Invasion
Chapter 28

Copyright© 2012 by 2 flags

Hugh told his story.

I am Lieutenant Hugh Blackstaff of Her Majesty's Household Cavalry. I have just returned from deployment in Afghanistan. I can tell you that things were not easy out there. I have been a Hero here for three years. I was introduced to the DiD program by my uncle. Due to my military commitments, this is only my fifth mission, and the way things panned out, it was very nearly my last!

I was tasked with rescuing Adrianna from the mainland. The information I was given was that she was being held by a tavern owner. He was using her as a barmaid and a general skivvy. She wasn't in any immediate danger but the tavern owner had heard that the Brotherhood was paying good money for information on what they term cock-burners and men with sapphire rings. Before I left I was told to hide my ring while on Chaos. We had researched the best place to enter Chaos and we thought Marsachell on the south coast would be the best. The tavern I needed to get to was only two day's ride away. What is it they say, when you make plans, you can hear the gods laughing? Well, they must have been pissing themselves this time!

The smell as I left the bank at Marsachell was just as bad as any on Chaos, and I had to really control myself not to hurl on the spot! I had been there a couple of times before, and thought I knew all those who worked there, but this time I was greeted by a greasy little man who I took an instant dislike to. I don't know, there was just something about him I just didn't trust. I collected my things from the bank and withdrew what I thought would be enough money for my trip. I made my way to the stables carrying my saddle to buy a horse. The first thing I noticed was that there was a real tension in the air. I had felt it before in Afghanistan, and it usually meant trouble. Sure enough, just as I was approaching the stables a squad of men came round the corner. The locals scattered, leaving me standing in the middle of the street. They marched straight up to me, there were six of them.

"Hold it right there! Who are you and what's your business here?" their leader demanded.

"What's that got to do with you?" I responded.

"Oh, a funny guy eh? We're the Brotherhood. And in case you've forgotten, we're in charge here," he said as he pushed me, causing me to drop my saddle. "Now answer my question. Who are you, and why are you walking round town carrying a saddle?"

I thought as quickly as I could. Damn, I'd only been on Chaos for five minutes. I hadn't even got used to the smell yet and already I was in trouble!

"My name's Baldrick, I told him, and I'm on my way to the stable to buy a horse. Mine was stolen."

His eyes lit up, I could see the greed in them.

"So, you have money for a horse do you? I don't suppose you have paid your taxes either, have you?"

"Taxes? What taxes?" I said indignantly

"Why the taxes we imposed when we took over the running of the town. You don't think you have us protecting you for nothing, now do you?"

I could see the smile spreading across his face and the faces of his men. This was a good old-fashioned shakedown.

"How much?" I asked

He looked me up and down taking in my appearance and the quality of my clothes and saddle.

"Two shells," he said, his eyes gleaming with anticipation.

"Two shells? What do you think I am? I don't have two shells! I'll give you one. That's all I've got!"

"Just give me your purse then and I'll see for myself!" he ordered.

Very reluctantly I handed over my purse. Fortunately I only kept a very small amount in my purse, the rest I had hidden in a money belt. I'm not totally stupid! "Here it is" I told him, handing it over.

He emptied out the contents into his hand, one shell and eight pinches. He picked up the shell and pocketed it. He handed a pinch to each of his men, and placing the remaining coins back into my purse, he handed it back to me.

"There now, all paid." he said, patting me on the cheek.

He and his men moved away, laughing. I picked up my saddle, and cursing my luck, made my way towards the stables. I arrived there with my saddle over my shoulder.

The stable master took one look and said,

"Not another one? Don't tell me, they confiscated your horse, and now you need another. Well I'm sorry but you're the fifth one this week. There just aren't any horses left."

"Oh, great! I'm trying to get to Montsatire. My cousin has a place around there, and has asked me to help out. I was robbed on my way here as well! Taxes they call it. Thieving is what I call it!"

"Montsatire? That's what, two days away?"

"Yes, on a good horse. It's going to take me what, a week, ten days walking? And how am I supposed to carry the supplies he's asked for? Just who are these Brotherhood, anyway?"

"You're new here, aren't you?"

"Yes, just got in off a ship. Only arrived this morning. Just coming here from the dock I get stopped by those thugs — six of them. Now I find no horses!"

"They arrived about two years ago. Just marched in and took over. If they want something they just take it. Taxes they call it. About eight months ago they came round taking all the horses. Going to attack some island somewhere they told me. Then about three months ago they came round again asking if anyone knew anything about cock burners. I told them that I knew nothing about them, and then they asked if I had seen any men with sapphire rings. They have been going into the taverns making men show their hands. They have been known to kill those that refuse."

"Charming! What's a cock burner anyway?"

"Apparently it's a woman that if you make love to her, she sets your cock alight! Load of nonsense I say: never heard such rubbish!"

"I agree. I've heard of a ball-breaker and a nag. My brother was married to one of those. I know it's an awful thing to say, but when the fever took her I did a little jig! I think my brother did one as well!"

The man laughed and said, "Yes, I know a few of those myself! If the fever took them, I wouldn't lose much sleep!"

"Look I know it's a lot to ask, but have you any idea how I'm going to get to Montsatire without a horse?"

He looked at my saddle and said, "I'll tell you what, I'll give you two shells for the saddle; and I'll throw in that handcart, over there."

I looked at the handcart. It would do, but I really didn't want to lose my saddle. I thought about it for a moment. I could always get another saddle.

"Very well. I'm going to need some supplies. Can you point me in the right direction?"

