Invasion - Cover

Invasion

Copyright© 2012 by 2 flags

Chapter 21

Paul was hard at work treating the injured when he saw some of the enemy wounded being brought in to the hospital. They were filthy.

"It's all over!" said one of his stretcher bearers. "We've won! They're bringing the prisoners in now!"

Paul finished up what he was doing. He rushed outside and went over to where Tom and the others were standing.

"Get those men out of town. Keep them separate from the townsfolk. They need to be washed off and those clothes need to be burnt. They have sickness among them. You can smell it from here. We need to split them into small groups and process them. Tell me, have any of you seen Rolof? I need to ask him something."

Just then Rolof and his men entered wheeling handcarts filled with weapons, pots and other goods.

"We found this lot just lying around out there. It seemed silly to just to leave it. Eviaria would never forgive me if I went home without it," Rolof said laughingly.

"Tell me, Sir Rolof," Paul asked, "did you manage to put anything in the cooking pots yesterday?"

"Why, yes. I put those leaves in the pots like you suggested. I hope it did some good. I know they did seem to use the latrines a lot more the last two nights."

The others looked at him in astonishment.

"What leaves?" Tom and Eleanor asked together.

"Lord Paul gave me some leaves and said if we got the chance to put two of them in the cook pots. This we did and you can see the effects before you. Many of them smelled bad before, but this hasn't helped."

"How did you get them in the pots?" a very puzzled Judith asked.

"Oh, that was easy. We just wandered into their cook houses and popped them in when no one was looking," Rolof said as he and his men grinned from ear to ear like Cheshire cats.

Tom, Paul, Simon and Rob threw back their heads and roared with laughter.

"We put that powder on the horse blankets as well. That's why the horses went mad when they tried to ride off. I hope it doesn't last too long. I don't like to think of the horses suffering unnecessarily"

"Anything else we need to know?" asked Tom, tears starting to trickle down his face.

"Don't think so ... Oh, we did swap a load of stuff about in the loggers camp. Seemed to cause some excitement. Several of the loggers were sporting black eyes and bandaged arms the next day."

"You seemed to have had some fun over there," Paul commented.

"I was tasked to cause some mischief. I think we achieved that very well."

"I think so, too. Well done! Now go and get some rest — I think you've earned it," Tom said.

"Just make sure you wash all that lot in boiling water, even throw in some caustic soda. You need to sterilize all that lot or you could come down with the flux," Paul warned.

"Will do. I certainly don't want to end up smelling like that!"

"That's amazing," said Judith. "It sounds like they were just wandering around the enemy camp doing whatever they wished. How did he get away with it?"

"I think you'll find it's just walking around like you should be there, like you know exactly where you're going and you have every right to be there. They went into the cook house because, as soldiers, they have every right to be fed. I do wonder what made them mount such a desperate and suicidal attack? They had no real chance of success, so why do it? They have lost thousands!" Tom replied.

"I suppose we won't know until we question the prisoners. This is going to take quite awhile," Paul said. "Anyway, we need to get these men out of town. They will be full of sickness, and I don't want it spreading through the town. Tell me, how much linen have we got in storage?"

We have some, but not as much as usual. We weave it during the winter, but this winter we've had other things to do. We normally ship it out through Polliton but of course it's not been possible this year," Eleanor replied

"As long as we have enough to make shifts for all those men. I intend to burn every scrap of their clothing. I will not allow sickness to enter this town."

The column of men was halted and the men were ordered back outside the town. This caused some confusion at first, but after a while they were turned around and led back outside.

Paul went out to address them.

"I am Lord Paul. I am the leader of the Angels. I am here to tell you that we will not let you into the town until you are clean. You are all suffering from the flux in one form or another. The only way to cure it is to wash everyone and everything in disinfectant. Your clothes will be burnt, and you will be issued new ones. You will be fed while you're here. The food is being prepared as I speak. I will now ask King Tom to tell you of your fate."

Tom stood before them and said, "I am King Tom. King of the free people of The Isle of Hunters. You have invaded my lands. You have murdered, enslaved, raped and stolen from my people. You have despoiled our beautiful island with your corrupt and evil ways. We demand restitution, and we shall have it.

"You will be pleased to hear that your lives will be spared. You will however have your heads shaved and will be indentured servants for ten years. Any of you who do not wish this to happen, just step forward now, and I'll take your head. This is your choice. It's the last free choice you will make for the next ten years. If you try to escape or harm your overseers then you will be branded and your sentence will be increased to 25 years. If after that you rebel, we will take your heads. We will deal with your wounded first. When asked, bring them forward. The rest of you, we will be dealing with you in small batches. When your group is called, come forward and tell us your decision."

A great murmur went around the captives. Men looked at one another. Those with wounded companions moved towards the front. A large tent had been brought out and erected. Food was prepared and distributed among them. Paul, along with his Angels and several townsfolk took charge. The few surviving officers were separated, stripped, washed, dressed in the new shifts and taken to the castle. Men were sent to collect all the things off the battlefield and from the enemy camp. The importance of sterilizing was emphasised on the officers and sergeants. They were told that their men would be punished if they brought the flux into the town. These men spent the rest of the day clearing the camp.

Paul set up a field hospital and told his helpers to strip the wounded and wash them. Only then would they be brought to the hospital. The screams of the wounded rang out, and disturbed the other prisoners. They were only reassured when their friends were allowed to accompany them to the hospital, after they too were stripped, washed and dressed in clean shifts.

The surviving officers and sergeants sat in a room waiting for Tom to question them. A silent unsmiling guard stood at the door. One by one the men were brought in to him.

"You have been defeated. You have lost!" Tom began. "What happens to you now is up to you. I have some questions for you. How you answer will determine your future. I need to know your name, rank, and responsibilities within your army. Refuse or mislead me and I'll make sure that you have a thoroughly miserable time!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.