Cecil Corliss, Young Investor - Cover

Cecil Corliss, Young Investor

Copyright© 2012 by happyhugo

Chapter 7

Mom and Pat were leaving directly for the airport and until I took possession of my new car, I would be driving hers. Both Melanie and I had to work at the agency on Tuesday and Wednesday. Thursday night I would be best man again at Connie and George's wedding. The New Year's ball was later. Melanie was my date for that. George had secured a table for six people at the club where the ball was to be held.

There was George and Connie, Melanie and I, and Cindy with the same person who was her date at her mother's wedding. This was the wedding party. Others of my mother's cadre were at the ball. Chelsea and Foster were back from visiting Pete and Mitzi. Polly was there. I was surprised to see James and Mary Canady, although it was planned.

Cindy was going to stand up with her mother. I anticipated this might cause some friction, but I knew Connie would tell Cindy to be on her best behavior. George had been the one to ask me to be the best man at their wedding and Cindy was the natural one to be with her mother. I could not go against either's wishes and neither could Cindy.

The wedding was at a little chapel and did not take long. When we got to the club all the rest of those who were going to party had a big table next to our reserved one. The meal was served as we came in. Polly slid into a seat next to mine. "Cecil, I want to apologize about the other night. I rarely get into that condition."

"Think nothing of it. Do save me a dance when the music starts."

"Of course." She returned to her table. Cindy had her eyes on me, but at least she was not glaring at me. Drinks were flowing freely. Mostly wine at the dinner. I still abstained. Connie was letting Cindy and her date have one occasionally. Polly had one and nursed it. I guess she planned to stay sober this evening. Melanie was the same.

The first dance was a surprise to me. A different party had requested it. It was "The Last Cheater's Waltz" and not appropriate for a wedding party, but this was a New Year's ball, so it went fine. The waltz is a beautiful one and with the stringed orchestra performing, it set the mood until more liquor was consumed. It got raucous as the evening wore on.

It was required that I dance with the bride. We had few words for each other. Connie did tell me how happy she was. Again, she claimed I started her on the road to happiness. She did say as I took her back to George, "God, was I ever horny our first time together. Cecil, you were just what I needed. You were there for me."

"Yes, and you were there for me as well. Makes for good memories, doesn't it?"

"Perfect."

Cindy was my next partner. "You and my mom seem quite easy with each other. Aren't you jealous of George?"

"No reason to be. They are both my friends."

"Yes, but..."

"Please, don't go there."

"I will go there."

"Look Cindy, I have the utmost respect for your mother and she has the same for me. It isn't any of your business as I can see, so drop it."

"I still think you are an asshole."

"Think what you want. Now let's finish this dance. I don't often get to hold a girl my age in my arms as beautiful as you are. I may not enjoy the conversation, but I do like dancing with you." No more words came from Cindy until I returned her to her date.

I received a reserved, "Thank you for the dance."

I gave everyone a New Year's kiss except Cindy. She was nowhere to be found when the clock struck twelve. I was disappointed, but not surprised. I still did not know where I stood with her. I thought I had made some progress in blunting her anger toward me. Maybe the next time we ran into each I would know.


The New Year brought changes. Drina never came back to live with Melanie. Roma did not get the Gypsy part as she was hoping. She was back in New York at school again. Drina was living with Rachel Bradford as a companion. Roma did not require more money from me, that is until I had to pay the cost of tuition for the next year.

I had been keeping Melanie's account full and had been paying her rent. However, she did not seem to need much more than the rent and I could see that eventually she would not need that. The agency had found several chores for her that generated some returns, so she was on straight salary.

Myself, I hardly had time to sleep. I sent out letters to father's former clients and they had inundated the agency with listings as I had surmised. As these listings were inserted into the Multiple Listing Service, we started getting buyers coming in the door wanting to look at the listed properties. Sometimes a client came in listing a piece of property. Also a request to buy an upgrade or a downgrade, this depending on their situation. I made my first sale of my own listing on January 20. This meant I received the major portion of the commission on the sale of the property.

