Cecil Corliss, Young Investor - Cover

Cecil Corliss, Young Investor

Copyright© 2012 by happyhugo

Chapter 5

"Cecil, can you come over to the plaza and meet Tony Bishop and me? I want to get things squared away between us." This was right after I had been swimming for the exercise on Tuesday.

"Yes, I will if you promise not to dump your Plaza on me."

"No, not the Plaza, but I have something that might work in conjunction with your becoming a real estate agent."

"Okay I will be over shortly."

Pat was pouring coffee for me when I arrived. Tony was already there.

"Hey, Cecil."

"Hi Tony, what has Pat come up with?"

"Well it is a lot less than one half the Plaza. You are also going to have to work in this one."

Pat said, "Listen to this. You do not have to agree to anything or accept it. It is just an idea. You know I have dozens of apartments in the top two floors. Tenants are always coming and going. For each apartment, a lease is generated. When the tenants leave, the apartments are inspected. If the apartment is found damaged, a determination has to be made what amount the tenants are responsible for and it comes out of their deposit.

"After a tenant moves out, the apartment has to be renovated and everything brought up to code before a new one moves in. The manager has to hire painting contractors, plumbers, and often some flooring repair and replacement.

"Right now I hire a property manager to take care of all of this, but he has given his notice. He is leaving the first of the year. He will train his replacement before he leaves."

"This is all separate from your business rentals on the first floor?"

"Yes, a business lease is a whole different thing than renting an apartment."

"What arrangement did you have in mind for me?"

"I know what my square-foot-costs of the two floors are. That changes with the increases in taxes and my insurance. What I have in mind is to make the property management a separate entity. You could make it your own business with your own name if you choose. You would get the spread of the fixed costs and the amounts charged the tenants.

"This may be a lot bigger than you would want to take on, but Tony and I are here to guide you. You will have the present manager to teach you all the mechanics of the business before he leaves. I feel this is a great opportunity and you can get your feet wet in the business world."

"What happens if I screw up in some way? I take it this new management company could be fired?"

"Theoretically it could, but I wouldn't let that happen."

"Let me ask you a question. Do you have anyone else in mind to take over this business if I refuse?"

Pat's eyes immediately swung to Tony, who did not meet my eyes. Pat answered, "Well yes, but there are parts of this deal that he isn't qualified for, or wants to handle."

"What part is that?"

"Making out the leases and showing the apartments when one is open. He hates interviewing prospective tenants."

I sat thinking that part of the job did not seem as if it would be too time-consuming. I had just turned nineteen. Total property management would be a full-time job, and I obviously would be on call twenty-four hours around the clock. I had other interests. I wanted a realtor's license. If I got a license, I would want to use it. If I was tied up with a full-time job, I could not give justice to either endeavor. "Would you let me think this over for a couple of days? I will let you know. I can tell you right now, I don't want the management job."

Tony and Pat looked at me. At first, I thought they would explode. Pat had given me a great chance at what could be a lifetime job. It was not what I wanted. Suddenly they both started laughing. Tony had bet Pat that I would turn it down.

Then we got down to what would work. "Would you consider doing the leases and showing the apartments? You can do that by making an appointment and doing it at your convenience. Tony will teach you the lease basics and my present manager will show how he has handled the showings before he leaves. You would get paid a finder's fee on each apartment you show whether it is rented or not."

"Can you take me around today? Maybe I could look at a couple of empty apartments. I want to get an idea what they look like."

"Sure, there is one open on the second floor and two on the third. Those on the third floor are not rented as frequently as those on the second floor. There are elevators, of course, but still it is the idea of not being as close to the ground." We went up to the second and walked to number 16. Pat produced a key and we went in and looked around. This one had two bedrooms, a kitchen, bath and a small living room. "All on this floor are two bedroom apartments. On the third floor, they are all one bedroom except for two that have three bedrooms."

