Deputy Porter - Cover

Deputy Porter

Copyright© 2012 by carniegirl

Chapter 13

When I awoke the next morning, after a night spent alone, I thought about Gypsy on her way back to town and to the Warren County Jail. The chief deputy gave me till noon as comp time for calling me in to talk to Dee on my day off. I had a feeling that he expected me to be on hand, when Gypsy arrived. I would have been perfectly happy to be back out on the road, when she pulled into town.

I was wrong in what I thought. "Your buddy Gypsy won't be back for a couple of more days. They are having some paper work glitches, so we are all on hold. They did find her husband though. I should say they found what the catfish left of him," Simpson said. He caught me in the hallway of the Sheriff's station."

"Well that's fine, but I'm pretty sure I'm all finished with all the Allens," I said with a smile. At least I am, if you have your way, I thought.

"You never know these days, but you did get lucky this time," Simpson said.

I should not have said it, but I couldn't help it. "You don't think Dee walking in to give her sister up was a piece of good luck for you as well?" I asked. It was obvious from my tone, that I was making fun of Simpson again.

"Oh we were on her trail that's why she came in. When someone give up like that there is some pressure somewhere on them. I mean more pressure than just doing the right thing," Simpson thought he was schooling me with the tips.

"I'll keep that in mind." I said.

"Porter," the voice rang out down the hallway. The voice belonged to chief deputy Webster.

"Yes Sir, chief deputy." I said.

"I decided that I'm going to send you and Simpson down to pick up the Allen woman. Make damn sure that he does not violate her rights."

"But Chief Deputy I'm very new here one of the other deputies would do better I'm sure," I replied.

"Oh, which one of them do you think should go to the bathroom with her?" he asked.

"Surely the U.S. Marshall Service would be happy to transport her?" I suggested.

"Simpson you two are going period. Take that big black Caddy SUV we confiscated last month from the meth dealer. Do not lose her." Webster cautioned us.

"Chief Deputy, I really think that Simpson would be happier with one of the boys," I suggested.

"Are you implying that Simpson is gay?" Webster asked, with an almost straight face.

"I did not say that sir. Please do not put words into my mouth," I said.

"It's okay, I have had my tetanus shots." Webster replied.

"Not what I meant," I replied getting more than a little miffed.

"Listen you two, I am sending you together, because I don't think I have to worry about any extracurricular activities. Do I need to be concerned?" he asked.

"God no," I said.

"Only if there is a disaster and she is the only female, and I'm the only male left on earth," Simpson said.

"Only then, if no vibrators survive," I said it angrily. Just so I could have the last word.

"So go home and pack. You need to leave in time to get there before morning. Ten hours should give you plenty of time to drive it," Webster said.

"I think I'll go home and get some sleep. I can pick you up at your motel after dinner and we can leave right away," Simpson said.

"Why don't I pick you up, and we can leave from your place?" I asked. I knew no man wanted a woman to drive him around. I had done it just to prick his bubble of authority. I planned to do that early and often.

"Because that will be impossible, since I'm driving," he went on. "I am the senior officer and I'm driving, end of discussion."

"You get this one buy, but if you want to be in charge, you better be sure it is stated clearly by the bosses otherwise we are partners." I said. I turned and walked away ending any further discussion. I figured he could make sure that Webster got word to me, if I was going to be the official rookie doormat on the trip. If that didn't happen, we were going to be partners, whether he liked it or not.

"Don't worry, I am going to have a talk with Webster. I know you are our only female deputy, but you are still a rookie." Simpson said.

"Simpson I have been a cop longer than most of the male patrol deputies. It just wasn't here," I said.

"Yeah Afghanistan, that just ain't the same thing." he said.

"Simpson, I grant you it was different, but I will not grant you that it was any easier. So go do your thing with Webster because, if he doesn't make it clear that you are in charge, then you aren't in charge." I tried not to sound too argumentative, but I knew I came off that way.

I left the station and went back to my motel room. I took a nap and watched a little TV while I waited for the call from the office. "Porter, this is Sergeant Michaels. Simpson had a fit up here this afternoon and as usual Webster buckled, rather than stand up to any of the men himself. So I have the not so enjoyable task of telling you Webster placed Simpson in charge officially."

"Actually Sergeant that is a good thing as well as a distasteful one. If something goes wrong Simpson is going to have to stand up to it. He might try to lay it on me, but I'm going to remind Webster who was in change," I said with a laugh.

"My, my you did learn a lot while serving the country," Michaels said.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.