Pat was well pleased with what Melanie was doing with the Plaza leases and rentals. The agency had similar properties that needed the same service. Dick gave that business to her, for which she and the agency split the fee. The fee was usually the first month's rent, so Melanie received half. I could see that in another month, Melanie would be paying all her own bills.

Amanda asked her father for another person to do some of the work she had been doing, as her workload had multiplied exponentially. The first of February we had an office meeting and Dick said that he was going to be advertising for at least one more full time sales associate and one part associate.

"Business is just that good. One property owner I am working on is a builder of condominiums. I am trying to get an exclusive listing for all of the condominiums as soon as enough are built. There is to be 124 units in three sections. One section at a time will be constructed. All are supposed to be completed in five years. It will be quite a feather in the agency's cap if it happens. This is another person brought in through the Corliss name.

"Cecil, when I first interviewed you I thought you were a smart ass. I've reached the conclusion that it is the upper portion of your anatomy that holds the intelligence, not the lower." Everyone laughed. Was this what I wanted? I was certainly successful in this endeavor. I would stick with it until it palled on me. My father started this way and he moved onto something else when he got bored with selling real estate. I could too.


I was seldom in my own office and I wondered why I leased it. All I was using it for was to store papers from my various endeavors. I could do the same in a single room with a desk somewhere in my mother's part of the house. I had signed a lease so it was a waste of money. I was young and I could see I was a whole lot foolish, just to see my name on a door.

I started thinking about taxes. I had all of the records of what I had been doing, but I knew nothing about tax preparation. I went to the yellow pages looking for someone. The second man I called and interviewed looked promising. He was a family man, had worked at doing taxes for several years and was looking to start his own business. His name was Ken Stafford.

We struck a deal, where we would share my office. His name went onto the door above mine as a business and tax consultant. He would pay the major portion of the lease and do my taxes for me. He was pleased that he did not have to lay out money to furnish an office. The only thing he needed was another horizontal file for his business. Actually, we swapped mine for his smaller one. I had bought one way too big. There was more space in it than I needed.

I sat with him while he went through my records the first time. He informed me I should have been filing quarterly taxes, but he would fix it so I would not be penalized. "You're young and didn't know. It is a good thing you did not wait a year before doing the taxes. You would have been in deep doodoo. You have a lot going on here. I will get it organized, and we will see where you stand. Leave it in my hands." Another hurdle jumped and smoothed out for me.


I was supposed to see Mitzi again. Foster and Chelsea were getting married on Valentines Day. There were getting married in her church here in the city. Mitzi was going to be her maid of honor and Pete was to be Foster's best man. Mom's cadre of friends was all going to be together at this wedding. Chelsea's invitation to me had a personal note in it from Mitzi. Cecil, Come to the wedding. I want you there, Mitzi.

I replied I would be, and I would see her in two weeks.

I was right out straight doing all that was required of a real estate sales associate. Many of the single homes I showed took up my evening. Dick Johnson hired another associate, older and much more experienced that I was. He was friendly and I learned some of the more subtle tricks of sales from him. He was glad to get into an agency where the action was at a faster pace than the last place he worked.

I was often so busy, Melanie and I only had time to exchange greetings. She was working full time and was making enough salary to live a worry free life again. We did get together at least one night a week. It was always at her house and I would take a taxi there and call for one in the morning to bring me home. I suppose Mom and Pat knew I was going somewhere for all night, but they did not know where or with whom.

I dawdled over sending back my RSVP to Chelsea for the wedding. I did not have a date to go to the wedding and I did not know whom I could ask. I could escort Polly or Melanie, but for this wedding, I was not sure if they wanted to be my partner. This was simplified when Polly had an art show at that time. I asked Melanie if she would go with me. "Cecil, I have asked Rick Wagner to attend with me." Rick was the head of maintenance that Tony had put in charge of the Plaza when he took over as manager on the first of the year.

