Bill Sutherland. 6 in STOPWATCH
Chapter 15: It's flying time again, you're going to leave me

Copyright© 2012 by Old Man with a Pen

"I can't tell you. Not here."

"What!?"

"I'm sworn to secrecy."

"You're shittin' me."

"Nope. In fact, you have to leave me here."

"You're not taking one of the Stagger-wings?"

"Nope."

"Well ... what are you?"

"Can't say. When you get back to Armadillo, you need to open up the last hangar in the row."

"That piece of junk? It'll fall down with the door open. We don't keep anything in it."

"It's the only hangar you got that will fit."

"Whoa! Dude! That big?"

"Mike? A little less shit and a lot more, 'Yes Sir ... You have the money and I respect that.' I'd appreciate it if you'll accommodate me on this."

"Oh ... that hurt! You think I like you because you pay your hangar rent on time?"

"That and the money we spend flying everything you come up with just so we stay current and checked out."

"I do have to admit I was skeptical when both of you showed up wanting to learn how to fly."

"Yeah ... I thought you were going to get a crick in your neck trying to see down Mina's blouse."

"She does have a set."

"Hey ... my sister." Bill scowled, and then laughed. "She is hot," he admitted.

"That too." Mike thought he had Bill set up. "So... ?"

"I'll tell you one thing ... the British loved them."

"That's it?"

"Yup ... they thought it was the best transport of the war ... oops, that's two things."

"You know I'm going to be waiting."

"That's OK ... I'll be in possession then and the museums will have to leave me alone."

Mike left just coming on evening. The PZL was one sweet flying oddball. The more he flew it the better he liked it. And it DID look like a dragonfly with one set of wings. Re settled in, relaxing. His cellphone rang. "Hello?"

"That is one weird looking aircraft, Mike."

"Bill?"

"Yeah."

"Where are you?"

"Blind spot. I'll pull in a little closer."

"What the fuck is that!!"

"German transport."

"It's got British markings."

"Yeah ... I told you they loved it. See why I need a big hangar?"

"What's those wheels under the fuselage?"

"Ditch jumpers."

"Huh?"

"I'll explain it all when we get down."

(The Arado Ar 232-B was the first real cargo aircraft, all others before this were converted to use passenger planes. The Arado introduced, or brought together, almost all of the features now considered to be "standard" in modern cargo transport aircraft designs, including a box-like fuselage slung beneath a high wing; a rear loading ramp, a high tail for easy access to the hold; and various features for operating from rough fields ... i.e the ditch jumper wheels along the fuselage bottom.

The British captured two at the end of the war and used them for hauling away other captured aircraft. This one had four BMW 801 engines taken from wrecked German bombers.

The original BRAMO engines were grossly under powered... 875 hp each. Even with reusable 'bottle rockets' getting a loaded twin engine 232 type 0 off the ground was hazardous.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.