Hannegan's Cove
Chapter 3

Copyright© 2012 by Wes Boyd

Since going past his house would be out of the way, Randy took the more direct route back to Clark Construction, staying off Central Avenue but going up one of the paralleling side streets for the sake of avoiding the heavier traffic. It was time to be getting back, anyway. It was all right to play around with the Bobcat clearing his friends' and relatives' driveways, but there was real work for the machine to do, including cleaning off the parking lot at the company. That was something Coopshaw would have to do, or perhaps Jerry Evernham, the excavating supervisor; Randy would only get involved if they came up shorthanded, unlikely but not impossible.

The storm had passed, and there would be good light once the sun had gotten up a little. As Randy drove the Bobcat up the street, here and there he could see people out with snow blowers and other tools cleaning away the mess that the storm had left behind; several times he passed people working with blade equipped pickup trucks. Spearfish Lake was a northern town and people were prepared for snow.

As he ran the Bobcat up the street Randy happened to notice a woman in a long coat out with a snow shovel, chipping away at her driveway; it wasn't terribly long but plugged worse than most. That's going to take a while, he thought as he drove past, glancing up to see that the woman wasn't merely older, but downright old, with a deeply lined face. Holy crap, he thought, she's gonna kill herself trying to clean that mess out. Hell, he thought with a flick of his arms that made the Bobcat pinwheel in the middle of the street. Bob doesn't need this back that bad. With a touch of the foot pedals he rotated the loader bucket forward, dropped it down to street level and plowed into the intimidating mound of snow in the driveway.

Randy wasn't as good with the Bobcat as Bob or Jerry, but he could work efficiently with it, so clearing the driveway didn't take long, maybe five minutes. Soon, he had the job done, except for a rim of snow right up against the garage door – he didn't want to push into it to fill the bucket for fear of damaging the door. He idled the loader, opened the front door, and called out to the old woman, "If you want to open your garage door I'll clean that out, too."

"Thank you!" the woman called back, her thin voice barely audible over the Bobcat's engine. "I don't know how I could have ever got that done! What do I owe you?"

"Not a thing," Randy smiled. "I see where your sidewalk sits. Do you have any shrubbery or something I'd tear up if I ran the bucket up that and cleaned it out, too?"

"There's nothing, and I really appreciate it," she replied as she turned toward the garage, amazed that this miracle had come to pass. "Are you sure I don't owe you anything?"

"No, just my good deed for the day. You take care of yourself." He closed the door, spun the machine, and attacked the sidewalks. The bucket was indeed wider than the slot that had been cleaned out in past storms, so it took a few passes to finish the job well past where he guessed the lot lines might have been. By then, the woman's garage door was wide open, so he eased the Bobcat up to the door with the bucket rotated all the way forward, and used the back of it to drag the snow away from the door area. It took two passes to drag all the snow away, and a couple more to scoop it up and pile it in a pile to one side as the woman stood there watching. He gave her a little friendly wave, then spun the Bobcat again and headed on up the street.

At the most it could have taken him ten minutes if he'd been looking at his watch, and he hadn't been. Yeah, a good deed well done, he thought. He had no idea who the woman was, but that didn't matter. She could have quite literally killed herself trying to shovel all that crap, yet he hadn't even broken a sweat – his reward had been a few enjoyable minutes more of working with a machine he got to use all too rarely.

A few minutes later Randy had the agile little loader back to Clark Construction. The parking lot had been partly cleared by now, and Randy could see from the tracks and the work that had been done that it was the work of the big Galion road grader, probably Coopshaw's work, he figured. There was no sign of the grader now, but his father had mentioned it was needed at the plywood plant and that Bob was probably with it. The lights were on in the office, and from the vehicle sitting outside he figured that Jerry had arrived, so Randy settled for making a pass behind his truck where it sat on the street, then parked the Bobcat up by the office.

He was just climbing out as Jerry came out the door, dressed for winter as would be expected. "Figured you'd be out having your fun," he said as Randy clambered over the bucket arm and stepped to the ground.

"Nicole had to get to school, so I figured I'd better get it out of the way before you got your hands on it," Randy grinned.

"Well, no big deal," Jerry shook his head. "I just got here myself. Bob's got the Galion over at the plant, I figure I better go over and help him out a bit before we clean up around here."

"Might as well, we're not going to be doing much useful around here today," Randy nodded. "I've got guests in from out of town, I think I'll head back over to the house and be with them a bit before I come to work for real. I'll have my cell on if you need me."

"Good enough," Jerry nodded. "There ain't no one else here, lock up for me, would you?"