I was not aware that Melanie knew him. I guess she did because in the process of showing apartments, she contacted him about things she observed that needed fixing. They became friends and sometimes had coffee together. He was a man seven years younger than she was, divorced, and had a seven-year-old daughter. I thought to myself that he might possibly be a match for Melanie.

I sent back the RSVP that I would be attending alone. Three days later, I received a call from Mitzi. "Cecil, you don't have a date for the wedding? How come? How about Cindy Williams?"

"Mitzi, no date and Cindy still isn't friendly. I haven't asked her for that reason."

"Well, let me furnish you a date. Cherie can come down and she is a great friend of Pete and me. She is also a very nice girl and you will enjoy being with her. Pete and I want to hang out with you, so we will have a great time together."

"Okay. Will she be staying with you at your father's?"

"Oh no, we are all going to stay with you at your apartment. We will have a blast. No classes that week so we will do stuff together."

"I'm a working man now, but I would love to have you stay with me. I'll get as much time off as I can." Well, this would be interesting. This was the first time Pete had been home since he went up to school and I had had free access to the woman he loved. I wondered who this Cherie was. Was she Pete's partner as I was to Mitzi? Time would tell.

Melanie went by my desk and paused a minute. "Cecil, are you free tonight?" This was an agreed signal indicating I was to see her tonight.

"Yes, but it will be late. I have a house to show."

"That's okay. I'll wait up for you." Melanie gave me a bright smile and moved to her desk. I had a feeling that our liaison was going to be ending soon, maybe even tonight. She had someone escorting her to Chelsea's wedding for one thing. Also in the back of my mind, I remembered what she had said about the reading of the Tarot cards. What they had indicated for Melanie when Drina read them for her. It was not too many months for a person to meet, fall in love, and have a wedding by the end of summer.

I was terribly fond of Melanie, and it was such a treat to be able to make love to her. Because of our age difference, we both knew it was not for the long term, so we just enjoyed what was on our plates until we had eaten our fill. Maybe tonight was going to be dessert. Morning, when the dishes went into the washer, would be the end. You never forget good food though!

I was correct. Melanie wanted to terminate our lovemaking. She was fearful when she sprung this on me that I would be upset. "No Melanie, I'm not upset."

"But I owe you so much. You have supported me and you have found me a great job, which I enjoy. You gave me a great little car to drive, and last, but not least, you have loved me. The door you opened for me that I was afraid to open myself, has given me confidence to face life again. You have just done so much."

"I didn't start out to help you. No, it was not because my mother asked me to, either. I was thinking of Roma and worried about her. Then when Mom invited Drina to my birthday party, it all started to come together. It was like a ball rolling downhill faster and faster. Drina by lifting herself up helps Roma. You gained by teaching Drina. Roma is gaining because she has someone she trusts to guide her."

Melanie spoke, "I needed something too. I seduced you. How I ever dared doing that, I do not know, but I did. I have watched you for years. I watched you with your mother and with our other friends, which includes me. You always showed friendliness and respect. I figured that if you turned me down, you still would show me respect even if you did not have any respect left for me.

"Now I am sending you away from me, it seems as if you still love me a little when you could very well hate me." We were lying together in bed and while she was saying all of this, I slowly started playing with her nipples. "Oh hell, who cares. Love me so I'll never forget you!" Melanie had changed more than she was aware. She never used to swear.

While I was waiting for the taxi in the morning, I asked, "Friends?"

"Always and forever."

I heard her tell Amanda that she was to have her first date with a Rick Wagner tonight. That was fine with me. Our time together had passed. Maybe I would hook up with the Cherie that Mitzi was bringing to meet me. Not encumbered in any way, I was open for anything.


Mitzi rang me at the agency, in the early afternoon telling me she, Pete, and Cherie would be arriving about 6:00. I told her I had a property to show and thought I would be home at 8:00. "That's fine with us, we will hang out with Sharon."

