Desert Nomads of Ardr
Chapter 2: Background for Razish

Copyright© 2013 by Gaunter

I was born the 3rd son of my father during the height of the summer drought to the Anani Clan of the Genkis Tribe of the Al-Badia. Such births are usually troublesome, as we are forced into constant travel at such times, and most babies fail to live through the season due to the heat and limited nourishment. I was blessed to be born with a hearty constitution however, and did survive. As is the custom in my tribe, upon completing my third cycle, my spirit was judged by the High Priest as to be worthy of being a warrior. I was thereafter fostered to the warriors of my clan, so that I could better prepare my body and spirit for the demands of caste.

As is necessary for every member of the Al-Badia, I had to learn how to hunt, herd and care for the herds that sustained us, and how to survive in the desert. The warriors continued my training, both in body and spirit, so that I was prepared to take my place amongst them, defending my family, clan and tribe, against all threats. I was taught how to properly use a variety of weapons and tactics in how to stalk, attack and ambush both predator and prey alike. I learned not to fear death, as it would only lead me to my next life. As such, I was no longer burdened by any fear, other than of failing to protect my people.

The patriarch of our clan was a proud and wise man. He recognized the folly of giving into the demands of the Evil reptile and his minions the Harseffs. While he worked to forge an alliance between all of the tribes, he was betrayed by another tribal leader who informed our enemies of his plans. In retaliation, and without warning, our clan was set upon by the evil reptile and his minions. I and the rest of the warriors, fought to give the others a chance to escape. Unfortunately, none could match the speed of the Evil reptile, and he slaughtered those who attempted to flee. I believe I fought well in that battle, as did my mates. However, we were over-whelmed, and I was felled by a number of blows.

I was expecting to awaken in a better life, but unfortunately, the gods had chosen otherwise for me and I awoke to pain; blinding, excruciating pain. When I was able to regain some of my senses, and surveyed my surroundings, I found that I was torn and battered, but still alive thanks to the efforts and care of a strange man who called himself Raksus. As I mended, I learned that Raksus came from the forbidden city of Isata. Long ago, before the coming of the Evil reptile, the Al-Badi would occaisionally make trade with the people who lived there. However, under pain of death, the Evil reptile had forbade any of the Al-Badi from approaching or dealing with Isata, and the tribal leaders had forbade further contact.

Raksus had saved my life, my honor required that I repay him. Unfortunately, the Evil reptile and the Harseffs, had killed and taken everything of value from me and my clan. I had nothing to repay the debt to Raksus, except by my service. So I became his indentured servant, (though he forbade me from calling it such), and pledged myself to serve him until I had repaid my debt by saving his life.

I quickly learned that while my brethren uniformaly detested city dwellers, and felt that they had nothing of value to teach the Al-Badia, Raksus possessed many skills and knowledge that were beyond those I had known amongst my people. While not born of the desert, nor of the Al-Badi, Raksus, had a relationship with the desert, sky, wind and sun, that clearly indicated his strong character and great spirit. I set myself the task of learning all I could from Raksus, so that I might better prepare my spirit for the next journey.

Raksus was not only my guide to becoming a ranger, but also to the wonders of Isata. While many of the people there are strange, and it is difficult to cope with the number of people in such a small area, there are mysteries and power present that I could not previously conceive of. Still, much of it I do not understand, and though I work hard at the writing Raksus insists I learn, I doubt I will ever understand it all.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.