What the Future May Bring - Cover

What the Future May Bring

Copyright© 2012 by Going Forward 55

Chapter 30

The following day was gray and gloomy, with a raw chill that penetrated the thickest and warmest clothing. Shortly after noon a blue sedan turned off of I-95 North and headed toward College Park, Maryland, driving through Washington before going to his destination. The man was alone in the three year old car that had its share of scratches and minor dents that belied the powerful engine that was under the hood. Except for a six hour rest break that he had taken in South Carolina, he had been driving straight to Washington from Miami, where he had been given his assignment.

He stayed away from the areas near the White House and the Capitol, figuring he would park his car and ride the Metro to these areas, which he would then explore on foot. A tourist on foot was less likely to attract attention than one driving a car with Florida plates. He drove away from this part of Washington and went toward the suburbs that had the cheaper hotels and motels. Not as if money was a problem, but he figured that he was less likely to attract attention there. About 1:30 in the afternoon, John Stevenson checked into the Best Western, getting a room in the back where he had some privacy and was less likely to be observed.


At 3:15 the Mexicana Airlines flight from Mexico City touched down at Andrews Air Force Base and was met by the Undersecretary of State for Inter-American Affairs and others from the State Department.

After a brief welcome, Maria Velazquez got into an armored limousine and proceeded to the Mexican Embassy. Steve Stone was led to the waiting helicopter, which he then boarded for the short flight to the White House.

He landed on the south lawn of the White House, and was then ushered directly into the Oval Office, where President Lehrer greeted him with a warm hug and a kiss. "Oh Steve, I was so worried about you when I heard about what had happened down there. I'm so glad you're all right!"

"You don't think a little thing like a revolution is going to hurt me, do you? Hell, I survived on some of the roughest streets in Philadelphia and Mexico City. It's going to take more than that to get me."

"You ass," replied the president to Steve's bravado. "Anyway, why don't you tell me what is happening down there."

Steve then filled her in on the latest developments in Mexico, and about his discussions with Maria Velazquez on the trip to Washington. He told her about Maria's reaction when he told her that the president had frozen Cohecho's assets, and how Maria felt that that was a positive step, but not enough to stop the default. The president then asked him to come to the meeting she was having later with her economic advisers so that he could update them as well.


Later that evening, following the meetings with her economic advisers, President Lehrer met with the first group of heads of state who had begun to arrive for President Ruskin's state funeral. Canadian Prime Minister Thomas Kincaid, British Prime Minister James Wellington, French President Pierre Molineaux and German Chancellor Klaus Kruk arrived at the White House at about 8:30 for a brief get acquainted session with the new U.S. head of state.

After meeting them at the South Portico, President Lehrer led the leaders into the East Room, where President and Mrs. Ruskin were lying in state. There, they each went up to the flag draped caskets and knelt for a brief prayer for the souls of the late President and First Lady. After they were done, President Lehrer then showed them the way to the Oval Office.

After the President got drinks for her guests, they all sat down to discuss the latest developments in the Mideast and Mexico and how to approach them.

She began the discussion by updating them on the information that Steve had passed on to her that afternoon and requesting their help to prevent a run on the dollar. The foreign leaders assured her that they would consult with their finance ministers and the heads of their central banks and would have an answer for her within a day or two.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.