"Sure, great! I'll see you then." The wedding was on Wednesday and this was Monday. Given by Chelsea, tomorrow would be the rehearsal dinner. Foster had no relatives except Mitzi.

It was not to be, though. I never made it home that night and I did not see anyone for several days. I was in a coma. At eight that evening when I was supposed to be home, I was being extricated from my car along the railroad tracks. No one knew how bad my injuries were and would not know until later in the emergency room at the hospital.

I came around to awareness on Friday. Mom and Polly were there. Groggily, I asked what had happened. "We don't know for sure. Somehow, you went through some guard rails, down a twelve-foot bank and onto the railroad tracks. A train came along on the next set of tracks and clipped your car bumper sending you rolling your car over and over. You were lucky there was not a train on the same tracks as you. This is Friday and you have been unconscious since Monday."

"How badly am I hurt?"

"You have a broken left arm, some bones in your right foot are broken, and you have been severely concussed. Your chest is badly bruised, but no ribs are broken. Your prognosis now that you have regained consciousness is for a full recovery."

"Did Foster and Chelsea get married?"

"Yes, we all thought that is what you would want."

"Good."

"What happened to make you go off the road and hit the guard rails?"

"All I remember is a big pickup started to pass me and swerved into me, forcing me into the guard rails. I remember thinking, 'Oh shit' as I went through the rails and could see the train tracks below. That's the last thing I remember."

Mom looked at Polly. "We better call the police and tell them about this. They wanted to be informed if Cecil remembered what happened. They couldn't figure out why you went through the guard rails."

"Sure, Mom, but I'm sleepy. I'll talk to them later."

I did not get to sleep long. "You claim you were pushed off the road, is that it?"

"Yes Sergeant, can't you tell by the damage to my car?"

"There isn't a panel on your car that doesn't have damage on it. You went through the guard rails, hit the tracks, and rolled down the tracks after being hit by a train. What color was this truck you claim hit you?"

"Black."

"Okay, we'll look at your car closer. Do you have anyone who would want to do this to you?"

"No one that hates me enough to kill me."

"Are you sure? There must be someone who dislikes you."

"The only one who I know who doesn't care for me is a guy by the name of John Reardon. He thinks I did him out of some commission on some property I purchased from his sister and her husband."

"Names, please?"

"James and Mary Canady. He has a barbershop in the Plaza. She has a salon, but I have never been to it."

"Okay, we'll check him out and get back to you."

I had a steady stream of visitors. Mom was there every day and Polly was most days as well. All of my mother's friends came in. The Canady's came in. "The police are looking at John. He left town about the time of your accident. I hate to think he would do this to you, but he did make some threats. I gave the police what I knew about him."

"He is your brother, Mary."

"I know, but you saved James and my marriage. He has been nothing but a pain in the ass all of my life. I hope it wasn't him, but if he is guilty, he should pay."

The police were back before I left the hospital. "We found his pickup in a junk yard, not a mile from where the accident happened. The radiator was leaking and it had a smashed right fender and bumper. The junk dealer said Reardon brought it in and requested it crushed within twenty-four hours. He accepted way less than what it was worth, so instead of crushing it, the junk dealer decided to part it out. We are doing some forensic tests on it and we found the left fender of your car has black paint on it. I think we will have a match."

"What happens now?"

"We'll put out a warrant for Reardon. He'll eventually contact his family or friends and we'll have him."

Connie Williams Cameron came in for a long visit a month after the accident. Cindy was with her. She just said hi as she arrived and went to a chair on the opposite side of my bed from where Connie sat. Cindy was getting more beautiful every day. I had to keep glancing at her, as she was a feast for my eyes.

Connie was full of information about her (our) business. Cindy did not enter the conversation at all, except to chide her mother about talking about the store. "Cindy, he worked for us right after he got out of school. Of course, he is interested. George thought enough of him to have him for his best man."

