Lady in Red, Book 1 (The Rise of the Queen) - Cover

Lady in Red, Book 1 (The Rise of the Queen)

Copyright© 2013 by Harddaysknight

Chapter 6

After leaving the room and making a quick call to her mother, Gwen returned to tell Steve, "Mom said to bring you home for some of her good home cooking. It feels like we've been in this hospital for days, but it's only five o'clock in the afternoon. I don't know about you, but swimming in icy water and making a spectacle of myself on live TV has given me quite an appetite."

"You don't have to feed me. I can stop somewhere and get something quick. Besides, your dad may not be too happy to have me stop in. Maybe you've forgotten that he popped me on the chin last time he saw me," recalled Steve. "I really don't want to have a problem with your dad. He was right, and I was wrong. I had it coming."

"You let Mom and me worry about Dad," replied Gwen with a grin. "He feels pretty bad about that incident. He jumped to conclusions and he regrets it, but let it be a warning to you, Mister. Do not harm Ted Anderson's daughters in any way, or he'll flog you within an inch of your life."

Ted Anderson was standing in the living room when Gwen brought Steve inside. The two men looked at each other tentatively and then Steve extended his hand and Ted accepted it. "Sir, I owe you an apology. My behavior the last time we met was inappropriate. I respect you too much to make you uncomfortable in your own home. If you prefer, I'll leave right now, and I'll understand the reason."

"Leave now? That's the absolute worst thing you could do to me!" laughed Ted as he shook Steve's hand. "My wife and daughters would have my hide. I wouldn't have a moment's peace. We were both a little worked up that night, but this is a new day. Let's forget it and eat. You two can tell me about your day. Anything unusual or interesting happen?"

As they dined, Gwen filled in Paula, Ted, and Kate on the things they didn't already know about the water rescue of the two toddlers. Steve remained silent for the most part; content to allow Gwen the opportunity to describe events to her family while he enjoyed one of the best meals he ever had.

"The phone has been ringing off the hook. In fact, I took it off the hook so we could have a peaceful meal. You two have really created quite a stir. The cable news channels picked up the video from Channel 5 and have played it about a thousand times today. I have to admit, it's a very remarkable story," added Paula. "You two can plan on a lot of people asking a lot of questions about this afternoon. I wouldn't be surprised if the local newspaper and TV stations ask for interviews. Everyone that's called has been extremely complimentary about both of you. Ted, Kate, and I are awfully proud of you two. So is Lisa, now that I think about it. She said everyone at her university is talking about it. She's a mini-celebrity because she's your sister."

"Thanks, Mom. I guess we need to discuss what we'll tell people when they ask about it, wont we, Steve? We need to be on the same page, especially with the media. I don't know how you feel, but I think we can use this to help the hospital fund," reasoned Gwen. "Let's go into the living room and kick it around awhile."

Paula watched Gwen and Steve sit down on the couch. She noticed that they didn't sit real close together, but they seemed quite comfortable with each other. She marveled at Gwen's will power. For her part, Paula had never seen a better looking, more virile male. Not many females could keep him at arm's length like Gwen seemed to be doing. And even fewer would want to keep Steve at arm's length!

A few minutes later, Kate motioned for Paula to take another look at the two kids on the couch. Steve had fallen asleep and had slid down so his head was resting on Gwen's chest. Gwen was turned so that she faced Steve and was gently stroking his neck as he made low snoring sounds. Paula went into a bedroom and found an Afghan blanket and brought it out for the two exhausted heroes. Gwen had also fallen asleep by the time Paula reached them. Paula smiled at Kate as she gently covered them with the blanket.

Murmurs gradually seeped into Gwen's consciousness. She opened her eyes to see Charlotte, Billy, Kate and her mom sitting around the living room, speaking in hushed voices. She started to sit up, but felt the weight on her chest. Looking down, she saw Steve opening his eyes. Slowly, he looked at the part of Gwen's chest that his head wasn't covering. Then he turned his eyes to Gwen's. She tried to look upset, but was unable to hide her smile. Steve appeared relieved as he slowly extricated himself from Gwen's firm, but so very comfortable breast.

"That makes twice today that you woke up in Gwen's arms," laughed Kate. "In fact, you were in more than just her arms. You sure looked comfortable. Sis makes a pretty good pillow, doesn't she?"

"I can't speak for all of her, but the parts I've had my head on today are really soothing, I must admit," grinned Steve as he ducked the pillow that Gwen flung at him.

