The Escape
Chapter 42

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

I sat and watched as BK got a cup and came over, looking intently at me as if he was trying to see if I was mad at him or something.

"Ok, BK, what are you up to now?"

"Now why would you think something like that, Thom? I decided I wanted a cup of coffee while they were looking at what we found last night. Thom, do you have any suggestions to help the Colonel?"

"BK, I have a lot of suggestions, but I just don't think it would be advisable for me to make them. He needs to lock down the whole place and do a complete personnel check to see who is missing, then find out where they are if possible. He also needs to cancel anyone leaving the base until further notice and give the MPs strict orders to fire on anyone caught sneaking off base. He also needs to call the outlaw company out and find out how those weapons were able to sneak out and who is responsible for them or signed them off and to whom. You can pass that on, BK, 'cause me and Sarah are going to the cabin for the rest of the day. We'll be back tomorrow."

I got up and went looking for Sarah, finding her in the kitchen watching Brenda fix something. When she saw me, she ran over and I picked her up, hugging her when I did.

"Tell Brenda "Bye" for the rest of the day, Sweetie."

"Where we going, Pops?"

"Well, I thought you and I would go to my place and spend the day sitting around the cabin and get me fatter than I already am. Besides, I need some peace and quiet and I want to show you where we will be living when this all settles down. No, go get your teddy and pack some clean clothes and your toothbrush."

"What about you, Pops?"

"I have enough clothes at the cabin to change fifty times without running out."

"Do you have food for us too?"

"Yes, I won't let you go hungry, Sarah."

She gave me that look and then ran out, giggling to herself. I got a funny look from Brenda but she didn't say anything. I grabbed the AK and my vest, wondering where Sarah was as I headed back towards the dining room. Well I found out when I saw her and Shelly waiting on me. Oh boy, I thought, how much trouble am I in this time. When I walked up, Shelly was looking at me and to me it looked like she had tears in her eyes as I faced her.

"You and Sarah are coming back, ain't ya Pops?"

"Of course. We'll be back first thing in the morning. I just want to let her see the cabin and do some thinking. I need some quiet time for us and to let Sarah see where she will be living when this is all over."

"Oh, ok. I thought maybe you had decided to go home for good. I will see you in the morning then."

I got a sad grin, and she gave Sarah a hug, telling her to be good and that she would like my place.

As she walked away I said; "You might want to ask your mom where you and Mikey will be going tomorrow."

I grabbed Sarah and made a hasty retreat before she could start asking questions. We jumped in my unit and headed out, but I should have known I wouldn't get away with my mysterious comment.

"Pops, if Shelly and Mikey are going somewhere, am I invited too?"

"Well, since I would probably be scalped if I didn't include you, yes, you will be going too. All of you will be armed and dangerous."

In retrospect, I shouldn't have said anything 'till we got to the cabin, because I was now deaf in my right ear. I was looking at the windows to see if her squeal had cracked any of them. I looked over at her as we pulled up to the gate and the grin went from ear to ear. I got it unlocked and pulled through, locking it behind us. I was looking at her as we went down the ramp and her eyes looked like they were going to pop out as she looked all around my little slice of heaven.

"Wow, is this going to be my new home? This place is great! Oh, you have an ATV too! Can I learn how to ride it so I can go visit Shelly and Mikey?"

"All in good time, Sarah. Right now let's just get inside and I will show you your room so we can just relax. Oh, and before I forget, if you walk around, watch out for snakes. Other than that warning, you can explore all you want."

"Shelly told me about the cave; don't worry I will be careful. Now, I just want something cold to drink and sit in one of your chairs and just enjoy the quiet. Boy this is so nice, it sure beats living in that RV. Pops, thank you for saving me. I was hungry and thirsty when you found me and I was about ready to try to sneak out and look for supplies. I knew Mom and Dad were dead and I was scared to death one of those things would see me. Now I can protect myself and have so many friends, and you to make sure I am safe. Pops, I don't ever want to leave you."

I shut down the unit and hugged her to me with a big lump in my throat. I just held her for a few minutes before letting her go and opening my door. I grabbed the AK and waited for her to get her backpack and teddy before I headed for the door with her beside me. I wasn't ten steps away when the hair on the back of my neck stood up and I froze mid step. I swung towards Sarah, putting my finger over my lips and swinging the AK down as I did. I motioned for Sarah to move back and slowly followed her as she did. When we got to the corner of the cabin, I put her in my unit and locked the doors.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.