Replay
Chapter 21

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

Randy did ring Zoë not because there was a problem but purely and simply he wanted to hear her voice and talk with her. His parents were delighted that they were coming to stay. He said that he would not be able to get away before five on Friday. Zoë would be free at lunch time so she decided that she would go into Pitsbury in the afternoon and see if she could get a dress for the Guest Night there rather than drag Randy or his mother into Bath on Saturday. Randy said he would pick her up from home around half past five and they would get to his parents' about an hour later.

"Have you got any idea what sort of a dress you're going to get?" he asked.

"Ooh yes! Backless, strapless, long of course with slits on either side right up to my bum! Oh and a really plunging neckline to show the tattoos on my boobs!"

Randy was momentarily stunned and then roared with laughter. "You nearly had me there," he chortled.

"No, Randy. I'm dead serious." Then she got the giggles.

"You're a very naughty girl."

"Would you rather I had a high neck and long sleeves? I could wear a burka, if you want."

"You won't be able to eat much."

"Oh! No, I hadn't thought of that."

They both laughed together. Conversation carried on for a good half hour and both of them were very happy afterwards.

Zoë managed to find a suitable dress. It was lighter than navy blue but still quite dark and silky. The back showed her shoulder blades but no lower. The front showed no more than a hint of cleavage. It was sleeveless. She managed to get some matching shoes as well with only smallish heels. She did not want to be as tall as Randy.

She showed it to Emma on a hanger. Emma thoroughly approved. "I've got a shawl I can lend you to go with it because it could be quite nippy. You need something round your neck, something a bit more glamorous than that pearl necklace of yours."

"Um," said Jerry looking slightly guilty. "I gave all Bridie's jewellery to the boys' wives but I kept something that belonged originally to my grandmother. I should have given it to you, my darling, but had forgotten about it. Zoë might like to wear it. It's a bit dated but I think it's beautiful."

"Go and get it, darling," said Emma.

Jerry shook his head. "I'll have to go to the bank. They're keeping it safe for me."

"Whew! What's it like?"

"It's a diamond choker about half an inch wide."

"Oh wow!" breathed Zoë.

Jerry was relieved that Emma had not appeared in any way peeved and so he smiled.

"You do realise," he said solemnly to Zoë, "that you will be handcuffed to a security guard all evening."

Zoë nodded solemnly and then leapt at Jerry.

"You are such a special man, Dad, and Mum is so lucky to have you." She kissed him and then hugged him hard.

"That'll do, miss."

Zoë giggled. "Jealous as well as lucky." She kissed him again. "There you are, Mum. He's still in one piece."

Emma growled and then smiled. "Thank you, sweety. More by good luck than good judgement, I'd say."

Jerry reached out and pulled her into a one-armed hug. He still had Zoë in the other.

Randy arrived a little after half past five and was pleased to see that Zoë was packed and ready to go.

"You're late, Captain Asquith," she said sternly.

"Yes, ma'am. Sorry, ma'am."

"I'll let it pass this time," came the airy reply, and a soft peck on the lips.

Randy was thrilled.

Zoë was warmly welcomed by Randy's parents and younger brother, Freddy. Both parents were small. Clement (call me Clem) was perhaps an inch taller than Randy and the two looked very alike. Anthea was tiny. "Same as Tricia," thought Zoë.

"Well, now you've arrived we can get on with the serious part of the evening," said Clem. "What can I get you to drink, Zoë?"

"G and T?" she asked hopefully.

"No trouble. That's two. Beer for you two boys, I imagine. Freddy, would you deal with that?"

Anthea led Zoë and Randy into the drawing room, plonked herself on the sofa and patted it.

"Come and sit beside me, Zoë," she said.

Zoë did so and looked around her. "What a heavenly room!" she exclaimed. "I love the chair covers and the curtains. Where's the picture over the fireplace of?"

"Charterhouse. All three of my boys went there. In fact, so did Clem's father and brother."

"It's most attractive."

"I think they'd all agree with you, certainly in retrospect."

"About what?" asked Clem coming into the room with a tray of drinks and handing them out.

"Charterhouse being attractive."

"Yes and you're right about in retrospect. I don't think that other than the chapel I ever thought about it while I was there. I understand you're teaching at a prep school, Zoë. Where?"

"Red Hall. It's about five miles this side of Pitsbury."

"How long have you been there?"

"A year and am absolutely loving it."

"Her headmaster and his wife are a super couple," chipped in Randy. "I went to chapel with Zoë last Sunday. Mrs Halloran invited us to drinks afterwards and then in the afternoon while Zoë was doing Brownies he showed me round and told me all about how to get into teaching. He couldn't have been kinder or more helpful."

"They really are pretty special," added Zoë.

"Sounds like it," said Anthea appreciatively.

"You're still serious about teaching, are you?" asked Clem.

"Yes, Dad."

Conversation never flagged. Zoë liked them all and found them amusing. Saturday and Sunday were the same and Zoë was really quite sad to leave.

Clem and Anthea were sorry to see her go. "That is one special girl," said Anthea to Clem.

He nodded. "Jolly pretty too."

"Pretty nothing! She's beautiful. Randy's nuts about her."

"That was pretty obvious. Couldn't take his eyes off her or resist touching her whenever he had the opportunity."

"Same with her," grinned Anthea.

Clem grinned back. "Well, wait and see, my love."

"Yes, dear."

Neither Zoë or Randy wanted the weekend to finish and they wanted some time on their own before it did. They dawdled on the way back to The Lodge. They stopped on the edge of the Drill Valley where there was a pleasant view and sitting hand in hand talked. Neither was prepared to commit themself but it was clear to both of them that each felt a strong pull.

"By the way," said Randy, "I've booked you accommodation at the camp for the night of the Guest Night. You'll be sharing a room with another girl, I'm afraid, but," he grinned, "there's safety in numbers."

"Thanks. That's great. I'd like to get ready at home though if that's all right."

"Of course. Just bring your night things and something to wear the next morning."

Zoë nodded. "I'm so excited." She squeezed his hand.

"Good!" Randy smiled and, leaning across kissed her gently.

That was not enough for Zoë and she pulled him back for a more serious kiss. Still neither said anything when they broke but their eyes just about said it all.

Randy was easily persuaded to stay for a supper of scrambled eggs on toast and was invited to dinner and to stay the night again the following Saturday, an invitation he accepted with alacrity. He said goodbye reluctantly but was cheered by another protracted farewell kiss from Zoë.

They spoke together several times during the week. Randy was now quite convinced that Zoë was the girl for him and he was pretty certain that she felt the same way for him. On purpose he made sure that he arrived at The Lodge before she did on Saturday evening.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.