Invasion - Cover

Invasion

Copyright© 2012 by 2 flags

Chapter 40

There was great joy and celebration when the men returned. Feasting and dancing were again the order of the day.

“It seems as soon as I arrive anywhere, the people use it as an excuse for a party!” laughed Tom as he and Ganlan watched over the proceedings.

“Well, Sire, anytime our King leads us to a great victory, I think that is a very good reason for a party. We have made what will prove, hopefully, a lasting peace with the Northern tribes. They certainly won’t be in a position to cause us any more trouble for a very long time.”

“That is true. I do have some concerns with that. Malith was talking about some of his people raiding them. How would you feel to having some of your men riding regular patrols through the area? If I could I’d bring in men from Small Cove or even Dampford. I really don’t want this opportunity ruined by the actions of a few hotheads.”

“I’ll see what we can do. I’m sure we will be able to find a few young lads who will be only too eager.”

“Thanks. I appreciate it, I really do.”

He saw Paul and Janice moving slowly towards them.

“How are you keeping? When are you due” he asked

“Bearing up. It could be any day now. I felt a few twinges, this morning. I spoke to Dr Ilsa. She says it will probably be tomorrow or the day after,” she said. “I’m glad you’re back. I feel so much happier knowing Ilsa is here. You will be able to stay until the birth, won’t you.”

Tom looked at his friend and his wife. “Of course we will. I’m sure a couple of days won’t make the slightest difference.”

Sure enough, later that night, Janice went into labour. Dr Ilsa attended, and Paul did what men have done since the beginning of time: he fretted, worried, and held his wife’s hand as she delivered their beautiful bouncing baby boy.

“It’s a boy!” he announced proudly to all and sundry.

“What are you going to call him?” they all asked

“Thomas Gordon, after my father.”

“That’s fantastic,” Eleanor told him. I’m sure he’ll make you all proud.

“Can I see him?” asked Martha, looking up at Paul. “Can I see my baby brother?”

“Of course you can. Come on, let’s go and see him.”

Paul and Martha went off to see the baby.

They all went to see the new arrival. Paul held his newborn son with the wonder and amazement that all new parents experience.

“They make a wonderful family don’t they,” Tony said, looking at the wonder and joy on their faces.

“That they do. I think we’d better leave them to it. We have rather a lot to do ourselves.”

As they left Tony remarked “We had better think about getting going soon ourselves. That sky is looking rather ominous.” Thick black clouds had rolled in blocking out the sun.

“We might want to wait until that storm has passed. Wouldn’t want to get caught in that if we don’t need to.”

That night the storm began. It rained solidly for two days. The water ran down the hills in torrents, filling the rivers and streams. Finally, it stopped raining. The landscape was transformed. Where there were streams there were rivers, where there were rivers there was now raging torrents carrying everything and anything before them. Fields had turned into lakes. The whole place looked like an inland sea.

“We’re not going anywhere in this.” Tony exclaimed as he looked out taking in the scene before him.

“No, I really don’t think we are,” Tom replied. He turned to Ganlan. “Tell me, have you ever seen anything like this before?”

“Yes, Sire, I have. When I was a boy, we had rain like this. It took four weeks for the water levels to fall and we could get out. It was a real problem, for we did not have the reserves we have now. We were all separate tribes. It was real hardship. Now, we can sit back and just wait, knowing we have enough food to see us through. Although it’s a pain, now, I was talking to some of the farmers. They tell me this will be a godsend once the waters recede, as it will leave fertile silt all over the fields. They say we’ll have an even better harvest next year! This year was the best I can ever remember, so if next year is even better, then I just don’t know where we’ll put it all! I must say Sire, it’s a fantastic position to be in.”

“That I can believe. I guess we’ll just have to make the best of it and wait it out.”

This they did. They all trained every day ... well, every day it wasn’t raining. The children in the party looked in wonder at the sights around them. They were fascinated by size of the town, the machines, as well as the sewage system. They had never seen anything like it.

“This is fantastic.” Flora stared in wonder as she stood with Dr Ilsa in the hospital. She watched how all the patients were washed, and how the room was kept clean.