We went into all three empty apartments and looked around. Pat told me what the rent was for each apartment. "You multiply that by as many apartments of this size, minus about twelve percent unfilled and you get an idea what the gross income is. Then you start subtracting the cost of upkeep, maintenance, and the fixed cost like taxes and insurance. Water and heat has to be figured in because that is included in the rent."

Pat explained all this to me, thinking this was all new to me. I did not tell him that I was aware of a lot of this because my father had explained it to me when investing for those clients who purchased rental properties. That was years ago and a refresher course was welcomed.

We went up to the third floor and went into one of the two single bedroom apartments. We passed a wide stairwell going up to the loft. "What is up there?"

"I have one tenant up there. It is a woman artist and she leases sixty-seven feet on the north end. She tells me that is where the light is best for what she paints. You'll notice that there are large windows on the end of the building. Do you want to meet her?"

"Sure, I'd like to. Maybe she would like to paint my picture. Do you know anything about her?"

"Not too much. She is local to the city. She rented the loft a little over two years ago. She also keeps pretty much to herself, except when she goes off somewhere to show her paintings. At times she takes off, I suppose looking for subjects to paint."

"Does she paint landscapes or portraits?"

"Landscapes, I guess. That is all I have seen when I have been in her studio."

"What is her name?"

"Pauline Olson."

"I used to know a woman by that name. She was at one time a friend of my mother's. I liked her, but then she stopped coming around. I never asked mom why."

"Let's go up and you can meet her." We climbed the stairs and Pat swung the door to the loft inward.

"Mr. Herkimer, you startled me."

"Sorry. Polly, here is a young man who says he used to know you."

"Oh my God, Cecil, it has been a long time." She looked at Pat, stating, " I do know him." Before me stood a short blonde woman. Not tall, maybe five feet-one. She was more voluptuous then Mom's other cadre members. She had been painting a small canvas and paint smeared her smock.

I remembered four or five years ago, when Polly used to come to the house with all of my mother's other friends. I think I liked her best of all. Well, I liked Connie too, but Polly would always speak and sometimes sit with me. She acted as if she really liked me and that could impress a fourteen-year-old boy.

Polly did not ask after my mother. Her first comment surprised me. "Oh, you are the image of your father. Will you hug me?" Then she turned to Pat and Tony. "Would you leave me alone for a little time with Cecil? I want to reconnect with him."

"Sure, we are done with him for today anyway. Cecil, give me the answer when you can. No hurry."

"Give me a couple of days." Pat waved his hand and nodded agreement as he shut the door behind him.

"My, you sure have grown up. Tell me about yourself and the last few years. I thought I spotted you in the parking lot a few times. Were you on the stage? I saw a young man speak a few words at the ribbon cutting. I know your mother was there and I saw a young man with her, wondering if it might not be you. Tell me what you are doing with Mr. Herkimer?"

I laughed. "You sure ask a lot of questions. The last one I will answer first. Pat Herkimer has taken up with my mother and they are going to get married soon. I may be doing some things for him here in the plaza. He offered me the property management job, making it a separate company and giving me ownership. I turned him down because I have my own things I want to do. I am studying for a real estate license. He also needs someone who will be taking care of the leases when someone rents an apartment here. I would get a fee for that and am considering it."

"Tell me, did Samson leave you enough money to live on?"

"Yes, Polly, my dad left me well off. As you know, he was a financial investor and I think he taught me enough so I am doing the same as he did only using a different model."

"How so?"

"I'm investing directly in a person or a single business. You can say I have even invested in the Plaza for Pat. I came up with the access when the bridge closed. I know I'm bragging and I don't usually." I did not want to continue in that vein. "Polly, why did you stop coming to the house with the other women who are Mom's friends?"

Polly looked at me and then gestured for me to follow her. She went to the back of the studio. There were several canvases, unframed, stacked on edge on the floor. She pulled the top three of them toward her and pulled the next one up and out of the slanted pile. "Cecil, this is the reason. Sharon discovered that I was Samson's mistress. She actually handled the knowledge better than I did. I felt so guilty and couldn't face her any more."