"Certainly. Alfredo's is in the next street. Go out the back way, and hopefully, you'll avoid any more patrols. You can leave the cart here until you're ready."

I thanked the man and went to Alfredo's. I was astounded when I walked in the door. It was an Aladdin's cave. It had everything you could possibly think of in there. I ordered a thick travelling cloak, a tent, plenty of foodstuffs, a thick sleeping fur, four changes of clothing, pots and pans, plates, a mug, and the one thing that would save my life many times over: a beautiful compound bow. It was an absolute work of art. The man had a side slung quiver that went with it that contained twenty-five arrows. I just had to have it. I know now that I had far too much stuff, and would have been much better off with a bedroll and a knife. I wasn't used to having to walk. Every time before I had ridden. I collected the handcart, loaded my things and set off around midday. As I walked out of the town I may as well have hung a sign around my neck to every thief and robber in the district: "Rob me."

It was a warm day, and I had taken off my cloak and laid it on top of my cart. I had gone about four miles when the first trouble appeared. Four men wandered out of the forest brandishing clubs.

"Well, well. What have we here? A lonely traveller, just waiting to give us all his lovely things! You do want to give us all your lovely things, don't you?" he smirked as he made his way towards me. Even from this distance I could tell they were drunk.

I didn't even bother to reply, I just drew my bow, which was hidden under my cloak, nocked an arrow and shot one of the men. The others screamed and tried to run away. I got two more but one did manage to get away. I went over to the men. Two of them were still alive. I slit their throats, and then searched their bodies for anything worth bothering with. They were a poor bunch. I recovered my arrows. Only one of them had a knife. Their clothing was worn and threadbare, and even their boots were worn out! They had between them three pinches. I took the money, and the knife, then just left their bodies lying at the roadside as a warning to others.

It was the first night when I found the tent was a waste of money. I had set up camp and decided to see if I could do a little hunting. Fortunately I had my bow. I was just returning when I thought I saw movement near my camp. After my earlier experience I decided not to take any chances. I crept forward slowly, and that was when I heard voices.

"Do you think he's asleep?" I heard one of them say

"Don't know, just fire, anyway. If he's in there it won't make no difference."

Just then three arrows slammed into the tent and the men charged forward. If I'd been inside I would have been killed. Two had clubs and one had an axe. They raised their clubs and axes and smashed down on the tent. Again I laid the bow and shot two of them. The other, the one with the axe, charged straight at me. I dropped my bow and drew my sword. I parried his blow easily, and ran him through. I searched their bodies and again found very little of worth, just five pinches and the axe. I decided to move my camp, and found a small area of brambles with what looked like a tunnel made by badgers in it. I crawled in and found that I could cover myself with my sleeping fur and my cloak and be hidden from view. It was then it decided to rain. To say I was not impressed would be an understatement. By now I was seriously pissed off.

By the next day I had arrived at an inn. I rented a room for the night and took all my goods into my room. I left my handcart downstairs. When I came down next morning, it was gone. Someone had stolen it. At least I had had a peaceful night. I fashioned a rough pack from my sleeping fur and after tying it onto my back headed towards the next town. As I walked I kept my bow in plain sight with an arrow nocked and ready. I had no trouble that day. That evening I made my camp in the middle of some bushes on the edge of a clearing. I was completely hidden. Later on, I saw a family arrive and make camp. I saw there were mum and dad with two children age about thirteen and ten.

"Do you think we'll be safe here? I've heard of some terrible things lately," the woman asked, clearly worried.

"I'm sure we'll be fine. We're well off the track, and as long as we don't have a big fire, then no one will know we're here," the man replied.

They got a fire going and the smell of their food made my mouth water and stomach rumble. Cold tack is not very appetising. The children were restless and started to wander off.

"You two stay here. If you wander off, there's no telling who or what might be out there," their father told them.


It was just before dawn when something woke me. It may have been the rustle of the leaves or the snapping of a twig, but whatever it was it woke me. I saw six men creeping towards the sleeping family. Somehow I managed to raise myself up to my knee without alerting the creeping men. I laid my bow and shot one of the men. His scream woke the family and all hell broke loose. The men rushed forward and grabbed the children and the woman.

The man had been sleeping with a knife in his hand. As one of the men went to grab him, he plunged his knife deep into the bandit's belly. The bandit collapsed on top of him. That saved his life as it gave me time to loose another arrow into the other bandit's back. Three bandits were dead, but the surviving ones held the woman and her children at knifepoint. I stood up and made my way out of the bush. Everyone was looking at me in astonishment.

"Where the fuck did you come from?" the husband asked.

"Never mind that," one of the bandits said, holding the knife against the woman's throat. "Just put the bow down and move away from it."

I laid another arrow in the bow and smiled as I said, "Touch that woman, and you die. That goes for all of you. If any of you harm any of them, I'll kill you."

We had a standoff and the father said, "That's my family! Put the bow down and do as they say!"

He went to move towards me. I turned and pointed the bow at him.

"Get back! If I put this bow down, they will kill you, me, and your son. Then they'll rape your wife and daughter, and maybe kill them as well. This way we all get to live." I turned back towards the bandits and said, "Now, I'm going to give you a choice. Let them go and run away. I'll give you until the count of ten before I come after you. Trust me, when I catch you, I'll kill you. As things stand, you are all dead men. You can kill your captives, but then you'll join your friends. Now then, you may take your one chance to live. This is it. I'm going to start to count to ten, and then I'm going to start firing," I said as laid out two more arrows in front of me and aimed at the first one. I started counting, "One. Two..."

One of the men's nerve broke and he ran off into the bushes. His daughter ran over into her father's arms.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.