Deputy Porter - Cover

Deputy Porter

Copyright© 2012 by carniegirl

Chapter 27

The state cable news network called me at the motel but on my cell phone. It wasn't the man from the crash, it was a chick who claimed to be his producer. It looked to me as though they were trying to be a real news agency.

"Hi there, you are Deputy Sylvia Porter?" she asked.

"I am. Who might you be?" I asked. That's when I found out about the producer thing, "So what can I do for you Miss Producer." I didn't even bother to file her name into my short term memory. I didn't expect her to be there that long."

"Robert would like to say thank you and do a human interest piece on you," she suggested.

That left me between a rock and a hard place. The Sheriff wanted the publicity for the department and his own re-election plans. I wanted nothing to do with it. The more video exposure I got the more likely the chances of me being recognized from the party in Mountain Home. I had already done a rational assessment of the danger and it went like this. At the time Simon explained that I didn't have to be worry about being recognized because Mountain Home resort was over a hundred miles from the county seat. Also that it was a party for the festival goers, who were mostly from way out of the area. They would have no access to the local news network, I reasoned.

Since the car hadn't blown and there was no video of it anyway, it would never make a national story. So odds of it being seen by the party goers was remote. I did plan to do as much as possible to keep even that remote chance from being a disaster.

"There is no human interest story here. As far as meeting on camera for a reunion with your reporter, that's fine," I agreed. "I do have some special request. I would like to be in uniform with a patrol car in the background, when we meet. The department can always use the publicity." Which will also help distract the eyes of the viewer, I thought.

I didn't think I could get the Chief Deputy to refuse me permission to do the interview, since the Sheriff was a publicity whore, so I went immediately to the station to have a talk with him. I wanted to at least lessen the impact of the interview.

"Chief Deputy, I know you want me to do the interview, but how will it effect my safety later. I mean not too many people know me as the only female deputy in Warren county, but if I do this interview a lot more will know me. If Sergeant Michaels sends me in to buy drugs or guns, I might be recognized. It could put me in danger," I suggested.

"You do have a point, but refusing the interview is not an option. So what do you suggest?" he asked.

"If we do the interview outside, I can wear my knit cap over my ears and the official cap over that. If I also wear dark glasses and explain to the reporter it should make it almost impossible to recognize me from the interview." I hoped that he bought it. Even though the odds of being recognized by anyone from my past was nil, I didn't want to take any chances.

"I think that sounds prudent. If you explain it to that reporter guy, he should understand." That's the way we left it.

It was a good thing since I had already agreed to the interview. It was set for the next morning at 10AM, in the motor pool parking lot. That gave me a chance to work the car in. The Sheriff would love it and it was a way for me to work in the knit cap. The cap would seem to be keeping my ears warm while in fact it was there to hide the fact that I was bald.

"So Robert you look a lot better than the last time I saw you?" I said.

"Thank you Deputy Porter, I feel a lot better pain wise, and outlook as well. So I understand you had some special requests?" he asked.

"Not many just that we do it here with the patrol car in the back ground. I also want to keep my sunglasses on. I might have to make an undercover drug or gun buy someday soon. I would prefer not being recognized by a thug," It obviously sounded as reasonable to Robert as it had to Chief Deputy Webster.

"That sounds prudent," he said.

"I'm not the TV guy," I said to him, but why not have the camera man film you walking up to the car with your cane. It will kind of put the whole story in context." I suggested. It would also shift the viewers attention to Robert. Hopefully I would just be a sideline. I expected him to agree since TV reporters are all attention whores.

"That actually sounds pretty good," the camera man agreed. And thats how it happened. Robert talked a little and I talked a lot about my life with the Warren Sheriff's office. I knew it is what everyone wanted. The filming took about twenty minutes, so I figured two minutes might make it to air which was two minutes more than I wanted."

The rest of that day I spend either in bed or on the computer. I bought groceries, if you can call two frozen dinners and a deli sandwich groceries. I had decided that if I did breakfast at all, it would be at the cafe on the square at the least. I might drive to the waffle house in the plaza area, but that wasn't likely to happen with my morning run factored into the equation.

The second of my days off, I went for my run at 7AM. The sun was pretty much still behind the mountains, but making an effort to show itself. I turned the corner onto the one block off main back street. It was the headed toward home part of my run. When I saw the car, I didn't recognize it. Since I was coming up from behind it, I didn't recognize the driver either. I slipped my hand into the field jacket and came out with the box opener.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.