Replay - Cover

Replay

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

Chapter 8

Jerry and Emma rang their families that evening. Everyone was thrilled with the news. Not one of Emma's family made any remarks about the engagement being a bit quick after Will's death. They were all delighted for her, Greg going so far as to pull her leg.

"First of all it was a naval airman, now a soldier. What's the next one going to be? A submariner?"

Emma laughed. "I'm not planning on a next one," she replied.

Neither Emma nor Jerry was able to make any dates as they were apart. They both separately promised to get back to their relatives within the next few days. Zoë pulled Emma's leg for the rest of the evening with remarks such as, "If you're in lurve you ought to know each other's minds."

Emma growled at her which, of course, made Zoë giggle delightedly. She was thrilled that the two of them were going to choose an engagement ring the next day.

"Aren't you excited, Mum?"

"Yes, I am but it's raised a little niggle."

"What for Heaven's sake?"

"What to do with Daddy's wedding ring."

"Wear it on your right hand."

"That's what Jerry suggested."

"So?"

"I've never taken it off since Daddy put it there. Couldn't I wear them both on my wedding finger?"

"No, Mum darling," said Zoë gently. "You wear the ring of your current husband on that finger. I think it's sweet that you've gone on wearing Daddy's ring. A lot of people would have moved it across after their husband's funeral."

Emma could not help but smile. "Announcing they're on the market again."

Zoë nodded. "Yes, Mum, but you're not because you're going to replace it with your engagement ring which says, 'I'm taken.'"

"Should I move it across or Jerry?"

"You, Mum, you, you, you! It's yours and Daddy's ring and no one else's."

"I'm being silly, aren't I?"

"Yes, my darling Mum, but it's rather sweet. You must love Jerry very, very much to be in this state of mind."

"I do, Zoë. I really, really do. You know how much I loved Daddy but I can't believe that, even when we were just engaged, I was this dotty about him. I can't get Jerry out of my mind."

Zoë hugged her. "My little teen-aged mum," she whispered in Emma's ear. "I think it's magic and so will Jo. Mum darling, I'm so, so happy for you both."

Emma could not bear to do it that night but the following morning, with the help of some soap, she transferred her wedding ring and was delighted to find that it fitted perfectly. She looked at the pale mark it had left on her left hand.

"The love I had for you will never die, Will my darling," she said softly. In that moment she realised that Will could only ever be a memory and that he would never begrudge her her new love, a love that, as she had admitted to Zoë, she had never felt before. She shook her head in wonder.

She was slightly early at Zucchini's but that did not matter. Jerry was already there and kissed her warmly.

"I can't tell you how much I've missed you," he said.

"Same here. I had to force myself to concentrate on work this morning."

He noticed that she had moved her wedding ring, took her left hand and kissed the empty space. "Thank you for making room for me," he said gently.

She told him of her conversation with Zoë and her thoughts when she had moved the ring across that morning.

He squeezed her hand. "I'm a very, very lucky man to love you so much and have it returned in equal measure."

"Do you feel the same way about Bridie?"

He nodded. "I loved her very deeply and thought I would never replace her but I have, not her memory, but with a living love as strong if not stronger."

"Are we being unfaithful?"

"No, darling. You told me that Will wanted you to be happy and you carry your memory of him on your right hand and in your heart and your mind. Neither of us would have wished for Will's and Bridie's early deaths but we can be sure of their happiness for us both and, I don't doubt, their blessing."

Emma's smile was radiant. "Thank you, my darling. You've cleared away every last vestige of guilt, not that there was much, but taking off my wedding ring did give me a pang."

"I'll bet it did."

Their lunch was a largely silent affair but their eyes maintained almost non-stop communication: love and happiness which they were incapable of putting into words.

Afterwards Jerry led her to his favourite jewellers. He did not push her towards any particular gemstone or design. In the end she chose a ruby set in diamonds and amethysts. It was not cheap and she looked slightly apprehensively at him. His smile of happiness and approval wiped away all her worries. He put it on her finger and they kissed lovingly and at some length.

Thank you, my darling," she said as they walked back to their cars arm in arm. "I shall treasure this ring almost as much as I treasure you. And now I'm going to be bossy. You go home and collect your animals. I'm going to buy something with my new found wealth for dinner. Then I want you to come over to my house bringing your toothbrush and dressing gown. I'm not going to let you out of my sight until I have to go to work on Thursday morning."

"Oh Lord! Aren't I even going to be able to go to the loo on my own?"

Emma giggled. "I think you might be grown up enough to do that."

"Will Zoë be happy?"

"Completely. I suspect she'd be surprised if you didn't stay the night."

"In that case, yippee!" He swung her round and kissed her. She blushed in pleasure and some embarrassment.

Jerry did as he was told but added some drink to his overnight bag. He also picked up his diary. The dogs were wildly excited at going out twice in the day whining all the way in the car to Emma's. As he had hoped, she had beaten him home but only just. They both went in together.

Zoë came flying down the stairs crying, "Show me, Mum. Show me."

She saw Jerry. "Jerry!" she exclaimed delightedly gave him a hug and a kiss. "Now then, Mum, show me your ring."

She pulled Emma into the kitchen where the light was better. "Oh wow!" she breathed. "It's beautiful. Oh, Mum! You must be thrilled."

Emma nodded. She was incapable of speech. Zoë's joy for her was almost overwhelming.

Zoë turned back to Jerry, flung her arms round his neck and gave him a smacking kiss. "You are a very sweet, special man and I'm so glad and happy that you and Mum found each other." She kissed him again. "Hang on to him tight, Mum, or I'll pinch him from you," she added laughing. She let him go. "What's next?"

"Dog walking," replied Emma smiling at her, "with you on a lead by the look of it."

"And a muzzle," suggested Jerry, "I've almost been eaten alive."

Both girls laughed.

"Shall we go up above the ranges?" he asked.

"Yes, let's" exclaimed Emma. "You're going to come too, aren't you, Zoe?"

"Are you sure?"

"Of course," they both replied.

It was a thoroughly happy walk for all six of them. The dogs ran themselves into the ground unsuccessfully chasing rabbits back into their holes. The three humans never drew breath and Jerry was delighted to get to know Zoë better. He was very impressed with her. Emma, of course, never let go of his hand and their eyes frequently met. Zoë could not help but notice and was so thrilled for them that she never once teased them.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.