Stone Age Cabin - Cover

Stone Age Cabin

Copyright© 2012 by Wildnature

Chapter 3

For the next three weeks I took care of the animals, and built a ten foot high electric fence for the new pasture and the garden. A ten foot by ten foot smoke house and an outdoor kitchen and dining area were constructed. The days were getting warmer, and the sun staying out later and later.

I had twenty little chicks running around in the coop. I had cabbage, lettuce, potato, onions, and beets in the ground. More crops were only waiting for the right time and temperature, to be sown.

After using native rock to make walking path landings, and the ramp down to the river level; I used the sand and gravel for making the ramp's concrete retaining walls. The ramp was 6 feet wide and had a welded pipe gate with an electrified fence. A solar charger and a set of batteries provided the pain. I now felt my home was secure.

I was ready to explore.


The Mule was packed with supplies and gear, so I loaded up Mally and Denali in the backseat, and got a move on.

After closing the gate on the ramp, I made sure it still zapped whatever touched it, painfully. Trust me, it worked. I just wished this gate had a remote control opener, like the one for the compound. We were now in uncharted territory. If the dogs could, they would have had their head out the windows with their snouts in the breeze.

We were creeping along since I didn't know the terrain, and I didn't want to get stranded. Cautiously, we made our way across the plain. We were nearing the band of trees by the river, when an enormous (at least to me) megaloceros casually stepped out into the clearing. I slammed on the breaks, causing the dogs to tumble into the back of my seat, as I stared at the majestic site. I was tempted to shoot the thing; but I didn't need the meat, nor did I want the work of processing the thing.

I could only watch the megaloceros graze for so long before I got bored. The beast's casual behavior let me hope that there weren't any large predators close by. We skirted the tree line looking for a way in, for about half a mile, 'till we found a break in the thick brush. I knew that deeper in the wood, the undergrowth would be less dense than at the outer edge.

Immediately, as we went under the canopy of old trees, the temperature dropped noticeably. We were able to weave our way through the trees about a quarter of a mile before getting to the river.

I stopped about fifteen feet from the river. I just sat still and listened. No ominous sounds were heard by the dogs or by me. Scanning the area thoroughly, I grabbed the M1A making sure a round was chambered and safety off before stepping out of the Mule.

The dog's tails were wagging like crazy, but I was being cautious. Some might say too cautious, but 'too cautious' wasn't in my vocabulary. I left the dogs in the Mule's cage, and climbed up to stand on its top, to make a visual scout with the binoculars. The river was thirty to thirty-five yards across. Swollen with the spring melt, it wasn't 'raging', by any means; but it was moving at a fast and steady clip.

Ten minutes had passed without any surprises during my observation, so I climbed back down and let the dogs out. Mally made it about ten feet before squatting to pee; and Denali barely made it another ten feet, to the closest tree.

I had put the dog's old shock collars on them before we'd left, to let them know not to get very far from me. I had trained them young with the shock collars, teaching them that if they got too far from me they would get zapped. They learned over time to distinguish between having them on or off, and modified their behavior accordingly.

We explored the immediate surroundings. Finding nothing noteworthy, we headed back to the Mule. I pulled out the fishing pole I had brought along. I tied a spinner bait to it, and let fly. My third cast was struck halfway back to shore. I fought the fish for five minutes or so, letting me know it was of a decent size. I was about to reach down and pick up the fish, when I realized it had teeth, lots of teeth! Trying to put on gloves while holding a fishing pole and kicking dogs away, isn't easy. I finally got the hook out of the fish's mouth using my multi-tool. The fish had the coloring and stripes of a white bass but teeth like a walleye. Weird! Using the handy little ruler on my multi-tool, the fish measured out to fifteen inches; and, at a guess, it was around four pounds. As long as it wasn't full of bones, the fillets should be of a good size. Another hour of fishing landed me another four wally-bass (my name for them). I would have to bring a bigger pole with heavier line next time, as twice I caught a bite, and the line was snapped right off. I'll have to bring some chicken livers next time and see what's lurking on the bottom. I filleted the fish and put them on ice in a reseal-able bag, alongside my lunch in the cooler.


I had just closed the 'door' after loading the dogs and the fish into the Mule; when I heard a man start screaming, with a woman joining right in. It sounded pretty close, from downstream. The M1A was still slung over my shoulder as I responded to the call for help, as it was. I sprinted my way towards the screams.

I was running flat out downstream when I heard a yip followed by a growl. I broke through some brush, and tried to skid to a halt while bringing up my rifle. I lost my footing and ended up sliding a couple feet on my ass.

As my feet were sliding out from under me and I was using my butt as a brake; I 'calmly' assessed the situation. I had burst out of the brush directly behind a perfect example of a dire wolf. In front of the pooch, was a gray haired man dressed in animal furs. He was down on one knee jabbing a spear at the wolf, while a woman with dark brown hair also in furs, cowered behind him clutching a child to her chest.

The wolf spun around to confront me and my feet first entrance. I was holding the gun like a fucking canoe paddle with the butt resting on the ground by my leg. Just as I stopped sliding, the wolf lunged at me. His mouth was open and it was full of sharp yellow teeth. I did the only thing I could.

I shifted the barrel in the huge wolf's direction and pulled the trigger...

about five times.

