Stone Age Cabin - Cover

Stone Age Cabin

Copyright© 2012 by Wildnature

Chapter 4

I needed to do the evening chores, so I asked Kanala if she would like to come with me. She asked Kortan if he would watch over Tanala while she was gone. He said he would, and Kanala went to put her footings back on. For something to do, I put in an Andy McKee CD for Kortan's listening. I didn't want to shock him with television, just yet.

Kanala and I went outside. I grabbed the cooler from the Mule, and transferred my uneaten lunch, bottled water, and the bag of fish into the fridge in the mudroom. It wasn't quite dark out yet, so we both got in the Mule. I gave her a tour of the compound. We had just driven around the barn when Kanala gasped as we came in sight of the horses. I stopped the cart, and we got out next to Blaze's (a sorrel quarter horse stallion) paddock. Blaze was my favorite of all the horses my family and I have had throughout the years. I was very happy that I was allowed to have him. The regal horse came up to us, and nuzzled my chest. I gave him a good scratching. I stepped back, and Kanala was wide eyed, just staring at the two of us.

"Are you a spirit sent from the sky?" she gasped.

I shook my head negatively. I was afraid they would think something like that.

"No, Kanala, I'm just a man. I am just like your father, except I came from a different place. I am what your people will become, many, many seasons from now. I was sent here to teach your people a better life." I scratched around on Blaze some more. "This is my horse. His name is Blaze, and he is my friend and helper. I will show you tomorrow how I can ride his back and travel faster than walking. Then I will teach you to ride, as well."

I stepped back a bit, and gestured for Kanala to get closer. I gently clasped Kanala's hand, and slowly brought it up and placed it on the horse's head. You could see the excitement in her eyes. I cautioned her not make any sudden movements. All women love horses ... well, almost all.

After returning to the Mule, we continued our ride around the livestock stock pens, with me telling her the names of each animal and their use. You could tell she really liked Lady; my blue roan quarter horse mare. Kanala laughed at the donkeys. When seeing Juggs and with me explaining what a milch cow is; she was looking forward to trying some milk from a cow.

I parked the ATV in the shop, and showed Kanala the butchering room. I blew her mind away with the walk-in freezer, and packages of frozen beef. She thought it was wonderful that you wouldn't have to dry the meat, and that it would still last for so long. The ice machine left Kanala speechless.

We locked the shop, and I could hear the dogs 'talking' to me. Kanala followed me into the barn. I reminded her that the dogs would not hurt her. Kanala stood behind me pretty closely when I let the pooches out of their jail. They didn't even stop to sniff us, but raced outside to tinkle. I had left them in a little longer than I normally did.

We made sure all the barn animals had food and water, and Kanala got a glimpse of Mama, the cat. I had to explain to her what Mama's purpose was, and that she was wild and not a pet, like the other animals. Denali and Mally made an appearance as Kanala was bent over looking at Mama, as she lay between a couple bags of feed. Denali did something that made me damned jealous. He stuck his nose right in Kanala's crotch causing Kanala let out a screech, and making Mama sputter and hiss. I popped Denali on his nose, telling him 'no.' I swore the little shit was grinning at me. I had to help Kanala climb back down the ladder from the loft. Holy shit, she was fast!

Denali knew he was in trouble and inched up to us, groveling low to the ground. I gently pulled Kanala down to her knees, beside me. Denali scooted up to us, and put his head in my lap. I loved up on him a bit, with Kanala joining in after she got calmed down. I'll be damned if Mally didn't crawl up the same way, and lay her head on Kanala's lap. Kanala just beamed with pride, and loved poor Mally to pieces. Lastly, I showed Kanala the chicken coop, and the chicks under the heating lamps in their little enclosure. She at least had a reference to birds and eggs.

The dogs followed us out of the barn and back to the cabin. It was completely dark by now, and Kanala had yawned a couple times, letting me know it was close to bed time. I opened the door, letting the dogs and Kanala go in before me, as I usually do. I heard a half shout from Kortan. Oops! I should have introduced the dogs a little better than that. When I could see Kortan, he was sitting up on top of the back of the sofa. Kanala was kneeling between the two dogs, petting them, and telling her father the same thing I told her about the dogs not harming him.

I walked around the couch, "I am sorry, Kortan. I forgot, completely, and let the dogs in before warning you. Kortan, these are my dogs, Denali and Mally," I said, pointing to each one.

Kortan slowly climbed down from the back of the couch, and sat correctly. Mally, followed by Denali, walked up to Kortan and put their heads on each knee, giving Kortan 'the puppy eye.' Kortan tentatively reached out, and gently placed a hand on each dog. When each one just stayed still, he began to stroke each one, slowly, as a smile grew across his face. I checked both of the stoves, adding a little wood to each while Kortan made friends with my dogs.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.