Invasion
Chapter 36

Copyright© 2012 by 2 flags

They were passing fields of ripening crops. Corn and wheat waved back and forth with the breeze as they made their way back to Battle Valley. It was still a very slow process as at every step the people would come out and wave and cheer them. The sick were brought out as well. Every time they stopped someone would be brought out needing urgent attention. All in all progress slowed to a crawl. They were used to it by now, however, so they spent the little spare time they had training. There were disputes to settle, weddings to bless and babies to kiss. There was also the thorny issue of taxation to raise.

This they did at every stop, explaining why, how much, why it was so much, the benefits to everyone and what would happen to them if it were known that they were the ones responsible for the patrols and Angels being withdrawn or reduced. Slowly the message got home. It was a slow and frustrating process. It was slow progress, but in its own way rewarding. The people had a chance to come and see their king. They got to talk to him. He also got a chance to meet them, to understand their needs and requirements, their fears and hopes, their dreams and aspirations.

There were some frustrations as well. Sometimes Tom would come into his tent almost tearing his hair out in frustration.

"Do you know what problem they wanted me to sort out today? The fat farmer's cow keeps getting into the widow's garden and eating her vegetables. How am I supposed to stop that? Build a fence, I told them. Build a fence to stop the cow getting in the garden. Surely they don't need me to tell them something that bloody obvious do they?"

Eleanor came over to him. "Obviously my love they do. Now then, come here and have some food. Afterwards I intend to do something to help you relax and take away all that tension."

Tom did eat, and eat well. Eleanor did relieve Tom's tension. Anyone who happened to pass the tent that night could have told you how.

The slow progress was also good for Janice. She was now about six months pregnant, she was radiant, in what they call the full bloom of pregnancy. It was a fine summer's day when they finally arrived in Battle Valley. Everyone was out to see them. Ganlan was there as well as Talbath with his wife Salina. Janice's parents were there as well. Her father was surprised to see her condition, her mother not so.

"I knew you two were meant for each other as soon as I saw you together. I'm not surprised you couldn't wait." her mother said quietly.

"Oh mum, I love him so much. Such a lot has happened, I don't know where to begin."

"Don't worry dear. I'm sure there will be plenty of time to hear all about it."

"I'm sure there will be. After all, there's a little matter of my wedding to organise"

There were several families there who were looking for their loved ones. Some of them were disappointed. Tom made it his business to visit each and every one. It was a long and draining evening as he held and cried with each of the families who had lost loved ones during the campaign. One family he did see was Rolof's.

"Where's Rolof? He's okay isn't he?" his worried mother asked

"Yes, he's fine. He's staying at Bridgetown with Eviaria. She is running the hospital there and he is second-in-command of Bridgetown's defence force. They are married and I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that you are to be grandparents soon. They really love each other."

He turned to Adrienne, Eviaria's mother. "You needn't worry. The people of Bridgetown soon realised what they had lost when you left. When Eviaria returned, they begged her not to leave but to stay and run the hospital. She and Rolof are so happy there. Anyway, with the new roads and patrols, there's no reason why you can't go and visit!"

Adrienne smiled and threw her arms around Tom. "Thank you. Thank you for everything. I don't know what we'd have done without you."

"You are very welcome. The smiles on peoples' faces I see every day is reward enough. The thought of what would have happened if the Brotherhood had won — well it doesn't bear thinking about."

The following day was a time of celebration. Food and drink was brought; musicians played. It was a day long feast! Speeches were made, songs sung, dances danced and toasts offered and promises made. The next morning there were the usual aching heads. The Angels were, as usual on these occasions very busy distributing headache and stomach upset medicine. Both Tom and Ganlan were sure that in nine months the numbers in the tribe would see a sudden increase.

Tom was in conference with Ganlan, enquiring how thing were and what, if any problems they were encountering.

"To be honest Sire we have never been this well off. We can sell everything we catch. The market for our furs has never been better and since we brought those refugee farmers in, along with those wonderful machines that Lord Tony brought, well, for the first time I can remember we don't have any fear of the winter. We have full grain stores, full vegetable stores. Before we would put everything into having enough food to get us through the winter. We always seemed to manage, but sometimes it was tight. Many a child has cried itself to sleep with hunger.

