Guilty, or Not Guilty - Cover

Guilty, or Not Guilty

Copyright© 2012 by Barneyr

Chapter 5: A Trial is Forthcoming

The alarm woke us both up bright and early the next morning. It appeared that we hadn't moved an inch all night. We were still cuddled together in each other's arms. We kissed then Monique got up first, as I lazed in bed thinking about our future. Could we really have a future? We should hopefully learn today or Monday if there would be a trial. I think that Monique needed to work for the time being, though; I mean what if they find me guilty? I know I didn't do it, but I would be gone forever if they find that I did. They still have the death penalty for murder here in Texas. Yes, Monique has to keep working until the trial's outcome. That's settled in my mind; now I only have to convince Monique. Monique came out of the bathroom humming a tune I didn't recognize.

"Up and at 'em, Bill! Svenda should be here shortly to start your rehab, and we don't want her to think that you're lazy, now do we?"

We managed to get me up and on the throne, then into the shower. Between the two of us, we were able to get all of me clean. But we did have to wash a couple of areas a second time, one area on her, and one on me, if you know what I mean. Mine was quite quick and so was Monique's. I guess it had been a while for both of us.

I was dressed in new shorts and one of my old t-shirts as we sat to have breakfast with Svenda. She had moved into the guest room down the hall yesterday evening. I explained that I felt that Monique should keep working until after the trial.

"Monique, Honey, if the worst should happen, you need to still be working."

"William Henry Harrison, we will be getting remarried as soon as we know about the results of your hearing. I will not accept any other answer from you, but yes. I'm putting my foot down this time. I agree that I should still work, but we will be remarried so we can start over, and soon. Got it, William?"

"Yes, Ma'am."

Svenda was giggling sitting there at the table and said, "Mr. Bill, I tink ju got told the vay tinks go now, ja?"

"Yes, Svenda, I think I'm no longer the head of this house."

They both laughed at me and my pouty face.

Monique kissed me goodbye, and Svenda cleaned the kitchen up. Then it was off to the torture chamber for me. I got a call around nine AM that the judge had come to a ruling on the hearing. We had to be in court at one PM sharp. Mike said he would be by to pick me up. We would use my van.

I was in my power chair for my court appearance today. I was dressed in a baggy suit. This was one of my earliest suits from when I was still in school. It was a 52 regular in size, but it was the best I had right now. I had not been able to go shopping since I got released. I had to borrow one of Mike's belts to keep the pants from falling down. I looked like a kid in his father's clothes, but I was there and dressed the best I could for court.

The bailiff called, "All rise, the Honorable Judge David Griffin presiding."

I stood up as the judge was coming in the door by his bench. He sat at his chair and said, "Mr. Harrison, you didn't have to stand for me. I realize your infirmities, and you will be excused from standing when called for."

"Your Honor, I'm only trying to pay my respects to you and to the office you hold, Sir. I thank you for the consideration, but I prefer to stand if I'm able."

"That is very commendable. Now," he banged his gavel, "Court is now in session. In the matter of the State vs. Harrison, I have thought long and hard in this matter. I have decided two things. One is that Mr. Harrison is to continue with the previously set bail as I do not feel he is a flight risk. Secondly, a trial is warranted, we need to get the facts of this case out into the open. I have set the trial date to be the eighth of February. Does this date work for you, Mr. Anderson?"

"Yes, your Honor, the State will be ready by that date."

"Mr. Lloyd, will the defense be ready to proceed on that date?"

"Yes, your Honor, the defense will be ready. I want to thank your Honor for the opportunity to examine the subject computer and other items confiscated from Mr. Harrison's home during the search and seizure conducted after his arrest."

"Good, then we are done here until then. Court is adjourned."

Bang went the gavel and I stood up. The judge glanced over at me and nodded his head. I'm not sure what that nod meant, but I think he liked the fact that I stood to honor him. I sat down and we left the courtroom.

We went to Harold's office building. When we entered his office, I thought that this is really going to cost me money. His offices were very ornate and plush. I just had to ask.

"Harold, I know this a very crass thing to ask, but what is your billable rate?"

Mike looked at me like I should have never said that, but I just looked back at him and raised my eyebrows.

Harold was stifling a giggle and said, "Bill, I am doing this case practically pro bono. I approached Mike when I learned what had happened to you, about the treatment you received from the local law enforcement and at the hospital. I asked if he had handled criminal cases before. He said he was just out of law school and had passed the bar when you hired him to learn to be a patent attorney. He said he did well in school during his mock trials, but that he was mainly a jack of all trades attorney.

"That didn't surprise me when I learned more about your company, Bill. I was fascinated that someone with the education and drive that you have, yet the people you gathered around you were as dedicated and smart as they come, just like you.

"I knew I wanted in. I bought into your company, through your other partners, while you were laid up in the hospital. They needed money for your defense and I wanted to associate myself with a company as diversified and as successful as yours was, and still is today. Because of your people, your company is more successful after their principal has been incarcerated for almost seven months than it was before. Do you know that we have added five more patents and thirty more customers to our fold since this all started?

"Clients usually drop a company like a hot rock when the principal is in a jam like yours. They are like rats deserting a sinking ship, but your company has prospered despite that. I think the reason was that people like John Stevenson, when interviewed, said that he knew you were innocent and it would be proven out in the long run. He said your company was sound, and that he would continue to utilize your company for all their security issues. Many of your top clients clamored to be interviewed once John said that. They all said pretty much the same thing.

"Such loyalty to a man who was in as much trouble as you were warranted my looking into you. I approached Jerry Gardner, who I have known for many years. He told me that if I really wanted to work with someone honest, trustworthy, and loyal, then I needed to hitch my wagon to your team and I would be well cared for. He explained that he was semi-retired now, but that he was still a partner in your business. You picked him up when he was just about broke and out of business. You saw something in him that you needed.

"You saved him from the brink of destruction, and I'll bet even money that you never knew. You breathed new life into him. His wife of thirty-five years had just died of breast cancer. He was lost and ready to join his wife. You saved him and gave him a reason to live again. I can give you a dozen examples of people you have hired who are so high on Bill Harrison that they would gladly lay down their life for you.

"That's what I found when I really looked at WHH Enterprises. So for you, Bill, the rate is zero. Sure, I'll charge the company for my time; but at a much discounted rate, because I am a part of you now. Are we good for now, Boss?"

I couldn't speak. I only nodded my head as the tears were streaming from my eyes. I never knew that about Jerry. I still would have hired him having known it. He was what my fledgling company needed. I hired Sid James as my financial wizard when I heard from a friend that there was this financial guy who was paying for his education by playing the stock market. I asked Sid to come in and talk to me. He was going for his master's in accounting. I asked how he would like a job as my CFO. He laughed and said that one needed a bigger company to need a CFO. I said okay, how about becoming a CFO in training? That was the start for him. I looked back and saw that most of my employees came from word of mouth; someone I knew from school, who knew someone who was a lot like me: nerdy, geeky, or just plain exceptionally smart in their field. I went after them and most were hired. A few turned me down and later wished they hadn't, but I had a great bunch of employees and friends overall.

"Now, we can get down to business, Bill. Sean has already found that all of the e-mails in question were entered into your computer, but were never sent. They were also entered after your arrest. There is no way to see who typed them into your computer, but they are suspicious. He has also been able to recover quite a bit of the videos and audio that had been on the computer and was deleted. The state's forensic expert is jealous of Sean's skills, and wants to have him sign up to be an expert for the State, to be called in for the State when needed expert testimony. Sean told him to wait until after this trial, and he might be available.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.