Wolf Mother
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2012 by Rolf

Note: First Person speech now

That Little Fox insisted that either me or her father should carry the baby was planned, I think, it was just that human male trait of ours that readily complied. The girl was far more powerful that I ever would be. It was her initial attempt to have the baby and I bond. It was not needed though, I already would do anything to protect her and the baby. The first night we camped, she gathered berries, roots and some honey; we made that a meal. Her father ate a fish and two rabbits.

We seemed to always be heading towards the Sun. I found it difficult to comprehend that the clan would be so distant, but then again, I suspected that it was not often a human was taken there. They might have travelled much faster alone. I was informed that we would camp one more time. The clan was near but the father wanted to inform them that he was bringing a human there. That this human was one who grew up in these forests and wanted to join the clan. Just then I really did not realize all that entailed.

Little Fox, in just those two days seemed to regain her strength and her appetite. She asked me if I would care for the baby while she hunted. It did not occur to me that both she and her father were leaving me alone with him. I fell asleep with the baby in my arms. I never even saw or felt the eyes on me.

When I awoke I dimly saw a tall dark figure off to the side; I wondered how long I had been watched. I sat up, the baby, 'our baby' was still asleep. Little Fox had not returned from hunting yet. I became worried, it was not like any mother I had known to leave her child for so long. I felt it in my bones; something must have happened!

I started to stand up and several things took place. First the baby started to cry, not a cry really, more like a whine or howl. Then the figure came closer and I saw a smaller version of Little Fox's father only this was red. In my mind I heard: 'I claim Little Fox, she is promised to me now that I have killed her mate. If you give me the baby I will let you live human. Leave here now, this is none of your concern.'

My breathing had quickened, there was no way to check my pulse, but I could feel it rising in my head. Out of the corner of my eye I could see the outline of Little Fox racing on all fours to us. She was in the same shape as when I first saw her, a wolf. When she approached, without thinking much, I handed her the baby, told her to run to my parents as fast as she could and tell what had happened, they would accept her.

Remembering my meeting with her mate/father, I challenged this interloper, hoping the battle would give her enough of a head start. Females of their kind were so much faster than the males and could keep up the pace for miles. I had no hope of winning against this beast but if I was lucky, I would at least cripple or slow down his pursuit of Little Fox and the baby. At least that is what I hoped. I drew my knife and tomahawk out, took a stance and started my death song. 'It was a good day to die', I thought!

"No, we will not leave. Where you go, we shall follow!" She too drew a knife, held the blade near the now peacefully sleeping baby and looked at me. It was a look I never would or could forget. At that moment there was no doubt we were a family. She, and by default the baby, had chosen death. There was no way I could win and there was a slim chance she could kill the baby and herself before the beast stopped her. My plan was now forgotten. Several dozen more of her kind, both male and female now appeared to ring the glen, watching. I looked back at Little Fox. No words were spoken, just two nodding heads. She would kill the baby, I would kill her. My life had no meaning, and if I could, would follow her. I started to move, she raised the knife and began the slash to the baby's neck. She stopped for a second to look again at me, kissed the baby one last time, then started to slit it's throat.

As I tried to smash her head with my tomahawk, everything started to go first blue, then black. I felt nothing. I was someplace else and my only desire was that Little Fox and the baby had managed their sacrifice without me.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.