Deputy Porter - Cover

Deputy Porter

Copyright© 2012 by carniegirl

Chapter 73

I returned the call to Simpson. "Well good afternoon Chief Deputy," I said into the phone. "I couldn't find the news story on TV. Was I wearing clothes?"

"Actually it was just the remains of a building on the Greene Valley Vineyard grounds in the picture. They did mention your name, which isn't all that good for you. Undercover cops are probably better off going anonymous," he said.

"Well I didn't give them my name," I replied.

"I know some state cop on the scene did. He had your real name and where you are from even," Simpson said.

"Well that is a pure D bitch," I said. My mind was racing. Would the Greens have the connections to order a hit on me, and would they be advised by their lawyer to do so. I know lawyer aren't supposed to do that kind of shit, but it is my opinion that lawyers who represent those kinds of people have to problem adding one more body to the list.

"Well," Simpson said. "We have to figure out what we are going to do about it."

"What do you mean what we are going to do about it. We don't do anything, but rattle the cage of any thug who comes to town," I said.

"Well that will work for the next couple of weeks, while you are still on the state payroll and recovering, but what happens when I have to send you back out to work. That is turning the streets into a potential shooting gallery. I'm not about to do that, even more important the Sheriff isn't about to do it."

"There goes his chances of reelection," I said.

"What do you mean?" Simpson said.

"What do you think the press will make of the Sheriff more or less running the hero cop out of town on a rail. I don't think the people of this county will want to vote for him. Country folks like their Sheriff to have a some balls," I said. I had no idea if it were true or not. It was just the only weapon I had with which to fight back.

"Then there is that little matter of the deal we struck with the State for the temporary duty. It specifically stated that when my salary ended with the state my county salary kick in with no loss of pay. Benefits were also seamless in the arrangement. I expect that is a contract the state will expect to be held up." It would look bad on the governor, if I had to go to court for it." I felt like I had nothing to lose. They were looking for a way to throw me under the bus.

"Silvia it isn't safe for you, or for the people around you. You know we make the material witnesses against a criminal enterprise this large disappear. It's the only way we can protect you. We need to enroll you in the witness protection program at least until you testify." Simpson said.

"Bullshit, It isn't my testimony that is going to sink them." I said.

"Sweetie, I talked to the agent in charge of the case with the state attorney general. The whole thing is a house of cards and Barry is the foundation. You are the key to making him open up. Without you Barry might not testify the way they want."

"Simpson, I am not laying down for this," I said.

"Then you are most likely going to die," he said.

"It won't be the first time, I was in that position," I said. "Not even the only time recently."

"Well I explained our position to you, and the attorney general's office has to explain theirs later. I was just giving you a heads up. Don't blame the messenger. They never should have let you come back. The whole handling of the arrest was a cluster fuck. They had no advanced warning they rode in there like the calvary and arrested everybody before the A.G. was ready. The A. G. has been scrambling all morning getting warrants out to them. They tell me it's a mad house. So you might have to wait a day or so, but if I have to, I'm to put you in jail to keep you safe. Nobody really knows where you live, so I think you are safe in the apartment, if you stay off the streets, wear your vest and carry you gun, if you do go out."

"This sucks," I said hanging up. As I always say, no good deed goes unpunished. This is the reward I get for doing the right thing.

I had to have food in the house, if I was going to be stuck inside it. I sure as hell wasn't going to order delivery. So I had to go to the store and do it before dark. I should have taken a bath but I didn't have time and the apartment had a slight chill. I pulled on my running flannels over my gym satin like shorts. Then I pulled the light weight running sweat shirt on over my Kevlar Vest under which I a thin tee shirt. Over them both I wore the upside down shoulder rig, and the colt revolver.

Instead of my running shoes I pulled on my combat boots from my Air Force days. Inside the right boot I slipped the box opener. It wasn't much of a back up weapon, but it was all I had, if I couldn't get the colt in play. I filled a pocket of my parka with .38special rounds and my debit card, then I went to the store.

I was even more paranoid than usual. I parked in the middle of several cars. When usually I would park away from everybody so that I had some room to load the groceries. When I got inside the store, I grabbed a cart and rolled away from everyone.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.