Deputy Porter - Cover

Deputy Porter

Copyright© 2012 by carniegirl

Chapter 82

Shit, I thought. Hugo was back and I hadn't figured out what to do with the gym bag. There were two storage building in the small compound. Neither was very large or secure at all. One held the outboard motor and other mechanized tools. Like the portable generator, lawn mower, weed eater and other things of the same sort.

The other building held shovel and rakes also the fishing rods. Those were most likely owned by Hugo. I had no idea if there were any state fishing rods or not. There was a state owned big game rifle available. It was kept in a metal cabinet under lock and key. It was also probably the ugliest modern rifle I had ever seen. It was a Savage 110. When Hugo showed it to me, he swore that it was deadly accurate. One thing I knew for sure a 90% accurate weapon, would kill you just as dead as a sniper rifle. It just might take two shot instead of one. So if you had the extra second, then 90% was fine. And since Hugo's assessment was based on deer, who weren't shooting back, I decided it was about 90% accurate.

All this rambling is to say there was no where in the compound, I felt the bug out bag would be safe. I probably should have just left it at the UPS store. I wanted it close enough to get to quick in case the Green Machine found me. So at the moment it was behind the seat of my truck. Well it was behind the seat of the state truck That made it close enough, actually it was too close.

I fell asleep Sunday night with that bag on my mind. I woke up Monday with it still on my mind. I decided to stop obsessing about it, and just transfer everything into a tool box, then put a lock on it and leave it in the truck. That would last only until I found a place to store it. One that met all my requirements. Even that would have to wait Hugo wanted to check on a lead he got over the weekend.

"So someone told me there was a lot of activity out in the Dismal," he said.

"The Dismal?" I asked.

"Yeah the Great Dismal Swamp. It a mass of standing water a few inches deep in some places and several feet in others. The Waterway cuts through it, but it is also several thousand acres of nothing but rotting vegetation. There is enough dry land to do a lot of things like grow pot. There are also a few things in there that can be poached like a few gators and some bears.

"I had no idea we had gators here," I said.

"Yeah they are coming back. We have to wrestle one every now and then. I'll show you how, if we get a chance." Hugo said.

"So what do you really think is happening?" I asked.

"Kid who told me lives on an access road to the swamp. Nothing at the end of it but a boat ramp and parking lot. According to the kid cars are going down it, but they ain't got no trailers for boats. So I have no idea what is going on, but we need to go in and see." Hugo said.

"I know I'm not very experienced but why don't we do a stakeout and see where they go. If we go tramping through a swamp odds are we are not going to find them," I said.

"So what do you think about we go into the parking lot and set up a camera. See if there is anything to investigate?" he said, in that talking to an idiot child voice.

"So that's what you did over the weekend?" I asked.

"Yep, now we are going to go take a look at the camera. It is time lapse for 24hours starting Saturday at noon till Sunday at noon. I can't be sure we are going to have anything, but if not we will reset it and get the hell out," Hugo said.

"Sounds good to me. So tell me Hugo what do you think they are doing in there," I asked.

"I got no idea. I want you to drive since your truck can take the swamp better than this prissy bronco," He said.

"No problem how long will it take?" I asked.

"Three hours up there probably. Why you got a date?" he asked.

"No date, but before we leave would you help me unload a bike from the truck?" I had checked before I entered the office. The trike was still under the plastic tarp in the rear of the truck.

"Sure, I'll give you a hand with it. After that we can stop at the diner at the cross roads for breakfast. You can buy, since I am helping you out here."

"Come on Hugo, unloading that trike is two minutes and very little work. I mostly need you to guide it to the ground," I said,

"Nothing is ever as easy as people think it will be," Hugo informed me and of course he was right. The trike had shifted during the drive from the bike shop. It had jammed a little but it just took a little muscle to free it.

Then the bitch was heavy as hell so it was hard to lower it to the ground without a bump. So we got the bump which caused Hugo to fall and twist his ankle. That cause me to ask him every ten minutes, if he needed to go to the emergency room.

"I'm just fine lets get on down the road," he said.

So I pushed the trike to the rear of the shed, where we stored the outboard motor and other power tool. I replaced the tarp before we headed off to breakfast. Hugo limped noticeably as he walked to the truck. "Hugo you really should have someone look at that ankle."

"I'm fine. I know when a bone is broke and when it is just a sprain," he said.

"Listen you macho ass, if you are hurt and have complications, it will be my ass for not forcing you to go to the Emergency Room. Now tell me you are okay or we are going to the ER."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.