The Escape - Cover

The Escape

Copyright© 2012 by terriblethom

Chapter 23

I had just cleared the area near where I had shot the others when I heard the crunch of gravel to my rear and right. I swung around in that direction and saw a woman come around the side of the small tourist store. She saw me and I almost froze in place, watching how fast she moved towards me. I aimed and shot her in the head, noticing the dried blood all over the front of the blouse she had on. Damn, I thought, those things are fast. No wonder we were warned about them hunting anything alive. I had just dropped the muzzle towards the ground when a man came around the same building with blood all over his front too. I didn't hesitate this time, but dropped him as soon as I got the sight centered on his head. I waited a few minutes to see if any more were going to show up, but I didn't see or hear anything. I moved on towards the gas pumps, staying out of sight of the open doors facing the pumps.

I waited a few minutes before moving towards the doors. There was a small RV sitting next to the entrance and as I passed it, I heard a thump. I froze in place while looking around, trying to see if I missed one of those things, and if one was hiding behind the camper. I didn't hear anything else so I slowly moved around the front of it. I slung the AK and pulled my pistol, sliding the safety into the fire position. I quickly peeked around the front and it was clear. For some reason I looked up towards the front window of the camper and got the shit scared out of me. There was a little face pressed up against the front glass staring at me. I almost had a heart attack as she waved at me. I made the universal sign of silence by putting my finger across my lips and she nodded at me, moving back away from the glass. I motioned for her to stay down as I moved towards the doors.

I went through the first set and flattened against the wall, looking into the store area. It was clear so I moved inside, putting my back against the counter looking around the rest of the store. I could see three of those things, all bent down, eating from what looked to be two badly mangled bodies. From what I could see, there wasn't much left of either one of them. I figured they were the little girl's parents. I got ready and made a whistling noise. They all three looked up and started to move towards me. I waited, delaying my shots to make sure I dropped them close to the door. I dropped all three within a few feet of where I was standing and breathed a sigh of relief when the last one went down. I waited, listening with ringing ears to see if any more were going to show up. When nothing happened, I moved across the store, looking down the aisles to make sure that was all of them. It was and after I checked out the restrooms, I grabbed a couple of tarps off the shelf. I covered the bodies; wrapping them so I could move them outside where they wouldn't pollute the store as they rotted. After I finished wrapping them, I dragged all of them outside and then went back in and washed my hands at the sink by the coffee pots. I shut those down and then popped the cover off the air conditioning control, turning it down to 40 degrees. I went to the store side and grabbed a short length of chain and a pad lock. As I went out, I got three large Cokes then closed the inner doors and chained the outer doors. I put the lock on them and pushed the emergency shut off button for the pumps.

I looked around carefully before I moved to the camper and knocked on the door. "Sweetie you can come out now, it's safe."

"Are you sure those things out there are gone?"

"Well, I don't see any more of them."

"I think they got my mommy and daddy. They went inside to get some food and water and never came out. I heard mommy scream and then nothing. Mister, are you sure you're not one of them?"

"Well, I don't think they can talk and if you were looking out the window, I am sure you saw the helicopter I got out of." I knew I was wasting valuable time, but I wasn't about to leave her here all by herself. I heard the door lock click and then the side door opened slowly. She looked to be about five or six years old and had long black hair. She was wearing a blue snap up western shirt and a pair of Wranglers with a matching vest. She was a tiny little thing and as cute as a button.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.