I came back to reality, looking down into the empty eyes of the wolf's head between my legs. The couple were staring at me, wide eyed, mouths open. I couldn't help it. I stared right back.

Then I let out a big gust of air that I had been holding. The man shook himself a bit, turned awkwardly, and spoke to the woman.

It was weird. What I heard as he starting speaking, was gibberish. Then like surround sound going off, I heard the man's voice split into two voices. Now I could understand what they were saying.

The woman answered, "I am fine Father."

The man turned back to me and nodded his head

as he said, "Thank you, stranger."

I smiled at the man and attempted to answer his with a 'you're welcome' but, my voice broke like a pubescent boy. I knew I had to be blushing, so I coughed to cover myself.

I answered, "Your welcome," in his own language.

Those Dremin aliens were a caution with the modifications they'd made on me.

The man was using his spear trying to help himself stand up. He didn't look that old. I hopped up really quickly, and gave myself a good check. Actually, I was checking to make sure I hadn't pissed myself. I walked over to the man in as non-threatening a manner as possible, and held out my hand to help him up. He grasped my hand with his. I happened to glance behind him and saw that his leg, resting behind him, was bloody. I stopped him before he could attempt to get up.

"Lie back on the ground and let me check your leg. I am a healer."

He eyed me cautiously and I heard the woman gasp next to me. He nodded his head and gingerly swung the damaged leg out in front of him. I pulled my knife out of its sheath. This time they both gasped at the shiny Bowie knife. I cut the pant leg of his leather trousers up to his knee as gently and straight as possible. There were about half a dozen punctures or tears in his flesh on the back of his calf. I had him roll over on his stomach, to allow me to look at the wounds better. There was nothing a few stitches wouldn't cure, but there would be a huge chance of infection. I had just realized a problem; here I am a medic with no supplies. I took off my jacket and ripped the sleeve off my flannel shirt and used it to wrap the man's leg. I patted him and told him to roll back over.

"Nothing, too severe; I will fix you up, back at my home," I told him.

The woman holding the child laid her hand on my arm and said, "Can you help my daughter as well. We were traveling to a village to the north that has a healer." I hadn't paid too much attention to the child.

I asked the woman to lay the child on the ground. After she had, I felt the child's forehead and felt a warm fever. I stroked the girls head and she barely stirred, I started checking her over and head, neck, arms. I listened as best I could to her chest and heard clear lungs. I poked her abdomen in various places without reaction. I didn't find anything till I got to her left leg and found red streaks of infection. On the bottom of her foot was a read swollen bulge of infected tissue. This little girl need some help, and soon.

"I need to take your daughter to my home. I will be right back. Stay here, and don't run when you hear strange sounds!"

I grabbed my rifle and ran back to the Mule.

Once back at the ATV, I had the dogs crowd up front with me. Then I drove back to pick up my new patients.

Once I knew I was close to the family, I yelled out who I was, and said not to be afraid. I pulled around the brush pile to see the woman standing in front of me holding the spear and looking scared shitless. I stopped and just sat there letting her see it was me. Once she realized it was me her relaxation was short lived when she saw the dogs sitting next to me looking very wolf like. Seeing her panic, I help up my hands placatingly.

"These are my pets, my friends. They will not harm you. I promise."

She nodded once and turned back to her family. The man was holding the child in his lap, protectively. I told the dogs to stay, and climbed out of the Mule. I opened the back, and beckoned the woman over. She turned and picked up the child. Steeling her resolve, she walked over to me. I reached in and petted the dogs, telling them to calm down. It was kind of disconcerting that my brain knew to switch back to English when needed.

"They will not harm you or yours," I told her.

She cautiously sat on the seat keeping the child turned as far from the dogs as possible. Mally couldn't help herself, and stuck her head over the seat. She slurped the woman across the cheek. The lady gave a little squeak, but that was all. Once I saw she was settled, I turned back to the man. I helped him stand, and aided him in hobbling over to the Mule. The man was finally settled onto the seat, so I closed up and climbed into the driver's seat. I was kind of crowded with the dogs and my gun, but that couldn't be helped.

I turned back to them and said, "I will be as gentle as possible, but we need to hurry."

I heard a few exclamations, gasps, and grunts from the back on our return journey to the compound; but I didn't concern myself about it. I approached the electrified gate at the ramp, and was slowing down to stop when the gates starting opening by themselves. Hot damn! I had just gotten a bonus from the aliens! I did stop to make sure the gates closed. I looked at the remote on the keys of the Mule, and saw a fourth button had been added to it. The gates did close by themselves, so I drove the cart a little faster back to the compound. I hit the button on the remote, and the west gate swung open as we neared. There was some nervous chatter when we went through the gate, but I ignored it.

I pulled up to the front of the cabin, and climbed out quickly, before the dogs went ape shit. I removed their shock collars, and they took off for a couple laps around the yard. Telling my guests I would be right back, I ran and opened up the house. I locked my rifle up in the gun cabinet. I stripped off my boots and clothes and put on a pair of clean sweats, and a t-shirt. I slipped my feet into a pair of house shoes. I grabbed a sheet and blanket from the linen closet and draped the sheet over the couch.

I ran back outside, called the dogs, and put them in their kennel in the barn. I opened both back doors and helped the man up onto the porch and into a lawn chair. The woman had followed us up to the porch. After getting the man settled, I led her into the cabin towards the back mudroom with the raised tub.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.