Under normal circumstances, the normal thing for Randy would have been to get in his truck and head out to the Spearfish Lake Café out at the corner of Central and the state road for breakfast, and he thought about doing it anyway. However, Crystal and Preach were early-to-bed, early-to-rise types, at least during their working season, and he had no idea if they'd be up yet or not. They weren't up when he left, which was late for them, but it was possible that they kept different hours in the off season – he just didn't know. So, the only thing to do was to head back to the house and see. Maybe they all could head out to the café for breakfast or something.

It only took a few minutes for him to put the Dakota back in the garage. The Chrysler was gone from the other side, which told him that Nicole had left for school. It would have been nice if she could have been around today, he thought, but it just wasn't going to happen – this was the only time that Crystal and Preach were going to be able to make it to Spearfish Lake, so everyone had to make the best of it. At least Myleigh would be around the rest of the week; classes didn't start up after the Christmas break at Weatherford until next Monday, and then she'd be gone for a couple evenings.

He headed on into the house to find the smell of fresh coffee. Nicole must have left the pot on, he thought; decaf or no, it would taste good, even though it hadn't been all that cold in the cab of the Bobcat. He peeled off his coat and hung it in the entry closet, and then headed into the kitchen to find Preach there, working on breakfast. "Didn't know how long you'd be," Preach said. "So I figured I'd get started. I can throw something on for you. Nicole left eggs, spuds, and sausage for us."

"Good deal, I can stand it," Randy said. "You like me to do that?"

"No, I'm started," Preach smiled. "It's not going to be like it's much work, anyway."

"If you want to do it I'm not going to fight with you over it," Randy shrugged, getting a cup from the cupboard and heading for the coffee pot. "Crystal up yet?"

"Oh, yeah, she's in the shower," Preach replied. "After the week we had and the drive up here last night, we decided to sleep in a bit. So how did the snow plowing go?"

"About like normal. It's something I have to do every few days, so I'm used to it. I cleaned out around your minivan with the Bobcat, but I didn't clean it off."

"I'll get to it later. It's going to seem strange to not have much to do this week."

"You know, I always thought you boatmen just took the winter to screw off," Randy said. "I mean, you're busy enough in season. But you sure don't manage to screw off in the winter."

"There are those who get to do it," Preach said, cracking another couple eggs into a bowl that already had some in it, obviously to make more scrambled eggs. "Dave, Mary, Scooter, and Jim are all down in Costa Rica with their surfboards again. It'd be nice to be able to make that trip sometime, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Al and Karin, well, they manage to find stuff to keep us on a short leash most of the winter."

Randy knew about that. Since Crystal was Al's daughter, it was pretty well understood around Canyon Tours that she'd be taking over the management of the company sooner or later, and Al was trying to ease Crystal and Preach into it. Crystal wasn't very happy about it; she much preferred being a trip leader in the summer months and having the winter months free to mess around elsewhere, doing fun things. But there were things that had to be done for the company off season, things like the outdoor shows, and it meant that Crystal and Preach got more than their fair share of them.

"Goes with the territory," Randy smiled. "I'm in pretty much the same boat."

"Yeah, but you've gotten used to it," Preach replied. "Crystal is still coming to the realization that when there's a show on the schedule she can't take off and go surfing instead."

"Yeah, but she got her chance to do some of it, a lot of it, even," Randy replied in resignation. It was still a sensitive subject with him, although less so than it once had been. Preach was probably aware of the problems that Randy had with it, but not to the degree that Crystal, Nicole, and a few others knew about it. "Me, one day I was away at college, and the next day I was busting my butt out on a big construction project for a school here. I'd liked to have been able to get out and screw around a bit, do some of the things that Crystal did, but I never got the chance."

"Reality came early and hard for you," Preach shook his head. "For Crystal, it involves breaking habits, and that can be harder. Ask me, I know."

Randy didn't need to ask about that. One of the things he liked about Preach was his philosophical look at things. He had the capability to stand back and put things in perspective, even those in his own life, with a calmness and wisdom that Randy admired. Though Preach rarely wore his religion on his sleeve, he had been a Baptist minister for several years and still technically was one, on an unpaid mission from Glen Hill Road Baptist Church in Chattanooga, Tennessee. For practical purposes, however, he'd mostly turned his back on his former life to follow Crystal into a new one. Randy often wondered if it had been less hard for Preach than it would have been to do it himself – something he only even fancifully considered in times of severe frustration. There were just too many good reasons for Randy to stay doing what he was doing. Yet, when the call had come to Preach, he cast aside his nets like Simon Peter and Andrew and followed a new path that was considerably different than the one he had worked toward and followed much of his life. Sometimes it scared Randy to think about it; it would not be easy to turn away from what he had come to believe was his destiny.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.