She turned the canvas around, and there was my father's image. Polly had captured his likeness so well, for a minute, I thought my father was going to speak to me. I looked at her and asked, "Did you love him?", knowing she did, for I could see the love she had put into his face. Anyone could see it and in that minute, I realized it must have been for Polly and not for me.

Tears filled her eyes and ran down her face. She could not speak and just nodded her head. I went to her and hugged her to me. I had never seen my mother cry over my father, but this woman was obviously broken up over him. I led her back to where we could examine the portrait in the natural light. I was carrying the canvas. She said. "I painted that for you to have someday. I was going to have this framed and I was going to send it to you. You know he loved you, but I suppose he didn't tell you. He did not know how to show a person how he felt. I take that back, for he showed me."

"Polly, I figured out finally how much he did love me. I am positive he would have told me when I got older. He did not get older, but he started early enough by showing me what he was doing and how to make money. He even said that to me one time."

"Samson would be so pleased to hear you say that. He was hoping someday you would follow in his footsteps. His intention was to form an agency called Corliss and Sons, Investments. I could tell you so much about your father. I was just his mistress, but he loved me very much. You know if he hadn't made Sharon pregnant after a wild night when we were all young and drunk, you would be my son instead of hers."

"Polly, I want to hear it all. I am going to be here in the Plaza a lot. I'll visit you when I come."

"Oh Cecil, that would make me so happy. I want to have you share your life with me as well. I want to tell you of my life with your father, too. You can get a different perspective of him that way. You know, if you are investing for people, I will let you handle mine. Samson set up an account for me in my name and when he died, it was unknown and did not go into his estate. Also, my paintings are quite well known. The last show I held, I sold forty percent of the inventory that was in the show. That is exceptional."

"Are you happy?"

"Happy? I don't know. I would be happier if Samson was alive, but maybe you can fill some of the void I have felt since he died."

I spent another half hour with Polly. I went away feeling almost closer to this woman than I did my mother. She was such a warm person. Do not get me wrong, I love my mother, especially the way she had connected with me in the last two years. I still could not forget the years up until then, though.

My days were getting busy. Fitness or swimming early every morning. And studying my lessons. I never knew when Mitzi would slide into bed with me. Oh, but then that was fine exercise! Melanie and Drina were settling in together in Melanie's apartment. It was small and cozy, and it did have room for Drina to stay full time with her.

I now paid the rent and opened the two of them an account to draw on. After Drina read the cards for Melanie, she suggested Drina read cards for her friends. They would pay and give Drina a small income. In a way I was pleased that neither one was trying to use me.

Roma did not know that I had employed her mother to watch over her. This would be until she had her feet on the ground with her acting career. That was my plan. If Melanie were with them for a short while, she would give Roma more needed class. Melanie was a perfect role model. Roma would learn of my plans when she came home at Thanksgiving time.

I rolled over in bed Friday morning and there was Mitzi smiling at me. "Hi, you were sleeping so soundly, I didn't want to wake you."

"Good, I was hoping you would come in last night. I want to know what your father is doing for Thanksgiving."

"He and Chelsea are going out to a restaurant for dinner. I am invited to go with them. I hate to, for I will be somewhat like a third wheel. I do think my father is finally in a relationship. Why the question?"

"I thought maybe you would like to have Thanksgiving with Pete. I will give you my car to use so you can visit him and I will buy your dinner. I'll even spring for three nights in a motel."

"Why all this?"

"Roma is coming home and I want to be with her. I've set it up where her mother will be here with her for the holiday."

Mitzi giggled. "Don't want us to get together and compare notes, huh?"

"Compare all you want to. I just thought you would like to see him. Then it is you who will have to do the comparing of Pete and me." This time I was smiling.

"I'll call and tell him. Stay right there." Mitzi went into the other room and soon came back. "I don't know if Pete is in love with me or with you. He told me to thank you, anyway."


