Deputy Porter
Chapter 216

Copyright© 2012 by carniegirl

So I mashed in the Colonel's run. I put in 15pounds of corn and all the stalks I had left after I ground them. Then I added the yeast and let it begin to work off. For two weeks I made myself seen around town. I talked to a few people I knew and who could help me, if I decided to run for Sheriff if couldn't hurt to have their advice. The advice was all the same, try to turn your negatives into positives, admit to everything, and make a joke of it.

The Colonel Martin Mash was working and it had a couple of more days, when Kara called. "Sylvia I would like to see you," she said.

"I don't think that would be a good idea. You see Kara I was about to get involved with you and you dumped on me. So I'm clear of you now, and I think I want to keep it that way."

"Okay, if you change your mind come to the mall at 9AM any morning, I will be there most any time. I'll try to explain it, but if you aren't interested, you aren't interested." she said.

"I'll think about it, and if I'm there tomorrow, you get your shot. If not, I just decided not to try again." I said it pretty sure I would not be at the mall the next morning.

"That's fair enough, I can't ask for more than that," she said.

I spent the evening at the pub. I mentioned Kara's call to The Brit. "You aren't going to meet her are you?" he asked.

"I'm thinking about it. She might have a reasonable explanation," I said.

"She is going to sell you ten pounds of bullshit, in a five pound wrapper," The Brit said.

"Maybe she has an explanation," Jeremy said.

"Jeeze Jeremy, you are just as foolish as Sylvia. Kara is a bitch, you just want her to be harmless, because she is beautify. Yes, I admit she is beautiful." The Brit said.

"Maybe I can talk her into doing it with all of us," I said.

"From what Allen said you don't need to talk her into anything. You just need to have enough cash." Jeremy said.

"So she admitted she was in the sex for money trade. She didn't seem to be involved for any reason other than the money. I mean she doesn't act like a junkie or anything."

"I think she is probably a little like she seems, but more full of shit," Jeremy said. "And I never met her."

"That's probably true, but I don't know what her bullshit story is. If I meet her at the mall, she can't pull anything on me. If I'm at least a little careful."I admitted.

"Carry the big revolver and the derringer," The Brit said.

"Yeah, and lots of untraceable shanks," I agreed.

"Remember you are thinking about running for sheriff. You do not need to get involved in anything shaky. The Brit said.

"Are you really going to run for Sheriff," Jeremy asked.

"I'm pretty close to making a decision," I admitted. At the pub I drank one dark beer and five cups of black coffee. I was definitely not drunk but I was jittery as hell. I saw the blue lights in my rear view mirror, so I pulled over.

"Well hello deputy," I said to one of the new deputies. "What can I do for you?"

"Got a question for you Miss Porter, if you run for sheriff and lose, what you going to do after?" he asked.

"I don't know, what should I do?" I asked.

"Leave Warren County. The word is to make your life miserable between now and after the election." he said.

"I haven't even filed for the election yet," I said.

"I know, but you been asking around about it. People say you are going to run, but that you don't have a chance, too many skeletons in the closet.

Yeah, I got some skeletons, but don't we all?" I asked. "At least anyone I would want to be Sheriff would have a few.

"Well I'm just saying, if you run and lose, this might not be the best place for you," he suggested.

"And what if I win. What do you think I'd going to do to those who threaten me?" I asked.

"I'm not threatening you Sylvia, I just warning you." he said.

"Well, we will just have to see how bad the good guys are." I replied.

I drove home trying to figure out what all was happening. I had the Sheriff's deputies warning me that someone was out to fuck me up. I had a black hooker who seemed to have problems trying to apologize for being a bitch, and I was in the process of closing down and disposing of my still and liquor business. I had gone from boring to overload in a couple of weeks. I loved my life at times like that. There would be time for the peaceful life, when I reached sixty.

And that didn't even take into consideration my strange connection to a mercenary group. I had no idea how they would play into things. The spring and summer were going to prove interesting in the one hitching post towns around County Seat.

I awoke at five and rode the bike through the mountain community of County Seat and to the plaza which sat on the road that connected the Dobson road to the interstate highway. It was a nice long two hour ride and it always wore me out. It was only 7:30 am when I rode around the gate which blocked cars from entering the compound.

How could that be you ask, well the drive way had a three foot ditch on each side of the cattle gate over it. Then there was the solid metal gate that was anchored in lots of reinforced concrete. So the bike crossing was a single 2 x 10 across that three foot deep and 3 foot wide trench. It wouldn't support a car but it would support me and the 6 speed bike.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.