Ilsa saw her interest and said, “We keep them clean to reduce infection. Tiny little bugs called germs can make a person ill. We all must make sure that we wash our hands before we do anything with a patient, especially after visiting the privy. If we do that, and keep both the patients and the room clean, then they will recover much more quickly.”

Others in the party were equally impressed. One of the boys was particularly taken with Aurora. It was funny to watch him following her with puppy dog eyes. He took a great interest in her work of sewage systems. Once he realised that she was Lord Tony’s woman, he knuckled down and learned as much as he could. Several of the others shadowed Tony, learning all he had to teach them. They all were bright young things and absorbed information like sponges.

In the end, it was five weeks before the water receded. Baby Thomas thrived and grew like a weed. Janice bounced back after childbirth. She told them she felt fantastic.

“We’d like to accompany you back to Small Cove.” Janice said to them. “I know Paul would like to see you off. He wishes to spend as much time with Ilsa as possible. To tell the truth, so do I. There is so much she has to teach us. Thomas is thriving so I have no concerns, there. Please, it would mean so much to us.”

“Of course you can come. We need you both to take care of Gwen. She still struggles to function without you both. I was wondering if she would even make the trip, without you.”

“Without Martha, you mean. Did you know they sleep together, now? That little girl holds her hand and strokes her head just as we did when we first met her. We nearly always find them curled up together.”

“She is a little marvel, isn’t she?”

“Yes, she is”

The wagons were packed, kits were cleaned, and the people were readied. After yet another celebration, the column set off for their final destination. It took several weeks, with the usual problems that beset a travelling monarch.

At last, Small Cove came into view. What a difference they saw, from the tiny port of their arrival! Before them was a bustling metropolis, with ships of all shapes and sizes lined up in the port. When they had left, there had been a wall all around the town. The wall was still there, but was even bigger, with more defences upon it. The town however had expanded outside the wall. It was rapidly expanding up the hillside. These houses looked much bigger and spacious. Some were quite magnificent. It appeared that those with money, had moved out of the town to escape the smell.

The townsfolk had all come out to greet them. Crowds of happy smiling cheering folk lined the streets. The tired but happy procession made it’s way towards the castle. It had been expanded, with its outer walls now made of stone. The beginnings of a stone tower could also be seen. Once they arrived, they entered the great hall. Several of the town’s luminaries were present.

“Welcome, Sire, welcome. As you can see there have been some changes since you left. We have not been idle and neglectful,” said a smiling Sir Robert.

“So I can see. I take it everything is going well.”

“Well? That does not even begin to describe it. The family is doing really well, and the farm has never been so productive. As for the town, well! We have more and more ships arriving every day. Sir Tony’s machines are sold before we can even make them. We have orders for the next two years! We cannot make them fast enough! The farms are producing so much food that we are sending shiploads over to the mainland. We have never had such bumper harvests. The flood of refugees has slowed to a trickle, but we have more work than ever. No-one is idle and no-one is hungry! Lord Paul’s angels have made everyone’s life so much more comfortable as well. The hospital is a godsend. All in all, Sire, things could not be better.”

Tom turned to the others. “How about the rest of you?”

“Sire, things are just brilliant. We have expanded the factories and the forges. The problem we have is getting enough raw materials. I know the merchants are also doing well what with the new jetty. Trade is booming.”

The other tradesmen and merchants agreed that things were going well.

“I think it’s time for a victory party, don’t you. We have freed our land from the scourge of slavery. I do not think for one minute that these people will be making a come back.”

They all agreed and a party was soon arranged. As they moved around the town meeting with their friends, no-one noticed a group of men watching them.

“We’ll wait until after the party. Everyone will be the worse for wear. Very soon we’ll all be rich beyond our wildest dreams.”

The party went well. Everyone enjoyed themselves. It was a bitter-sweet time for Tom and Eleanor.

“I wish you did not have to return,” she said as she snuggled into his shoulder.

“I know. If things were different, I would stay here. You do know that I have fallen in love with you?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.