Replay
Chapter 18

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

Simon arrived earlier than usual at The Lodge on Friday evening. Emma met him at the door.

"Hallo, Simon dear," she smiled and kissed his cheek. "You're early."

Simon merely smiled slightly shyly.

"Come on in. Your timing's immaculate. Jerry's just pouring drinks."

She pulled him into the kitchen.

"Look who's here already," she cried.

"Hello, Simon," Jerry welcomed him with a warm smile. "Just in time. Beer?"

"Um, could I have a whisky and soda?"

Jerry could not help a momentary pause of surprise but continued smoothly, "Yes, of course."

Both he and Emma noticed with amusement that Simon took a large swallow before following them into the drawing-room and then, putting his glass down, stood there.

There was a strained silence until Jerry with a smile said, "What's on your mind, Simon?"

"I-I'm not quite sure who to ask but I think it's you, Jerry. Please may I have Joanna's hand in marriage?"

Jerry was tempted to prolong things but instead took Emma's hand, glanced at her reading her eyes, and replied simply, "Yes, Simon."

Emma beat him to it and was off the sofa like a shot. "And yes from me too, Simon," she said taking his head in her hands and pulling it down to kiss him warmly.

Jerry stood too and shook his hand. "Have you asked her?"

At last Simon smiled and it lit the room. "No," he said. "It's probably killing her but I wanted to ask you first. It-it only seemed right."

"Oh, Simon, you're such a sweet romantic," exclaimed Emma and gave him another smacking kiss. "So when are you going to pop the question?"

"Well, I ... er ... I had thought after dinner this evening but I don't think I can wait because I don't want to leave her on tenterhooks."

"Have you told her you were going to do this?"

"No, but with the way things have been going I reckon she felt last weekend was the test and that with it being the success it was that I would ask her last Wednesday."

"You're a meany," smiled Emma. "Why not ask her when she arrives, outside as she gets out of her car? Darling, have we any champagne?"

"No but I can slip up to the pub and get some, chilled too."

"Go! Even if Simon loses his nerve we'll have some ready for tomorrow. Simon, I'm sorry, I'm being bossy again."

Simon smiled fondly at her. "I think it's a great idea," he said. "Otherwise she'd have been sitting through dinner on tenterhooks." He put his arms round her shoulders. "I think I'm going to love my mother-in-law almost as much as my wife."

"Hmm," said Emma. "Watch it, boy."

Simon roared with laughter and relaxed. Nevertheless he had to wait the best part of forty minutes before Joanna arrived and was in a state of nerves again. Jerry gave him another whisky and soda, advising him to cancel his table at the Crown and book instead at the Trout.

"You can walk it," he grinned.

That took ten minutes out of the wait but finally, with apologies, he watched out of the study window. He was out of the front door as the car stopped and fell to his knees as Joanna stepped out of it.

"Joanna, my darling, will you marry me?"

Her breath caught in her throat. All she could do was collapse in front of him and fling her arms round his neck.

"Yes!" she squeaked and buried her face in his shoulder.

They clung to each other unable to move for all of a minute before looking up. There were tears in both of their eyes.

"Oh, my darling!" they said together and then went back into the hug.

Joanna's head was the first up and she smiled tearfully at him. "Why did you wait so long, my darling? I thought that after last weekend you'd be ready to ask."

"It was hard," he whispered, "but I wanted to ask your parents first."

"Oh, my darling love, you are a very sweet and polite man but I could bonk you on the head for leaving me in the air like that."

"I know. It was nearly killing me too but we're there now."

"Yes, you bully, and this gravel's giving my knees gyp."

He stood and helped her to her feet.

That is when Emma hit her, wrapping her in her arms and then kissing her. "Well done, my darling. He's a lovely, lovely man. I hope you'll both be very happy. In fact, I know you will."

Joanna hugged her back equally strongly. "I don't think I've ever been happier," she whispered.

"I bet." She kissed her again. "I'd better let Dad have a go."

Jerry held her at arms' length for a moment as he looked down at her. "You're a very special girl," he said softly. "And I reckon you've found yourself a pretty special guy too."

"I think so."

Jerry pulled her into his arms. "Well done, darling," he whispered. "May your love never grow cold."

Joanna looked up. "Kiss, Dad?"

Jerry did so as they looked into each other's eyes. "Thank you for consenting to be my daughter," he whispered. "It makes this all the more special to me."

"Oh, Dad!"

She clung to him.

In the meanwhile Emma was able to have another go at Simon. She wrapped herself round him.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, Simon darling. I've never seen her so happy. May you both go on being just as happy."

"D'you know? One of the big attractions to Joanna was you two? I just feel I'm going to marry into a perfect family."

Emma grinned up at him. "Flatterer but there is a lot of love around us and we're more than willing to share it with you, Simon."

"Don't I know it?" he whispered. "Thanks!"

Eventually they went indoors, Jerry to the kitchen, the rest to the drawing-room. Simon and Joanna's hands were locked.

Jerry emerged with four full champagne glasses on a tray. He handed them out.

"To Joanna and Simon," he said. "Long life and matching love. God bless you both."

"God bless!" echoed Emma.

Joanna and Simon turned to each other and touched glasses. "I love you," they both whispered which said it all as far as Jerry and Emma were concerned: no foreverness or love above all others, just a simple, fervent declaration.

Emma jerked her head at Jerry and they both unobtrusively left the room. Simon and Joanna's glasses went down on the nearest table and they clung to each other.

After both had whispered their love to each other and kissed at length Joanna looked up with mischief dancing in her eyes. "Are you going to keep your parents on tenterhooks like you have me?"

"No! Would your parents... ?"

"Of course they would, you poop."

She pulled him out to the kitchen.

"Si's going to ring his parents. OK?"

Emma and Jerry smiled their agreement. Simon rang and inevitably got Maggie.

"They've got a whole lot of people in for drinks," she said.

"Blow that," retorted Simon. "I need to speak to one of them now."

"Ah!" said Maggie and he could almost hear her smile. "Congratulations, dear. She's a winner. Give her my love. Hang on."

There was a long pause before Iain answered the phone. "Hello, Simon. What's the urgency?"

"Joanna and I are engaged."

There was a momentary pause and then a clearly delighted Iain came back. "Wonderful! Congratulations, Simon! She's a lovely girl. We all fell for her. Is she there?"

"Yes and thanks, Dad."

"Let me have a quick word. Joanna, he's a very lucky young man because you're a very special girl. We all fell in love with you over last weekend. Hold on for a minute. I'm going to find Helen."

He did not wait for a reply and Joanna heard the phone land on the table. There was a lot of background noise. She handed the phone back to Simon.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.