Bill Sutherland. 6 in STOPWATCH
Chapter 34

Copyright© 2012 by Old Man with a Pen

"Yes, Bill. In a long line of bad ideas, winning the lottery using your watch is probably the worst idea you've ever had." Mina frowned, "it puts all the other watches ... and their users ... in jeopardy."

"How so?"

"Most of the watch users were / are looking for a little comfort and a few bucks to invest, pay taxes on and live under the radar. Wendy the first, and her David, used the newspapers to research stolen or illegal funds, recover part of them and bought stocks they knew were going to be worth a bundle ... just a few at a time.

"They furthered their educations and learned useful trades that could produce enough funds to cover what they had invested. You, on the other hand, popped into the gold fields and took ... in a couple of cases ... the original find."

"So?"

"Bill, you changed history."

"So?"

"The hunter / farmer who was supposed to discover a pretty good gold field, didn't. The nice sized nugget buried in the rootball of the tree wasn't there to draw his eye. The field was found, but ten years later.

"Three or four guys ... we're not sure which ... who were supposed to die during the rush, didn't. Instead of being killed in a robbery, they became businessmen ... the extra ten years of life experiences, wised them up. Rather than be miners, they ran stores or saloons that sold to the miners.

"Very few actual miners get rich ... it's the people who supply the miners ... at outrageous prices ... that make the money. The ancestor of one of the three, or four, is a US Senator. There's a good chance he might become President."

"Oh."

"David and Wendy ... the first pair ... not the ones we know, allowed the stock market, reasonably invested, to give them enough to live on. Wendy Too found her money by a total accident ... but she didn't NEED it. Her parents had already set up a trust that provided for a nice life.

"You, Bill, used the watch like a genie in a lamp. 'I've only got three wishes so I better get all I can.' The watch doesn't run out of 'wishes.' What are you going to do to fix it?"

"Not a damn thing. What's done is done. I can't change it ... I wouldn't if I could." Bill looked like a two year old who's had his toy truck taken away. "I guess I need to live on what little I have."

"Eleven ... nearly twelve ... million dollars a year is not 'little' Bill."

"But." Bill started whining, he complained " ... I'm paying out 10 percent and ... and ... taxes ... and ... and ... I bought all these airplanes. Megan's got money and you're not mad at her. You always seem to have money ... You must have a lot because I was told my debit card is pretty much bottomless."

Now Bill was not only looking like a spoiled terrible two's ... he was acting like one. Rather than face the music, he stuck his hand in his pocket and wound the watch without looking.

"Well, that's one problem gone ... at least for awhile. Megan?" If Mina had glasses, she would be looking over the top of them at Megan.

That disapproving look mothers get when you shaved the cat.

"Oh Mina ... it was exciting, flying those planes ... and they look so good sitting in their restored hangars. Sharpe Field is a living museum now."

"How much is your payroll, Megan?" Mina asked. "You're not a bottomless pit you know."

"About a million a year ... oh ... shit! That's a lot of money ... but there's money coming in. The Marina charters my boat so it's pretty much free. I just have to let them know when I want to use it. The lots are doing well ... and I'm getting kickbacks from the contractor building the homes.

"The hangar space is leasing. Even the tiedown space is filling up. I did spend a lot ... ten debit cards ... doing the restoration, but I got the hangars cheap. I'm getting people wanting to tour the base and they're willing to pay. I have a couple of local girls who give tours for the fee and tips.

"But..." Megan teared up a little, " ... after Daddy." She sobbed a bit.

Mina gave her a hug ... there's a lot of healing in a hug. She offered the box of kleenex ... they used half of them. Mina was really worried about Bill. After a little bit, ... Megan calmed down and continued.

" ... and the money on the boat, selling the Cobra, and his house in Armadillo ... and all the money they found there ... and I am the sole heir, I'm doing ok. I can't spend the interest ... and I am paying attention to business.

"If I never made a dime and just used my winnings ... I'd be dead before I spent it all. The house is paid for ... the condo in town is fully rented ... the state is paying for the archaeological dig ... but I do have to donate the finds ... that's alright. That stuff needs to be in a museum.

"Gosh, Mina ... I've been busy ... and I didn't even notice."

"You have one year left for school ... then your estate taxes will kick in ... unless you keep going, and you should. If for no other reason than to keep the IRS bastards away from the money. You're doing quite well for a young lady of 20."

"Mina ... you're only 21."

"Yeah ... but I was still born in 1946. Respect your elders, youngun."

They both laughed so hard...

"Well, that's better ... I wonder what Bill is doing?"


Andie was wondering the same thing. "I wonder what Bill is doing?"

Her roommate said, "Huh?"

"Bill ... you know..." She held her hand way over her head. "Bill."

"Oh ... THAT Bill. I have no idea."

"It was a rhetorical question ... I asked, not because I thought you knew, but I needed to say it out loud."

"Andie, there's times when I do not have a clue as to what you mean."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.