Replay - Cover

Replay

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

Chapter 22

The first thing that Randy did on Monday morning was to make an appointment to see the Commanding Officer and ask permission to marry. He had to give the adjutant the reason and had his leg pulled. He was called in at nine-thirty.

The CO was po-faced. "You're only twenty-six, Randy, and will be without a job in a few months. Are you sure this is a good idea."

"Yes, Colonel. I know what I want to do next, teach, and I will have found myself a job by the start of the autumn term. In the meanwhile I'm quite prepared to stack shelves in a supermarket."

The CO's eyes began to twinkle even though he managed to keep a straight face.

"Are you sure she's suitable as a regimental wife?"

"We won't be marrying until you're shot of me, Colonel."

"Just as well. You do know that commanding officers have droit de seigneur."

Randy grinned delightedly. "May I take that as permission, Colonel?"

"Yes of course, Randy, and congratulations. Are you bringing her to the Guest Night?"

"Yes, Colonel."

"Great! I look forward to meeting her." He rose and shook Randy's hand warmly. "Try and keep your head out of the clouds for your remaining time with us."

"Don't worry, Colonel, Sergeant Thompson will keep my feet on the ground."

The Commanding Officer clapped him on the shoulder. "He will indeed, Randy. Off you go."

Naturally, Randy also told Brian Althrop, his squadron leader.

"Aha," said he. "The pretty girl from Red Hall. I was very impressed with her as is my daughter. Congratulations, Randy!"

Randy arrived at The Lodge at half past six on Friday. He wanted to be away by quarter to seven. As he had expected, only Jerry was downstairs.

"I don't think she'll be long, Randy. Would you like a drink while you're waiting?"

"No thanks, Jerry. There'll be more than enough booze flowing this evening."

Jerry smiled. "I've no doubt. Good for you."

Moments later Emma appeared. "Ooh, Randy, you do look dashing!" she exclaimed and gave him a quick kiss. "You'll bowl herself over. Don't worry. She'll be down in a minute. She's just taking a few deep breaths."

Indeed Zoë appeared in the doorway almost immediately and stood there looking uncharacteristically apprehensive. Randy was struck dumb and could only stare at her. She was breathtakingingly lovely. Her dark hair was piled on the top of her head and accentuated her swan-like neck which was further enhanced by the diamond choker Jerry had lent her. Her arms and shoulders were flawless and seemed almost to glow. Her dress fitted her closely and showed off her pretty figure to perfection.

"Oh, Zoë!" Randy managed to whimper. "Oh, Zoë, you ... you ... are so beautiful. Oh, my darling!"

Zoë smiled back radiantly. "Thank you, Randy," she said softly. "You look very handsome too."

"Photograph," ordered Emma.

"Hang on a mo'," said Randy recovering himself. "She's not quite ready." He delved in his waistcoat pocket and pulled out a ring. Without a word he knelt in front of Zoë and, taking her left hand without a word, slipped the ring onto her finger.

Zoë gazed at it and her eyes filled with tears. "Th-thank you, Randy my darling. It ... it's beautiful."

She fell to her knees, took his face in her hands, and very gently and very lovingly kissed him. They stood together and Zoë held her hand out for her parents to see.

"Isn't it beautiful?" she asked.

"Lovely, sweety. Quite lovely," said Emma.

"Absolutely. You're a very lucky girl," added Jerry.

Zoë could not restrain herself, flung her arms round Randy's neck and kissed him hard.

"I think," said Emma with a grin, "some make-up first aid is called for and you Randy need to get rid of the lipstick on your face. Come on, Zoë. Quick! Quick!"

The two of them dashed upstairs and Randy went to the downstairs cloakroom. Five minutes later they were off, the photograph having been taken as well.

Zoë sat in the car as though mesmerised although she almost shone with happiness. At last she reached out a tentative hand and rested it on Randy's thigh.

"I love you, my Randy," she said, "and I'm so happy I could fly."

Randy briefly covered her hand with his. "That makes two of us."

Zoë giggled. "Peter Pan and Wendy."

"Wait till you meet Captain Hook."

"Ooh!"

They were back to normal. Just about.

They were among the last to arrive and, having been greeted by the President of the Mess Committee, Randy led Zoë to meet his commanding officer.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.