Replay - Cover

Replay

Copyright© 2012 by Kaffir

Chapter 6

The girls hurried back to the kitchen and started putting the tea things away. Emma watched Jerry drive out of the gate, took a deep breath, squared her shoulders and went back into the house.

"Well," she said, "that was fun. A nice walk this morning, a huge lunch and both my daughters at home together."

"Oh dear," said Zoë, "does that mean I go to bed without any supper?"

"No, sweety, we'll rustle up something for you."

"I like him," said Joanna.

"Good because in the really quite short time I've known him I've grown to like him a lot."

"Like he has you, Mum."

Emma looked at her and Joanna gave her a huge smile. "Go for it, Mum darling," she said. "You certainly have my blessing."

"You don't think it's too soon?"

"No, Mum. Daddy, if he's keeping an eye on you, will be thrilled. There may be some people who may think that it is but they won't dare to say so to your face. Blow them anyway! It's no business of theirs."

Emma moved to her and hugged her tightly. "Thank you, Jo-Jo."

Joanna laughed and hugged her back. "You must be in love, Mum. You haven't called me that for yonks."

Emma laughed too. "Getting a bit over-emotional in my old age."

"He's got two sons," said Zoë. "Have you any idea what their reaction is going to be?"

"Jerry says thrilled."

"Ah ha," grinned Joanna, "so you have declared your love to each other."

Emma blushed, nodded and looked down.

"So don't you think you ought to ring him and tell him you've got the all clear from us and put the poor man out of his misery?"

Emma looked questioningly at them both.

"Go on, Mum," said Zoë.

Emma bit her lip and then grabbed the telephone and fled upstairs to her bedroom. She rang him.

"Jerry," she said almost shyly. "It's me."

"Hello, me."

"Oh!" she exclaimed exasperatedly and then almost timorously. "Jerry, Joanna's given me her blessing too. She ... she said Will would be thrilled."

"Oh, darling! That's wonderful! I'm coming back over right now. Get the champagne glasses out. I've had a bottle sitting in the fridge for ages. Oh, Emma darling, I'm so happy."

"So am I, my darling. Don't hang about."

"Five minutes. 'Bye!"

Emma hugged herself with happiness and then ran back downstairs.

"He's coming over with champagne," she cried. "Glasses!"

Zoë ran to the dining room to collect them from the sideboard cupboard.

"They're a bit dusty," she said coming back.

"Oh, just give them a quick wipe with a tea towel."

Emma was jiggling about with excitement. The girls smiled happily at each other.

"Go to the loo, Mum, before you have an accident," Zoë teased.

Emma glared at her and then giggled.

"She's really got it bad, hasn't she?" Joanna whispered loudly to Zoë.

Emma growled. "I'm not staying in here with you two," she said and marched off to the front door.

The two girls hugged each other with delight.

"She's so happy," said Zoë quietly so as not to be overheard, "and it makes me really happy too."

"Me too. It's made the drive down here totally worthwhile. Let's take the glasses through to the drawing room."

"I can't tell you how grateful I am, Jo. Bless you."

Jerry had hardly got out of the car before Emma came running from the front door and launched herself at him. He just managed to brace himself in time. She wound her arms round his neck and her legs round his waist pressing her cheek against his.

"Oh, Jerry," she whimpered. "Oh, my darling Jerry. I love you and now I can show you. Oh, my love, I'm so happy I ... I c-can't t-tell you." Then tears of joy and excitement overcame her and her grip tightened.

Jerry held her to him almost as tightly. He was speechless with emotion. At length she loosened her hold and he set her down gently. He kissed her lips softly. "I love you too," he whispered. "So very much I love you and now we must go and thank your daughters."

"Yes, Jerry," she answered meekly taking his free hand.

"We're in the drawing room, Mum," called Joanna when she heard the front door shut.

The happiness of Emma and Jerry was reflected in the girls' faces. Their smiles stretched from ear to ear.

"Would you hold this for me, darling?" Jerry asked handing Emma the champagne. "I've got a lot of serious kissing to do."

Zoë was the nearest. He held out his arms and she went into them, her arms around his neck. "Thank you, Zoë," he said softly and kissed her gently. "What you've done yesterday and today for us is very special; like you."

She smiled up at him and then gave him a kiss back. "My pleasure," she smiled.

He released her and turned to Joanna. She came into his arms as Zoë had done. "Thank you for coming down at such short notice," he whispered. Her eyes widened. "You've made us both very, very happy." He kissed her as he had Zoë.

"You're not alone," she said and she too returned his kiss.

Emma watched with pride and love for all three but particularly for Jerry. She was proud of her daughters. They were both doing well but they were loving and caring of other people. Today though she was intensely grateful. They had granted her a new life and a new love. As for Jerry, it was hard to comprehend. In less than three weeks they had gone from hardly knowing each other to deep, deep love. Both were lonely after ideal marriages but the speed with which they had fallen for each other defied rationality. 'God moves in mysterious ways His wonders to perform' flashed into her mind. 'Yes, yes, yes!' she thought.

Jerry turned back to her with a happy, loving smile. "I'd better do something about the booze," he said taking the bottle from her. He opened it and poured handing the first two glasses to the girls.

"To Joanna and Zoë," he said, "who have let us have the happiness we craved."

They drank to that and then Joanna, with a slight catch in her voice, raised her glass. "To you both," she said. "May your love for each other never wane but grow stronger every day."

Emma and Jerry looked at each other. "Please, God," whispered Emma. Jerry nodded in agreement.

"Well, it's all right for you country bumpkins," said Joanna. "You can tipple away all evening but I've got a two hour drive."

She finished off her glass and went to Emma. "I'm so happy for you, Mum darling," she said and kissed her warmly. She turned to Jerry. "Keep her happy," she said.

"I promise."

"I don't doubt you." She took his head in her hands and kissed him warmly.

"'Bye, Zoë love, and thank you."

The two sisters smiled at each other and then Joanna had gone.

"I guess I ought to leave you two lovebirds alone for a bit," grinned Zoë.

"You don't have to do that, sweety," said Emma.

"Particularly as I've asked your mother to come and have a snack lunch with me on the way home from work tomorrow," added Jerry.

Zoë looked between the two of them. "Are you sure?"

"Of course we are," replied Emma. "You can help us polish off the champagne."

Zoë smiled happily. "I am going to have to make a start on my homework at some stage but I should have ample time while you're at work."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.