There was the license exam date coming up the first week of December. I concentrated on completing my real estate course and spent much time reviewing the material. I felt this was a marker in my life. Going back to what my father had said to me at one time. This was what he wanted to teach me. It was how to make money if it ever became necessary. I was investing money at a fast rate, which would continue for the next two years, even if I did not take on anything new.

I had done very well with what I called the Plaza project including the loan to the Biscotti Construction Company. I could declare I had not really spent very much capital as I had replaced what I had withdrawn from my account to put Roma into school. What I had laid out to put the Button and Bows Knitting shop on its feet was already giving me some return. I had in mind that if it was as successful after a year as I hoped, there might be a possibility of making it the core of a future franchise. I would take on new projects as I found different opportunities, as they were everywhere. All a person had to do was to scope these out.

I chuckled to myself when I thought about Cindy Williams. I could write off what I had laid out to put into her college fund anytime as a total loss. I would not have to have any more contact with her. Connie well knew that Cindy did not like me, so she would not push us together. We arranged to meet in my office to conduct the Knitting Shop business.

I was drawn to the Plaza and Polly Olson. I had the excuse to go up to the loft as I was often in the Plaza with the maintenance manager. I did not need an excuse I guess, but I wanted to find out more about the relationships of my mother, my father and of Polly. I wanted this to come from Polly first and then I wanted to get my mother's story. After all, you had to respect and love the only mother you ever knew, the same as you would your father.

The story final came out, bit by bit, so that I could piece it together. Mother and Polly went to the same college. The two girls roomed together and it was while they were out to a party that they met my father. Sharon, my mother, was the more aggressive and claimed Samson for her own at first. He, however, was drawn to Polly, the warmer, quieter, more settled woman. Sharon soon became aware of where my father's interest lay.

"Sharon claims she forgot to take her birth control pills and was soon pregnant. How many times have I kicked myself about being out-maneuvered by her? Your father was an honorable man and married your mother. I stepped out of the picture and made a life for myself. I've done very well too."

"Were you intimate with my father at that time?"

"Of course, at first. I worked so hard to get him to love me and that was part of it. I received his love, but Sharon got him through her pregnancy and in a few months, she had you. I did not see either of them for more than five years. Your mother came to my first showing. I had not kept track of her, but she had looked me up. We talked and she wanted to resume our friendship. I said no, because I still had strong feelings for your father. So, it was another five years, before I saw Samson again.

"Sharon brought Samson with her to a show. It was as if I had never left him. He felt the same for me. He suggested that I again become one of Sharon's friends. This was just so we could speak occasionally. We continued in that vein until just before you were twelve, By this time I realized that Sharon wasn't giving you much of a mother's love. You must remember when I started paying more attention to you?"

"I do. You gave me a nice present on my twelfth birthday. It was a calculator I had wanted for a long time."

"I gave it to you, but it was at your father's suggestion of something you would want. It was inevitable that Samson and I resume the intimate relationship we had so many years before. We did not take anything from your mother. Samson treated her same as he always did. We did make some plans, though. We planned when you reached eighteen he was going to divorce your mother and marry me."

"You disappeared from my life when I was fourteen."

"Yes, your mother heard Samson and me talking about him leaving her. She confronted us about it. Again, she won. She did agree to divorce him when you were eighteen. I would leave until then and have no more contact with Samson or any of her friends. She was afraid her friends would get onto the fact that Samson and I was intimate and that would humiliate her."

"It would have."

"Yes, and Samson as well. I agreed to your mother's terms. I did see Samson one more time. We spent a week together about five months before he died. I have cherished the memory of that week so much." Tears were running down Polly's face and I just had to give her a hug.

"I could dislike my mother for taking away your happiness."

"No, that wouldn't be right. Your mother did love your father and she did realize that I loved Samson more than she did. She would have let me finally have him when you reached eighteen. I know she would have."