"We're sorry to wake you two sleeping beauties up, but you can't believe the atmosphere in town today," stated Charlotte excitedly. "The guy that owns the Big Boy Burger place insisted on feeding Billy and me for free because he recognized Billy as the guy that dragged Steve up that bank. People were stopping us on the street and raving about the courage and daring you guys displayed. I tried calling, but every phone in this house is turned off, or disconnected, so we stopped in to see how you were doing. It looked like you were doing great, especially Steve, as long as he doesn't get a stiff neck from being poked like that."

Just then the doorbell rang. Paula stood and left the room to answer the door. Soon she returned with an obviously excited Amber Stahl. Amber greeted everyone and then got down to business.

"Gwen and Steve, the Channel 5 anchor wants to do a live interview with you tomorrow morning! He's willing to come here and conduct it from the Anderson's living room. I don't have to tell you that this is a great chance to get your story out and promote your cause. Will you do it?"

Gwen's face lit up, but Steve held a hand up to caution her as he spoke to Amber. "That's real big of the guy. He's willing to 'slum it' for the story? Get your boss on the phone. I want to talk with him," stated Steve firmly.

Amber dialed her cell, identified herself to her boss and handed Steve the phone. "Sir, this is Steve Hammer. I understand that you'd like a live interview with Gwen and me tomorrow? We can do that, but there are a couple conditions. We want Billy Marsh and Doctor Laura Masters included, if she's available. The other condition is that Amber Stahl is the newsperson conducting the interview. She's become pretty well known and liked in Sparta. She's been here for us from the start. This is her story, and we want her to have it. If you can live with those conditions, we'll be ready whenever you want us," concluded Steve as he handed the phone back to a stunned Amber.

"No, sir, I didn't put him up to this! I just heard it for the first time. Sure I'll do a good job. I always do. You won't regret this, Frank," promised the obviously excited newswoman as she ended the call.

"Oh, Steve! You've given my career a huge boost. This is going network! I'll be doing the interview on the morning show!" squealed Amber as she wrapped her arms around Steve and hugged him.

The sharp intake of breath from Steve alerted everyone in the room that his injuries were far from healed. Amber released him in a flash and immediately began to apologize. "I'm so sorry! I forgot how badly you were injured! Will you be able to play in the title game on Saturday?"

"This'll be our little secret," replied Steve softly as he worked to slow his breathing. "We can't let the other team know I'm a little tender or they'll be all over me. As far as anyone's concerned, I'm doing great and I'm ready to play. That includes you, Amber, okay?"

"I won't tell, Steve, but I don't think I'll have to. Once they tackle you a few times and they see how much it hurts, they'll be trying twice as hard to knock you down. Plus Coach Watkins will never allow you to play in that kind of pain."

"You caught me by surprise, Amber. I'll be ready when we play. You'll never know that those scrapes even bother me at all," predicted Steve with an unconvincing smile. "Tell us where this interview will take place."

That was all it took to get the subject changed, although Gwen maintained a concerned look for some time. It was decided to place a recliner next to the couch so all four people had a comfortable seat. Amber would sit across from them in a kitchen chair, asking the questions. Billy was both pleased and frightened to be included in the interview, claiming he had done very little and deserved no special attention.

"Billy Marsh!" snapped Gwen loudly. "You saved Steve's life. Does that seem like a small thing? Did you see anyone else jump into that water to help? You'd better get accustomed to being a hero, to being my hero. I was in total despair when I realized I couldn't get Steve up that bank and suddenly you appeared next to me and took over. If you weren't so brave and strong, things would have turned out a lot worse. Don't insult Steve, or me, by telling people it was no big deal, because it was a very big deal!"

Everyone was surprised by Gwen's vehement defense of Billy's bravery. Nothing was said for half a minute, until Charlotte began to laugh. She wrapped her arms around Billy and told him, "You are a hero, Billy. You're my hero, too."

"Now that we have that settled, I've got to call Laura and ask her if she can make it early tomorrow morning for the show," stated Gwen. "She said she wanted more exposure and Steve's making sure that she gets it. I wonder what she'll say when she hears this?"

Gwen spoke to Laura for a couple minutes and then returned to the living room. "She's in! She was surprised at how quickly we took her up on our promise to include her in more promotions, but really pleased. Mom, I was thinking maybe Steve could sleep in my room tonight so he'd be sure to be here and ready for the interview in the morning. Would that be okay with you?"

