Grappling With Survival
Cast of Characters

Copyright© 2013 by Vincent Berg

A list of characters in "Grappling with Survival". This is meant as a reference only, to be checked any time you encounter a character you don't recognize. Reading ahead may spoil story surprises and is not recommended.

Let me know if you spot any errors and I'll fix them. I'm also open to suggestions on how to improve it.


Book 1:

Adrian Malcox: A 19-year-old community college student who helps set up an FM broadcasting station at David's house after their college loses all power.

Alice Scott: David's daughter, who feels protective of her dad and feels it necessary to help him whether he wants it or not.

Amy Holmes: Alice's closest friend, she's a nerdish tomboy who dreams of becoming a superheroine. Usually follows Alice's lead because Alice typically undertakes more aggressive tasks.

Benjamin Adams: The local Sheriff, who partners with the local police in trying to maintain order after society begins to fall apart. He deputizes David so he can help out.

Betty (Betts) Bennett: A friend of Linda Scott's and mother of Sara, one of Alice's schoolmates. When Linda seeks out her ex-husband after the initial meteor story, she accompanies her, though he feels it necessary to return to check on her family afterwards.

Billy Adams: A 20-year-old community college student who helps set David up with their FM broadcasting station.

Blossom Elmsford: Flora's 15-year-old sister who died when her house collapsed.

Bob Lind: A blind friend of David's who he turns to when the communications network fails. His knowledge of ham radios allows the survivors to stay in radio communications with the world.

Branch Elmsford: Flora's 13-year-old brother who disappeared after their house collapsed, never to be seen again.

Caitlyn Harrison: One of Alice's friends from school, Caitlyn was the 'cute girl' ringleader back at school, but takes a lesser role when things change at David's house.

David Scott: The story's protagonist, an 34-year-old retired accountant who invested all his money in a remote house in the country that others gathered at when things turned bad.

Debbie Peters: An ex-dental hygenist who takes up with George Winters as a survivalist and helps him attack the local police in search of guns and ammunition.

Ellen Parker: A blonde woman that David rescues during the initial meteor shower. David's 'main squeeze'.

Erica Dixon: Alice's classmate, the youngest of the girls, she always tries hard to keep up with the other girls. Initially injured during the long drive to David's, she's usually up for anything the others are interested in.

Flora Elmsford: A college coed that David rescues when her house is detroyed the second night of the meteor storm. Having lost her entire family, she sees David as the source of her new life, and clings to him in unexpected ways.

Frank Morre: An 18-year-old community college student who accompanies Adrian Malcox and Billy Adams when they seek refuge at David's house.

General Clarence Pendril: A low-level backroom military general who props up President Daniels and encourages him to suppress criticism rather than addressing problems.

George Winters: An ex-plumber that David knows who turns to survivalist and attacks the local police station in search of weapons and ammunition.

Julie Chi: One of Alice's friends from school. Of Asian-American extraction, she fights the traditional role her family has always expected her to undertake.

Linda Scott: David's ex-wife from a less than amicable divorce. Despite their troubles, she turns to him when the meteor showers begin, bringing several of Alice's schoolmates with her.

Mary (Ma) Lind: Bob Lind's wife and a nurse at the nearby hospital.

Maggie Sinclair: Wife of local pharmacist Reggie Sinclair. A local outdoor woman, she takes up with David, bringing a supply of drugs and pharmaceuticals.

Nancy Evens: The receptionist at the local police station that helps Sheriff Benjamin Adams out.

President Daniels: A low scale politician who becomes President of the United States after most of the cabinet are wiped out during the inital meteor storm. Terrified of his new responsibilities, he follows the lead of the mysterious General Pendril, producing terrifying results as they try to curtail protests rather than trying to help anyone.

Reggie Sinclair: A long-time friend of David's and the local pharmacist. Though he works with David, he spends most of the story watching over his store, though he sends his wife, Maggie, to David's for protection.

Samuel Riggins: A 38-year-old local policeman that David originally speaks to regarding Flora.

Sara Bennett: Daughter of Betts Bennett and schoolmate of Alice's. Labeled 'thing one' by David, she's a reticent brunette that stays largely in the background.


Book 2:

Adam Miller: Nina's 12-year-old brother, who accompanied her and the other children on a cross-country trek to find Alice and David's retreat.

Aristotle: An infected but recovered horse that David and Alice rescue from the Phillips farm.

Ayana (no last name given): A black woman that David meets on the empty streets of Charlottesville, Virginia.

Betty (no last name): 21-year-old woman, one of three people who hiked cross-country to find David based on stories they heard at Ma's hospital.

Charles Malcolm: Mattie's 48-year-old father who died before the start of the book, leaving Mattie on her own.