"I asked my mom about you at the time you disappeared you know. It must have been a month before I realized you were not coming to see my mom and me. Mom told me you had moved away and you were so sad about it you couldn't come and say goodbye."

"I was more than sad. I was brokenhearted."

I never stayed too long because I was always interrupting her painting. She claimed she did not mind, but I could see I was a bother. Finally, one day she said, "Come in the evening sometime. I can't paint without natural light. We can talk longer." She sent the portrait of my father out to be framed, promising to give it to me when it came back.

The next time I stopped by to say hi, mounted on the wall there was a larger than life picture of my father at his desk. Me, as a ten-year-old boy was sitting off to one side holding a book. You could read the title of the book. "Commodities, How to Buy and Sell."

I remembered that particular time. Polly rarely came into my father's office while I was there, but I did remember that day as she had her camera with her and didn't stay long.

"You may have that picture if you like it. The one I showed you of just your father is out to the frame shop. You can take your pick."

"I'll wait for that one to come back." Polly presented it to me three days before Thanksgiving and I hung it on the south wall of my tiny living room. I knew Roma would enjoy seeing what my father had looked like when she arrived on Wednesday. What my mother would say, when she saw it, I had no idea. There was no reason why Polly and my mom could not be friendly. That is what I thought, but I had learned you could not second-guess the female gender.

Mitzi came and got my car to drive north. No, we did not make love. I think she would have, but it didn't seem right. I did receive a very warm kiss but there was not any passion in it as there shouldn't be. Before she drove off I asked how Chelsea and her father were getting along."

"Wonderfully. Dad loves her already and she can't do enough for him."

"Just a thought while you up there with Pete, why don't you see if they have a grocery store that is the same chain as the one you are working in now. If there is you might apply there the first of the year and move up there."

"I couldn't afford to."

"Maybe Chelsea would help if you asked her. That way your father and Chelsea could have your house to himself without you being around."

"Oh come on Cecil, she has no money."

"Maybe not, but I still think you should at least tell her that you would like to move closer to Pete."

"Okay, if she is there when I get my suitcase, I'll at least hint that I would love to." One more quick kiss and she was on her way.

Mother was putting on Thanksgiving for Roma and I, Drina and Melanie, and Pat Herkimer. Yes, Roma and I slept in the same bed as we used to. We talked until the wee hours in the morning. Just before we turned over to sleep, I announced that her mother would be at the table tomorrow. Roma was shocked. "How come?"

"Because you need her. She has moved out of the enclave where you grew up and is living with one of mother's friends. She is getting familiar with a broader culture than where she comes from. When you become a star, you will need someone to watch your back. She can do that for you."

"Who will be paying for this?"

"I may at first, but you will eventually, not long after you finish your schooling. Remember I am getting a percentage of your income when you start performing. I'm providing just a little more of an advance to assure that you have every chance to become the star I just mentioned."

"I still ask why?"

"Because, and I will say this as I have said before, I believe in you."

"Cecil, your faith in me is my greatest inspiration. I will do my best."

Roma and I went around to my mother's part of the house at ten. Pat was there as he stayed over on a regular basis now. Drina and Melanie were expected at any minute. Mom hugged Roma saying how pleased she could join us for the holiday. "Sharon, that is a wonderful portrait hanging in Cecil's apartment. What a handsome man your husband was. I do believe Cecil is a copy of his father."

Mom swung her eyes to me. "Cecil what picture is Roma talking about?"

"It was a portrait painted by one of your former friends. She gave it to me." Mom knew immediately it had to have come from Polly Olson.

"You never said you knew Polly. Where is she living? I haven't seen her for several years."

Pat spoke up. "Ms. Olson lives in the Plaza. I wasn't aware that you knew her or I would have said something."

"Oh, I know her all right. I was not aware she had painted Samson. Cecil, I'll want to see the picture and we will talk about this later."