Paula turned pale and stuttered as she searched for the words she wanted. "I, your Dad and I, we don't think, Kate's just sixteen and shouldn't see, what about birth control and..."

"Mother!" interrupted Gwen a bit shrilly. "I'll sleep in Lisa's room! I wasn't asking that Steve and I spend the night together. How can you think I'd even suggest that I'd do something like that?"

"I would!" interjected Kate. "No need to mess up so many linens, right?"

"Sorry," added Gwen with a straight face, "Steve needs his energy for the big game. He has to remain celibate and focused."

"Actually, the game's not until Saturday and I could use a little something to pick up my spirits and put me in the right frame of mind," admitted Steve with a quick smile.

"I bet you could," laughed Gwen, "but it isn't happening, unless Billy wants to stay over, too."

"How could I refuse an offer like that?" quipped Billy. "It's bad enough being his center. I don't want Steve to think it's any more than that; at least not until he buys me a ring!"

"Billy, I honestly appreciate what you've done for me, and I love you, Man, but believe me when I say there'll never be a ring for you, except the championship ring we'll win Saturday."

"This makes a great human interest story!" observed Amber. "Stars and star crossed! I can't wait to interview you two guys tomorrow. Inquiring minds want to know this kind of stuff."

"I think it would be a good idea if Amber went over the questions she's going to ask us tomorrow morning," declared Steve. "It seems wise to have time to prepare our responses, and to be sure she doesn't reveal Billy's 'softer side' to the public."

Everyone was assembled in place in the living room by 5 AM the next morning. Gwen and Laura looked fresh and lovely. Steve and Billy appeared slightly less chipper. The local station had decided to air a live interview for the local news before they went national at seven AM.

After Amber introduced everyone she began, "I'm sure most of you have seen the dramatic video of the two children rescued from the submerged SUV by Steve Hammer and the subsequent rescue of the rescuer by Gwen Anderson and Billy Marsh. Billy, let's start with you. Weren't you worried about jumping into the freezing waters to help your friends?"

Billy blushed slightly and then collected himself and responded. "I was real scared, to be honest. But after seeing Steve, and then Gwen, risk everything to save those kids, I felt ashamed that I was standing and watching instead of helping. Steve and Gwen are the real heroes. It comes naturally to them, like breathing. I'm not very heroic. I was afraid, but I was even more afraid that they wouldn't survive without help. I was a little late getting started, but I finally saw my duty and I did it."

"Gwen, we all saw you jump into the frigid waters when nothing was showing on the surface. How did you know that Steve would surface with those kids, and that he'd need help when he did?" questioned Amber.

"I was concerned that Steve and the children had been under the water for so long. I knew that if there was any chance for them, they had to surface soon and that they'd be in dire straits after such a long time under water. I've served as lifeguard and I'm a very good swimmer. I just couldn't stand by and watch any longer without trying to help. It was just something I felt I had to do. I would like to add that the children were treated at Sparta Memorial Hospital. Our senior class is having a year-long fund raising effort to modernize and add a children's wing to this valuable community asset. Donations of any kind are gratefully accepted. Help us help the children of the area."

"Steve, you dove into the waters with the intention of rescuing the children. Why did you feel you could?" asked Amber.

"I happen to be a very strong swimmer and I've done some diving. I felt that I was probably the best swimmer in the entire crowd that day. That made me the best chance those kids had. I didn't know what was going to happen. I just knew that I'd never be able to look into a mirror again if I didn't try. I was pretty frightened when I had those two infants in my hand and couldn't get the car door open. I sure didn't feel like a hero. I don't remember anything after starting for the surface until Gwen brought me around on the river bank. I owe her and Billy my life. I'll never forget that. The hospital was great and I have to thank Dr. Masters. I hope she'll be working in the new wing within a few years."

"Dr. Laura Masters, you treated the children at the hospital, as well as Steve when he came in. How are the toddlers doing? Will Steve be able to play quarterback in the state championship game tomorrow?"

