and we often see exchange students from other countries, but rarely hear of an American spending a year abroad."

"That's true," Susan nodded. "Only a handful of American kids do it."

"I suppose language skills help a lot," the woman observed understandingly. "Did you have any difficulty with the language?"

"No," Susan smiled. "My grandmother started teaching me German before I was in kindergarten. I speak it about as well as I do English."

"That makes things a little different," the woman nodded with a smile. "You don't find many American kids who are that comfortable in a foreign language."

"Not many," Susan agreed. "It's kind of a shame. But then, I guess I have something of an ear for languages anyway. I speak Spanish and French also, not as well as German, but enough to get along."

"That's really rare," the woman said, obviously impressed. "Your school must have had quite a language program."

"No, my American school has a lousy one," Susan shook her head. "Just French, and pretty basic at that. I was friends with a family who ran a Mexican restaurant, and that's where I started learning Spanish. My Gymnasium... , " she used the German pronunciation, quite a bit different from English, and meaning "high school," " ... in Regensburg offered six languages, including English, so I was able to polish up Spanish and French there quite a bit."

"I guess you do have a talent for languages," the woman said. "My students seem to have enough trouble learning English. Did you have any adventures and a chance to travel around?"

"Not as much travel as I would have liked," Susan shrugged. "Of course, that would have taken more than a year."

The woman smiled. "I take it you want to go back to Europe, then."

Susan had spent over a year living with the Hauners as an exchange student, almost as if she'd been a member of the family. Spearfish Lake had seemed – and had been a distant, far-away memory – a past that somehow had seemed just a little unreal to her. "To tell you the truth," she replied softly, "I wish I'd never left."


Somewhere over lower Michigan the airliner had started its descent. Susan's discussion with the teacher soon fell flat, and she went back to staring out the window. They were out over Lake Michigan now, and getting low – at least, it looked that way when she saw a big lake freighter looking fairly large not far below them. Not much longer now, she thought, squirming a little in her narrow seat to try and work out some of the kinks and stiffness from all the hours she'd spent in uncomfortable airline seats since leaving Regensburg this morning. This was the third airplane she'd been on today, and she figured she'd had enough airliner to hold her for a while – at least until the next time she got on one to go somewhere. That probably wouldn't be soon, not till next summer and maybe not then. It seemed like an eternity.

It would be good to be home in Spearfish Lake, although it was still hours away, good to see her parents again, but somehow it didn't compensate for leaving her friends behind her. Hans and Elke and Freya and Lothar had become about the best friends she'd ever had, better than anyone had ever been back home, and there were some others she would miss just about as much. She was going to miss the beautiful view of the Donau River down the hillside from the Hauner house, the warm, homey atmosphere of a busy house. While home was home, it seemed much less of a home, much less fascinating than the exciting life she'd been leading.

And then, to think that she had another year of high school was just about enough to bore her to tears. The idea of spending her junior year abroad had been one that had held her attention for years, but somehow she'd never really admitted to herself that she would then still have to spend her senior year at Spearfish Lake. Now, here it was – her magic coach was just about to turn back into a pumpkin.

The airliner swept low over the shoreline, made a fairly steep turn and continued to descend. She felt the airplane shudder and slow as the flaps went out, and though she couldn't see the landing gear, she figured that it must be down, too. The ground came closer and closer; then she could see that they were over the airport and getting very low. In a few more seconds, she felt the bump as the plane touched down and heard the engines spool up momentarily as the thrust reversers slowed the plane to taxiing speed. She was blasé, if anything, about the moment – after all, this wasn't the first time she'd done this, not even the first time today. Home again, she thought. Big deal. Well, not home yet; several hours' drive north into the forest country remained, but this would be the end of the adventure as far as she was concerned.

There had once been a time not long before when it was possible for people to meet arriving passengers at the airport gate, but those days were gone with the increase in security after the Twin Towers went down, almost three years before. The terminal was not real confusing, so it only took Susan a few minutes to find her way out and head down an escalator toward the baggage claim area.

As she descended, she looked out over the crowd for her parents, and there they were! Her father, Mike, stood head and shoulders over most of the crowd; he was tall and thin, which made him more recognizable in situations like these. A few steps and they were there. Kirsten threw her arms around Susan and drew her tight in a big hug. "Oh, God, Susan," her mother cried as she drew the hug tight. "It's so good to see you again!"

"It's good to see you again, too," Susan replied, with a little less enthusiasm. It was embarrassing to have her mother so publicly enthusiastic about seeing her, a year gone by or not. Partly it was pure teenager, wanting to put on an appearance of being cool about her parents, but part of it was pure German, after a year of being around people who were not as demonstrative as Americans often were, not as Kirsten's mother was right now.

Still, she wrapped her arms around her mother and hung on tight for a moment, her face lost in her shorter mother's hair, then broke the hug and turned to her father. While Susan was quite a bit taller than her mother, she was still much shorter than her father. "Daddy," she smiled, reaching out for a somewhat less exuberant hug, "it's good to see you. I've missed you a lot."

"Glad to have you back with us," her father replied. "Everything go all right?"

"Alles ist in Ordnung," she smiled as she stepped back, using the German phrase that said "All is in order" but meant "OK" along with a few other things, some of which couldn't really be translated. "Just a lot of time in airliners. I'm glad to be back on the ground again."

"I bet," he nodded with a grin. "I know what too much time on an airliner is all about. That's why I haven't done it in a while." In fact, Susan couldn't remember the last time her father had been on an airplane – she could just vaguely remember when he hadn't been home for Christmas one time when she had been very small. And, she understood why – with his long legs, the spacing of airline seats would be very uncomfortable on a long flight.

"Any trouble?" he asked.

"Not really," she smiled. "There was an American soldier on the Lufthansa flight who acted like he could be all hands, but he left me alone after he finally figured out I didn't speak a word of English."

"That's my girl," he laughed. "Did you ever let on to him?"

"He might have noticed when I went through Customs, I don't know," she shrugged. "I mean, not that I particularly care. He was a dork, anyway. So, is everybody still all right?"

"No change since we talked to you the other day," Mike replied. They had talked about once a week and exchanged e-mails frequently, so it hadn't been as if she'd been out of touch.

The hell of it, Susan thought, was that there often wasn't a lot to talk about. Things tended to stay pretty much the same in Spearfish Lake, and while she had things to report from Germany, like any teenager she'd had a few adventures that she would really rather her parents didn't know about for a while, like maybe twenty years. Thirty might be better. To change the subject she asked, "I take it the big welcome home party is still on?"

"It's not that big a thing," Kirsten explained for maybe the hundredth time. "You have friends and family who've missed you and care about you, and they want to see you again, celebrate your being home."

Chapter 2 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.