"Sure Mom." Just then Roma's mom arrived by taxi with Melanie. Already I could see the change in Drina. She was dressing better, her makeup was perfect, and she did not act like a subjugated person as she did when I first knew her. Roma drew her mother into the living room and each told the other what was going on in their lives. Melanie latched onto me and was telling me about her own life now. She thanked me for giving her life a boost in what was dreary before Drina. I took it she was happy for what I had set before her to do.

The women soon all went into the kitchen and Pat sat down beside me saying. "You said you knew Polly Olson. I take it that your mother does too."

"Yes, they go way back. They both loved my father. Polly, I think, loved my father much more deeply than mom did, but my mother had me and Polly was pushed to the side. My father died early. Some changes, which were in the works, were never able to be resolved. I do not know if the two will ever be friends again. I wish they could be, for I think the world of my mother of course, but Polly is not far behind.

"I have heard Polly's side of their life. I am curious to hear what my mother has to say. Who knows what their lives would have been if Mom hadn't gotten pregnant with me."

"I don't know Pauline Olson at all well. She has been a good tenant for me. I really was surprised when you said you knew her. You know, Sharon never talks about your father. I do know that I love her very much and we will be married before the first of the year. Whether she loved your father or not is really nothing to me."

"That's great. I want my mom to be happy. I didn't see that she wasn't, but looking back, I could she where she might not have been." Mom announced dinner. We sat down for the traditional turkey and fixings.

I went back to my apartment and lay down. I was tired from talking to Roma into the early morning hours. Roma brought Drina in and said she had asked her mother to sleep with her tonight. "Okay with me. I'm going out tonight and I may be late."

Roma looked at me and I smiled slightly and shook my head, indicating that I was not going to hook up with another girl for sex. She smiled back at me. I left shortly and made my way to the Plaza. Polly was heating some soup. I shut her stove off and found a wrap for her. "I'm taking you out for a late Thanksgiving dinner. I want to give thanks for us finding each other again."

"You're sweet. That is like something your father would do." We found a small restaurant that was open. Polly had two glasses of wine with her meal and when we returned to her loft, she had another.

"Polly, how do you feel about my mother?"

"Why are you asking?"

"I would like you two to be friends again. You have been friends twice in your life. I would like to have you go for three."

"I would too, but it would have to be at her invitation. I did not play fair, I suppose. I just loved your father so much. I did not feel as if I was cheating. He should have been my husband to start with."

"Polly, Mom knows I have the picture of my father you gave me hanging on the wall in my apartment. She wants to talk to me about you and I guess about her relationship with my father. Maybe some things good will come of this."

"I hope so. If Sharon and I get back to being friends again, I will feel as if I have come full circle." It was early and Polly did not want me to go. She asked, "Do you know anything about painting?"

"No."

"Come, I will tell you a little about it. All my life I have wanted to be an artist. I used to draw pictures with my crayons. Most people get beyond common wax crayons, but occasionally I create in that medium. I also work in oil, watercolor, and acrylics. I try for perfection, but there isn't a single image that couldn't be better.

"It is like being a writer. You have a million words to get your story to the reader. You just have to choose the correct ones. One writer will use one set of words, another will use different words, and they might be telling the same story. One story will be great and the other one not so much. It is the same with painting. You have to use the correct medium."

Before I was aware, the time had passed and it was midnight. I made my excuses and Polly rose and came into my arms for a hug. She said, "You are a wonderful young man. Sharon and Samson couldn't have produced a better example of manhood."

I stood outside the door thinking for a minute after it closed behind me, "Polly has had heartbreak for most of her life. It is a sad situation."


I did not see much of Roma, as her mother took up her time by staying in my apartment with her. Soon she was due to return to New York. Mitzi came back from her mini vacation with Pete. She saw that my apartment was crowded, so she went on home. Before she did that, Roma, Mitzi and I had a chance to spend an afternoon together. I learned while she was telling Roma that she and Pete had a great time. They did not get out of bed for the first 24 hours they were together.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.