With Strength and Steel - Cover

With Strength and Steel

Copyright© 2012 by Silverwolf691

Chapter 14

I thought I was prepared for anything. Medieval torture chambers, evil dungeons, even a cave with stalactites hanging down like huge fangs. All of it had filtered through my mind like a screening of mankind's greatest horror stories or cheesy horror movies.

I should have known better. We weren't dealing with a man. And women have long been known as the creators of the worst atrocities.

With revulsion choking me, we walked into a room Elizabeth Bathory, the Blood Countess, would have felt at home in.

The once-white tiles of the floor, walls and ceiling were encrusted with untold amounts of blood and gore that the water hose in one corner had been unable to remove. The steel grates of drainage holes shone dimly here and there, some clogged with chunks of the latest victims that had yet to be cleared away.

What looked to be upgraded versions of old torture devices re-done in steel lay randomly around, interspersed with operating tables and gurneys like a freak-show hospital, complete with trays of medical equipment.

Once I could tear my eyes away from the horrors, I noticed just how large the room was. What I'd thought were walls initially were actually just blood-stained screens splitting up the space and undoubtedly hiding things I'd rather not see.

Perhaps the worst part of this room was the sitting area we found nestled in the farthest corner. Beautiful rugs graced the floor under an expensive divan and several other chairs with tables place near-by, complete with coasters and a mini-fridge.

"This is the playroom," Marcus uttered grimly. "And it's not new, either. There will be holding cells, probably somewhere along the back wall."

I nodded and worked to ignore the mess that was covering my paws, following behind the old Demon as he picked his way back across the room. My eyes fell upon more and more atrocities that had my hackles raised and a continuous growl echoing around the room. Everywhere was the sight and smell of blood, though a faint memory of human waste drifted up out of the drains. The rank smell of sex emanated from behind a large maze of screens; I was just as glad that I couldn't see the objects hidden there.

It disturbed me that, despite what I did smell, there was even more that I should have and didn't. There were individual scents but no people scents, nothing whatsoever that would tell me who had been there. Considering this was a Demon's domain, it should have smelled like Demons and whatever their prey was. But even in the "sitting area", there had been no identifying scents of any kind.

I don't like this, I thought, echoing Marcus's earlier sentiment.

Behind yet another bloodstained screen, we found a steel door, unlocked like the main door had been, leading down a dark hall. Small alcoves, open to the hall, lay off both sides. The last two were the only ones occupied but just one held my interest.

"Talon!" I breathed, shifting half-way back to human as soon as I saw him.

"Carefully," Marcus cautioned, putting a restraining hand on my shoulder. "We don't know what state he's in."

Taking a deep breath, I leaned towards the still form of my mate. I couldn't see much in the dark other than his lack of clothes and rapid, shallow breathing. I could smell the old blood that most likely covered his skin but nothing else. No metallic scent of handcuffs, chains or manacles.

"Why hasn't he escaped?" I whispered. "There's nothing binding him that I can tell."

"Wrong." The voice, faint and hoarse, came from the other occupied cell across from Talon. Slowly, the crouched figure in the corner shuffled forward, stopping a pace from the alcove's exit. "There are other ways of imprisoning someone that aren't tangible."

"Now you see what comes from dealing with someone like her," Marcus sneered at the figure. "How do you like your reward, Vampire? I find it fitting."

Stepping back from Talon's cell, I joined Marcus in front of the other prisoner. I took a breath to ask him about the man, then caught his scent.

"You dared?!" I raged, the steel bands of Marcus's wrapping around my torso to keep me from lunging at the cringing Vampire. I struggled to reach him, but was pulled backwards to the opposite wall.

"I tried to warn you," Andras spat.

"No, you didn't, you came to taunt me. If you'd actually intended to pass along any information, you wouldn't have behaved the way you did." I was still fighting to get loose and attack the creature who'd sold me and Talon out. "I never would have believed you could be persuaded to sell me out to a Demon. I hope it was worth it."

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.