Deputy Porter - Cover

Deputy Porter

Copyright© 2012 by carniegirl

Chapter 45

On the way home Angel stopped at the drug store for a prescription of Vicodin. I was expecting significant pain for a while longer. That expectation was based on the doctors warnings. "Take it easy and don't go back to work before you are releases, You are going to have some pain for a while."

I was already having some pain when I moved, If it got worse without the hospitals big time drugs, I was going to be in a fix. I had Angel make one more stop on the way home. She went through the drive through window at McDonalds. I had not eaten a Big Mac and fries since the one I had on my first night back in the USA. I offered to buy her one but she refused. Smart girl, I thought.

She got me home at a little past noon. I didn't figure I wouldn't get away from the press too long. Someone, who knew where I lived, was bound to give me up. It was just a matter of time before I had reporters everywhere. I needed to get ready for them. I sat down and wrote a statement. I tried to tell only what could be found in the record.

I hoped no one found me at all. If I had to make the statement, I wanted to make it only once. They found my cell phone first. I refused to answer any calls from anyone I didn't already have in the phone. There weren't many number in that phone either.

Butch's number came up once, but I was groggy from my nap. I disconnected him by mistake. I didn't return the call. Finally it was the Chief Deputy's call I answered. "Yes Chief Deputy." I said into the phone. I had a feeling the Sheriff wanted to campaign a little.

"The Sheriff wants to have a press conference tomorrow to make the arrest public. He though you might like to be there." Webster said.

"No thanks, I'm still in some pain," I said.

"You could do yourself some good," he said.

"And the Sheriff," I said.

"That goes without saying," Webster said the sarcastic smile was in his voice.

"I think I'll just pass, but tell him that I would love to if I felt better." I said.

"Who said you weren't going to play the game," Webster suggested.

"I don't know. I never promised anything more than a full days work for a full days pay." I expounded.

"The SBI wants a statement you can't put them off for long," he said.

"God how my times do I have to tell that same old story?" I asked.

"Till they are satisfied," he said. "Oh yeah, they are going to send Mission to interview you."

"Oh god, don't they ever change their tactics. I get the good cop bad SBI agent do I?" I asked.

"In your version who is the bad one, Mission?" Webster asked.

"Yeah she didn't come say how sorry she was, You know holding my hand kind of thing." I said.

"Even that would be easier, if you face the press. It would help you to have if all out there." Webster was still trying to get me to stand beside the Sheriff. While he did his I saved this little lady's life. I didn't know how he could spin it, so he came out the hero, but I was sure he would manage. I just didn't intend to help him or to dispute his version. I planned to ignore it.

I slept most of the after noon. When dinner time came I ate a frozen dinner from my freezer. Then I walked through the lounge. I stopped and had a cup of coffee with Sarah before I went back to bed. Monk hadn't been there, so there was no reason for me to stay.

Reynolds called me at home that same night. "Did you ever get that off duty pistol?" he asked. I had mention at the hospital that I needed something small and light to protect myself...

"Not yet did you find me something," I asked.

"My son in law has a Colt Detective Special. It's about twenty years old, so it's got some wear on it. He want's $300 for it." Reynolds said.

"I'm going to look it up on the net, before I make him an offer, Reynolds you might tell him I never negotiate," I said.

"Well I didn't say I thought it was a fair price and I didn't say it wasn't. I told him I'd tell you about it. I know we have your service weapon in the evidence locker. I know you're looking thats all."

"Tell you what, have him meet me in the station's parking lot tomorrow. He can pick the time," I said.

"Hold on he is here," Reynolds said. I waited for him to come back to the phone. He finally did come back about five minutes later. "He said he could meet you anytime after 3:30 tomorrow."

"Okay then tell your son in law to make it four. I'm not up to the range yet, so if you have shot it, I will believe what you say." I said to Reynolds.

"I'd carry it to a close up gun fight," Reynolds said.

"That good enough for me." I said. I knew it was a snub nosed revolver and I didn't expect it to be accurate at 25 yards. I did expect it to shoot within an inch of the sights at ten yards. That was a standard that Reynolds would expect as well.

I finally fell into bed at 10pm and just about fell asleep before I even stretched out. Stretching out was a bit of a chore since the accident, as I thought of it. There was no sense being a drama queen, I told myself. I awoke at 7AM. It must have had something to do with being home.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.