Curly: One of four llamas that David and Alice rescue from a farm that Alice names after the 3 Stooges because she doesn't think they're very bright.

Debbie Allen: 14-year-old girl who'd injured herself burying her family. Seeking help at the abandoned hospital, she encounters Monique Lehr, who gets David to provide needed antibiotics and tetanus medications for her.

Dewey: An infected coot that Alice rescues from their pond.

Dougan Larks: A Colorado resident who contacts Alice via ham radio and who they help guide in his recovery.

Franklin (no last name): Survivor in Charlottesville who agrees to take over the Rodger's Ranch with Regina Perez.

Geoffrey: Man that David encounters in a Library while looking for some books. Never heard from again.

Greg Adams: 50-year-old cable company employee. One of three people who hiked cross-country to find David, based on stories they heard at Ma's hospital.

Heather Farmer: Survivor David meets in Charlottesville who agrees to take over farming at the Jacob's Ranch with Peter Farmer.

Jacob: A piglet that Alice rescues on the Jacob's farm that they take home.

James Jacob: 53-year-old owner/operator of the organic "Jacobs Farm". David finds him and his wife, Martha, in their farm house.

James Malcolm: Mattie's 20-year-old brother, who died between meeting David Book 1 and the start of book 2.

Jeff Mayers: A 27-year-old that David and the others meet in Harrisonburg, Virginia, who'd taken over a local zoo, trying to save the animals there.

Jennifer (Jenny) Thomas: Peter Thomas' 16-year-old sister, who helped keep the rag-tag band of children organized and safe during their cross-country trek.

Jessica Ervin: A 31-year-old that David and the others meet in Harrisonburg, Virginia who joins forces with Jeff Mayers in helping take care of a local zoo.

John-John: Tom's dog that helped him recover when he became ill. Very odd with multiple personality disorders, including OCD and fear of new things which help save it from infection.

Jonathon (John) Taylor: Resident of Hilton Head, South Carolina Alice reaches via ham radio.

Larry: One of four llamas that David and Alice rescue from a farm that Alice names after the 3 Stooges because she doesn't think they're very bright.

Lassie: A female dog that Alice befriends and rescues in town.

Lucky: A sick infected Rooster that Alice rescues from the Jacobs' Farm in chapter 1.

Martha Jacob: 54-year-old wife of James Jacob, who assisted her husband on their organic farm near David's house.

Mattie Malcolm: A 10-year-old girl that David and Alice encounter when David checks in on her family. David takes her in.

Melissa Eisenmann: 35-year-old overweight woman. One of three people who hiked cross-country to find David based on stories they heard at Ma's hospital.

Moe: One of four llamas that David and Alice rescue from a farm that Alice names after the 3 Stooges because she doesn't think they're very bright.

Monique Lehr: Young black nurse David meets at Ma's old hospital. She follows him home in order to save Debbie Allen.

Natalie: A young 14-year-old Hispanic girl belonging to the Peterson group who David rescues after she becomes infected.

Nick Rogers: A Utah resident who communicates with Alice about their survival and their plans for the future.

Nina Foster: A 14-year-old classmate of Alice's, who traveled cross-country with her siblings and friends trying to find them.

Peter Farmer: Survivor David meets in Charlottesville who agrees to take over farming at the Jacob's Ranch with Heather Farmer.

Peter Thomas: 13-year-old classmate of Alice's who traveled cross-country trying to find them.

Regina Perez: Survivor in Charlottesville who agrees to take over the Rodger's Ranch with Franklin.

Regina Phillips: 59-year-old wife of Rodger Phillips, the owner of the Phillips ranch near David's house.

Rodger Phillips: 63-year-old owner/operator of "Phillips Farm", specializing in crops and locally raised cattle. David finds him and his wife, Regina, in their farmhouse near his home.

Shemp: One of four llamas that David and Alice rescue from a farm that Alice names after the 3 Stooges because she doesn't think they're very bright.

Taylor Peterson: A 72-year-old wealthy financier turned leader of a group of survivors that oppose what David and his group represents.

Terrance White: An acquaintance that Mattie's father, Charles Malcolm, took in that David had thought was her brother.

Tobias: A Bahamas resident Alice reaches via short wave radio (ch. 4), and helps guide to safety.

Tom Landers: A medical researcher that became ill while searching for David, after hearing he had access to someone who'd survived the Great Death.

Tricia: A 36-year-old Hispanic woman belonging to the Peterson group who reaches out to David to save her daughter Natalie after she comes down with a Great Death infection.

Wendy Foster: Nina Foster's 11-year-old sister, who accompanied her on their cross country trek to find Alice and David.

Yertle: A turtle that Alice rescues from their family pond.

Prologue »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.