Alone
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2012 by Salladin

The Club

I know knew how the 'Yankee in King Arthur's Court' must have felt.

That all went by the wayside when the distinguished -looking gentleman took my hand, as to shake it, slipping a card into it, and saying, "Welcome to 'The Club".

I only could say, 'Thank You, Very Much."

"I love it here and want to make my home here. I was from Northern Virginia and from everything I have seen in this area, I hope to be able to fit in."

He smiled. "You seem to be making a good start. The right people have made it known that this should be your 'second home', or in your case, the 3rd or 4th one. It seems a number of our townsfolk want you to feel welcome. There are a few things you will need to know and maybe ask a few question. I'm usually here and won't lead you astray, much."

"Let's let the ladies refresh and get settled, I'll introduce you to a few folks who you'll be seeing from time to time. A nice cool drink is ready for you on the terrace."

A few parts of sour mash, some lime, sugar, a sprig of mint and a splash of 'branch water' and you have 'God's Gift To Gentility'. No day should go without one.

I was introduced to Judge, Sheriff, Congressman and again Peter the Banker. After some 'good ole'boy stories', they asked about me. What could I say! I told both the truth and what I felt they wanted to hear. I was trying to start a new, simple and quiet life. Everyone I had met here made me think that this was what I was looking for.

A few people that I had just met had gone out of their way to help me, I included naming Peter. These men told me that most folk here felt the same way and mentioned that things would be very quiet and simple-going around here.

I thanked them, told them I looked forward to seeing them again and left to join the ladies.

Jen and the girls all stood up when I arrived at out table. I should have known then that something about her and the girls was different. I had noticed the changes in them since I found them on the side of the road. They would do anything I wanted. They seemed to be happiest when being told what to do. I made a promise right then and there that I would never hurt them or let anyone else do so.

"Girls, including Jen, I heard this will be real 'Southern Cooking'. We belong here now and y'all can take one of the cars and come here anytime you want. I read that there is swimming, riding, golf, tennis, sauna and a massage available. On special occasions, and Holidays there are many things for the girls too. One of the things we will be doing today is finding us a place to live. You girls are family now. You will be living with me and will learn many new things. As you grow up, you never have to worry about anything, nor do I want you to let others lead you astray. Right now, Jen has enough money to take care of you if something happens to me. In a short while you all will be taken care of with something Marie and her Mom are working on. But for now, like me you are starting on a new life. We can stay in Richmond, go back to Stillwater Junction or any other place we choose. I said 'we' and that is exactly what I mean, 'we', you can say what you really think. I know that it may take a bit, but each of you are important to me. What makes you happy is when you are happy."

I meant that. It was easy to see that, like a dog, they had all been 'cowered' in the past. They seemed to never want anything or to make a decision, since it was likely to be reversed. It would take time, but, eventually, with kindness and understanding their true self would come back. I had another idea to discuss with Marie and her Mom.

When lunch came, with the exception of the BBQ and chicken, everything seemed 'bland' to me. Salt, sugar, and pepper seemed to be missing. It was good, but would take some getting used to.

"Jen", I said turning to her. "Please give James the keys to your car and house, and the address there." I asked James to have Jake take the car, see if it was worth fixing and also see what was needed at the house. Jen handed over the keys after writing down the address.

There was not a word out of her, nor from the girls. In-fact, they all looked relieved. Someone was telling them what to do and was not hurting them. I was later to find out from James that several men had been hanging around Jen's shack, he called it. Jake had told him that Jen had been having problems and those men seemed more interested in the girls than in trying to help her. James made a call on his Sat phone and there were no more 'visitors' at Jen's shack.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.