"I watched you deliver your commentary as these heroes worked to save lives, Amber. I was quite surprised when I examined the children. They were wet and cold, but in excellent health. I had just seen them plucked from icy waters after being submerged for over three minutes and they were crying and healthy. We x-rayed them and kept them overnight for observation, but they're fine this morning, thanks to the quick thinking and courage of these students. Steve must have been cut across his chest and abdomen when he swam through the driver's window after smashing it with a rock. Other than that, he's in great shape. He lost a little blood, but we saw his courage and determination yesterday. A mere football game should be a walk in the park for him. However, at the insistence of his coach, I'll attend the game and be prepared to lend medical assistance if Steve, or any player, requires it. Coach Watkins places safety above winning, which is a bit unusual in football these days, but very admirable.

"Our hospital is small, but we always strive to give the best care possible. The idea of a new wing seemed like a farfetched dream a couple months ago. Now these kids have made me a believer. The area, especially the children, deserve the best health care possible. These kids have the courage to work toward that goal and I'm pledging my support any way possible. We need better equipment, more room, more doctors, and more supplies if we want to truly serve the area properly. Yesterday's near tragedy demonstrates how quickly bad things can happen. A better hospital will make us a safer, better community."

"So there you have it," concluded Amber. "Two toddlers strapped into car seats are in a car that plunges into the frigid waters of Emerson River. Because of the quick actions of these three Sparta students, this story has a happy ending. It was a tragedy averted by their courage and daring heroics. And these kids are working hard to improve the local hospital. Think about the quality of youth this area is producing, and be proud. Thank you all. And good luck in your game tomorrow."

Gwen drove Steve to school after the interview was concluded and walked with him to the players' bus. Kate had ridden with them and was watching as Gwen stopped Steve before he boarded the bus. She pulled his face down to hers and kissed him long and hard on his lips as the other players cheered and whistled.

"I can't stay mad at you, Steve," whispered Gwen. "When I thought you might die, I realized that I was being foolish by treating you so poorly. I hope that kiss keeps those big breasted cheerleaders away until tomorrow. I'll be there cheering for you on every play. Just be careful. I worry about those cuts."

Steve grinned and rubbed Gwen's nose with his. "I never noticed any cheerleaders, Gwen. Where are they? All I can see is you. I'll never do anything to hurt you, Gwen. Trust me on that. See you tomorrow!"

"Where's my sister? What've you done with her?" demanded Kate as she joined Gwen. "A couple months ago you were the girl that didn't date. You weren't even interested in boys. You wore bulky sweaters and loose jeans and slacks. Now you strip down to your bra and panties in front of a TV crew, wear really cool outfits that are mostly red for some reason, and have a hit dance video and a swim suit video that makes men drool. You grab the best looking guy in the school, the star quarterback, and kiss him hard in front of his teammates and the whole world, including several very jealous cheerleaders. How did you change so much, so fast?"

"Maybe I shouldn't have kissed Steve in front of everyone, but I couldn't help myself," admitted Gwen. "Sometimes I can't believe that a guy like Steve could be interested in a girl like me. He's gorgeous, smart, athletic, strong, brave, and polite. He could have any girl he wants."

"And that should tell you something, Sis. Steve can have any girl in the school, maybe the whole world, he's that cool. Why would he want you? Could it be that you're gorgeous, smart, athletic, strong, brave and very polite, most of the time? Is it possible that he did go for the best girl for him, and that the best girl happens to be my big sister?" asked Kate. "That kiss was perfect, by the way. You need to mark your territory. Let those hussies know that he's your guy. I think that kiss quelled any possible doubts."

Steve smiled at the good natured teasing of his teammates. He knew that they thought Gwen was beautiful and he was a lucky guy. Once the bus was under way, Coach Watkins explained that the team would arrive in time to have a practice in the stadium in which the title game was scheduled. He also cautioned the players about making any hard contact with Steve during the practice. He warned that if Steve showed any signs of injury, he would be replaced immediately. To a man, the team knew that scenario guaranteed defeat.

That Friday at school was like no other Gwen had ever experienced. Every student she came in contact with expressed their admiration and appreciation for her part in the rescue of the two infants, and then Steve. When she entered a room, talk would suddenly stop. Then everyone would rush to speak to her and be as friendly as possible.

"Gwen, you've dried out and warmed up, as well as covered up since yesterday," observed Ms. Walker when Gwen entered homeroom. "I have to tell you that I've never seen anything close to being as remarkable as that rescue yesterday. I still get chills when I think about it. Dave Kite has some amazing video posted, but with the news channels playing it so much, he hasn't had as many views as I'd expect. Our 'Lady in Red' is becoming a national treasure, rather than just a Spartan gem. Your interviews, both at the hospital and again this morning on national TV, were perfect."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.