"That now is a thing of the past. As for problems, well the only thing I can think of is satisfying the desires of the women for new goods. They, for the first time, have the ability to have fine gowns and dresses, rather than whatever they can make for themselves. Did you know we had a lady come here from Small Cove to set up shop as a seamstress? She was a refugee from the mainland. She fled to Small Cove with her children when her husband was killed. She made her way and found a place here. She and Forgath have set up home together. He was widowed a few years ago. His wife died of the fever. We seem to get less of that now. When we do, well Adrienne takes care of it. She really has been a godsend."

"I'm pleased things are going so well. It's nice to hear good news for a change. I'm glad people have embraced change so willingly. I was worried people were going to be resentful of the refugees and not make them welcome."

"Not make them welcome? They are more than welcome! The ideas they brought have helped ensure we will eat this winter. What could be more important than that?"

Tom laughed "Nothing my friend, nothing. Now, let us go and see how Paul and Janice are getting on. There is a wedding to organise."

It took a week to organise the wedding. There was the dress to arrange, a cake to bake and a number of things that needed doing, not to mention folk needed time to recover from the last party. Tom officiated, Tony was the best man and of course the bride was both beautiful and radiant. The bride's mother of course cried her eyes out at the sight of her beautiful daughter. After the ceremony the three friends found themselves in a corner chatting away.

"Well, how does it feel to be a married man?" Tony asked, smiling.

"I don't know. I know it's the right thing to do. It just feels right. I've never been so sure of anything."

"She is a wonderful woman. You have one of the best there. I'm sure you'll be very happy together," Tom said

"I know we will. I'm sorry not to be coming home with you, but this is my home now, here with Janice, Martha and the baby. God, I'm so happy at the moment I feel like I could burst!"

Tom and Tony both laughed at this. Hearing them laugh, the girls, along with Hugh, came over.

"So what's so funny?" asked Eleanor, sliding into Tom's arms

"Paul was just saying that he felt so happy now he was married he could burst."

Janice smiled and held Paul close. "I feel just the same." They looked into each others eyes, for a moment the world just stopped, no one else mattered, just the two of them.

Tony coughed, everyone laughed. They broke apart, both blushing. Martha came rushing up, two little friends in tow.

"Can I go outside and play with Ranulf and Freda?"

Paul and Janice looked at her and laughed. "Yes, of course you can. Try not to get too dirty though won't you?" Paul replied.

"Thanks, I'll try." She disappeared along with her friends.

"She's going to get filthy; you know she is," Janice said with a laugh.

Tom stood and watched the little girl as she laughed and played with her friends. Her squeals rang out as she ran and climbed trees with the rest. It was this sight more than anything that made it all worthwhile.

Seeing Tom watching her play Tony said,

"Remember what she was like when we first saw her? She was totally traumatised Look at her now. Makes it all worthwhile doesn't it"

"Yes it does. When you look around and see how the people are faring, Ganlan was telling me that before the winter was a trying time with starvation just around the corner. Now with the improvements your machines have made, well, they now have full store houses and are looking forward to a bumper harvest. With any luck hunger will be a thing of the past.

"The only thing that worries me is if this trouble with the Brotherhood doesn't inspire some jumped up bandit or chieftain to try and carve out his own kingdom by conquering the other towns or villages around him. The genie is out of the bottle now. They've seen it can be done. I just hope it doesn't happen here. The people here have suffered enough."

"God, you're right there! It would make life here much more dangerous for heroes. All we have had to deal with before is the general lack of organisation and banditry. But if these bandits got organised then yes, it could make life here much more difficult."

It was late when they finally retired for the evening. Ilsa came up close to him; she was humming with anticipation.

"It won't be long now until I get you back to Crossroads. I really can't wait."

Tom held out his arms for her. She snuggled up close. "No, it will be two months at most. We'll miss the birth of Paul and Janice's baby, but that can't be helped. I suspect they'll stay here anyway, seeing as her parents are here. We just have to rest the horses, fix what needs fixing and load up with supplies and we'll be on our way."

She ground herself against him. "I'll be counting the days" she purred

Aurora came over to Tony. "I'm counting the days as well. I can't wait to get you to Crossroads. There is one thing, am I the only one to notice the smell here? I know it's not as bad as some places we've been, but I can't help feeling it's a lot worse than Bridgetown."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.