"But you are talking about business. You should be asking him about how badly he is hurting and how long he is going to be here in the hospital and stuff like that."

I turned my attention to Cindy. "Thank you for being concerned about me."

She shot me down as only she could do. "I'm not that concerned, but Mom should be asking questions concerning you, not what she is doing."

"Cindy is right. How are you, Cecil?"

"I'm coming along fine. I get out of here in two days. With my broken arm, I cannot use crutches, so I have had to wait until I could walk on my foot. I have got so I can step on it, but can't take a full stride. I do get around with a cane if I take it slow. No going up and down stairs though. I cannot drive until the cast comes off my arm. Hell, I do not even have a car. The last one was only three months old and I hope the new one lasts longer than that. The first thing I'm going to do when I get out of here is to go look at the old one."

Cindy spoke up, "A bunch of my friends went and looked at it. All the windows are broken out or cracked. When the train hit it, it took the entire front end off. All there is is the motor, no front wheels or anything. I don't see how you lived through it."

"I guess someone up there likes me."

"Sure, bring God into it." Cindy spit this out and then seemed shamed at this comment.

"Whatever. Cindy, I understand you are taking a class in journalism?"

"I am and I really think this is going to be what I want to do for the rest of my life. I was lucky, because my father set up a college fund for me before he died. I will be able to go on to school, just because of what he did for me. I have already been accepted." My eyes swung to Connie. She shrugged her shoulders. Cindy had seen this and looked puzzled, but did not say anything. Cindy was at the door when Connie came to my side and said goodbye.

Before the door closed, Cindy was berating her mother about kissing me on the lips. "What would George say if I told him you kissed Cecil?"

"He would laugh at you and tell you that your mother had kissed Cecil before, and not worry about it." I did not hear Cindy's reply, but I will bet it was not nice.

Mom had a welcoming home party for me. Every one of mother's friends were there. Drina and Roma flew down from New York. Pete and Mitzi drove down from college. No Cherie and I never did meet her.

Mary and John Canady questioned if I was mad because of her brother. "No you aren't responsible. Some day, I imagine the law will round him up. In the meantime, he will be on the run. They say that is a hard way to live life."

Melanie came and presented Rick Wagner to me. He was laughing, "I finally get to meet the last one of the owners of the Plaza who is theoretically my boss. I have met your mother a few times when she comes in with Pat or Melanie. I understand Melanie owes you some money from when you helped her when she was nearly destitute?"

"I haven't asked her to pay me back, but I'm not surprised she feels that way. I wouldn't worry about it."

Just then Melanie came up to me with a ten-year-old child. "Cecil, this is Tammy Wagner, Rick's daughter." Tammy had Melanie by the hand and looking up at her as happy as could be. "We're good friends." Barren Melanie might be, but just maybe she would now have a daughter to call her own after all.

Roma had a moment alone soon after she arrived. "Cecil, I didn't come to your bedside because Mama's cards said you were going to be well. I do get to sleep with you tonight though, don't I?"

"I'm looking forward to it."

Chelsea and Foster had of course been in to see me while I was recuperating. "We will have you over for dinner before Mitzi and Pete return to school. Make sure you bring Roma. We have to tell her about the great wedding ceremony we had. You missed it too so you have to hear all about it as well." This was going to be a busy first weekend home for me.

Polly stayed by me most of the evening. The rest of mother's friends talked and laughed amongst themselves. They rarely got together as they did before they all started getting married so now they had a lot to talk with each other about. Drina was staying with Melanie for the weekend. Roma walked with me as I slowly made my way to my apartment.

"What can I do for you to make you comfortable?"

"I'm good. I do need a shower before I get into bed. You can wrap up the cast on my arm with a plastic bag so it does not get wet. I can manage the one that covers my foot."

"I'll do it. Let me get you ready now. You must be tired. We can talk after we go to bed."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.