Invasion - Cover

Invasion

Copyright© 2012 by 2 flags

Chapter 15

They made their way over towards where the canteen had been set up. It was damp and cold as they stepped out of the hospital. They pulled their cloaks tighter around themselves, to ward off the chill. Tom saw several children with barrows scooping up muck and rubbish. He noticed there was less much muck on the road, and the smell was much reduced. People seemed content. Folk smiled and nodded at them as they passed.

As they arrived at the canteen, they stood in line awaiting their turn. In front there was a commotion when a burly man in a guard's uniform decided he should not have to wait with everyone else. He tried to push in and force his way to the front. Several people complained and started pushing and shoving.

Tom stepped forward.

"What's going on here?"

"I'm the guard," he said "We deserve better treatment."

"What makes you think that?" Tom asked.

"Well," he said looking round, "we're defending the town. If the slavers arrive we'll have to put our lives on the line."

"But the slavers haven't arrived, have they?" Tom said. "And if I have anything to do with it, they won't."

The man looked at Tom, and finally realised who he was speaking to.

"I'm sorry, Your Majesty. I didn't realise you were here," he stammered.

Turning to the crowd Tom declared, "Everyone is important. It doesn't matter what job you do, each and every one of you are vital to our success. If we allow division to tear us apart then the slavers will win. Each of us needs to remember this. Now take your turn," he said turning to the guard, "and don't try to take advantage again."

"Yes, Sire. Sorry, Sire," The man said as he got back in line.

Tom, Paul and Janice lined up with the rest. Martha held Paul's hand and smiled up at him. She was never far from either Paul or Janice. They reached the serving table, and the women smiled at them.

As he was served his dinner — stew and fresh bread, as usual — one of the women took his hand and said,

"Thank you, Sire. We were destitute when we arrived here, and at first we had no help from anywhere. We thought we would starve. You have shown us that people do care. You have fed us and everyone in the town. We don't know what we'd have done without you."

All around, folks were nodding in agreement.

"As long as you and your family are safe and well, then I feel my job is done," Tom replied. "As long as you all feel safe, have plenty to eat and have a job, then things are going well. If you have problems then let us know and we'll see if we can help. We can't sort out everything; but where we can, we will,"

She smiled and thanked him as she served him his food.

They took their seats and started to eat. Tom turned to Martha and asked, "How are you enjoying your dinner then?"

"It's nice," she said. "I like this. I don't feel hungry any more. We didn't always have lots to eat before. Now we do. I like that."

She cuddled tighter into Janice. She looked up at her with her big blue eyes, and Tom felt his heart melt. Janice leaned towards her and kissed her.

After dinner they decided to take a walk around the town. They saw people out and about; men and women were walking in an open and free way. He noticed that some of the men were not armed. This was unheard of on Chaos. Families were out, just strolling and chatting in a carefree manner that was not present just a few weeks ago. People did notice them, though. After all, they did have four armed guards with them.

Stalls were open selling all manner of merchandise. There were sweetmeats at one stall, jewellery at another, one was selling earthenware pottery and another toys. Paul looked at the toy stall and saw a stuffed doll. He asked Martha if she liked it. When she smiled and nodded he bought it for her. She beamed and clutched it to her.

They were enjoying the stroll when Tom said,

"We're not going to be here much longer. I need to put a council in place like we did in Small Cove. When we arrived we effectively removed what little authority there was in this town. We must introduce some kind of government."

"You need to see Joshua. He's the best one I've met for that job. Yes, Joshua and Balik should be able to suggest a few people to fulfil that role," Paul said.

"He does seem like he has the town's best interests at heart," Janice agreed. "Remember when we first arrived he was the one who welcomed us and warned us about Branrith."

"Very well," Tom replied. "We'll go and see him now."

They made their way to Joshua's house. It was a fairly modest house, set in a good location, surrounded by a high white wall. They announced themselves at the gate.

Soon Joshua came and welcomed them in.

"Welcome Your Majesty, Lord Paul, Angel Janice. Tell me: to what do I owe the pleasure of your company this evening?" he asked, looking slightly worried.

"We have come to ask your advice and to ask for your help," Tom replied.

"Certainly, Sire. Please come inside. I'll send for some refreshments."

He led them into a comfortable sitting room and rang a small bell. A servant appeared and Joshua asked that drinks be brought for his guests. Tom looked around the room. He liked what he saw. The room was tastefully furnished with high quality furnishings, but nothing too gaudy or ornate. It really was the epitome of good taste.

The servant brought the drinks, and then Joshua's wife came in.

"Oh, sorry, my dear," she said blushing, "I didn't realise you had company. The children just wished to kiss you goodnight. That was all."

"Please, don't let us stop them. Time spent with the children is the most precious time of all," Tom said.

"Please allow me to introduce my wife, Lorrittia," said Joshua.

Tom smiled at her. "Very pleased to meet you."

She returned his smile and went to get the children. Three children came in and kissed their father. They looked at Tom, Paul, Janice and little Martha, curled up in Paul's lap. The youngest who was about the same age as Martha smiled at her and came over to her.

"Hello! My name's Lottie. What's yours?"

Martha looked at her. "Martha."

"That's a nice doll. I've got some like that. Would you like to see them?" Lottie asked.

Martha looked up at Paul. "Can I?"

"Of course you can. You run along and play,"

Martha reached up and kissed him. Taking Lottie's hand, the two small girls went off to her bedroom.

"Now to business," said Tom. "You may wish your wife to join us, as this will concern you both."

Joshua looked puzzled, but asked his wife to join them.

"The reason I'm here tonight," began Tom, "is that I do not think we will be staying here much longer. I just have a feeling that circumstances will dictate that we'll be moving on quite soon. I need someone to run this place whilst I'm not here, and I'd like your input as to whom to ask. I need someone to put together a council to run this town. It's too big a job to be done by one man, so whoever it is will require help. I've already asked Charlith to train the militia, and I'm sure he could run the constables as well."

"I would not wish to question your choice of personnel, Sire, but remember he was Branrith's main enforcer. Are you sure you can trust him?" Joshua asked.

Tom smiled. "Yes I think I can. He had family imprisoned at Balirick along with so many others. He had no choice but to do as was told. With Branrith's death, that has taken the pressure off him. I think you'll find he'll be very amenable to your suggestions, and very willing to work with you."

"Work with me?" said a very puzzled Joshua.

"Yes," said Tom. "We want you to be mayor of this town and run it for us. I'm offering you the job."

"I ... I don't know what to say," Joshua stammered.

"You say 'yes, '" said his wife. "There are lots of people you can ask for help. Arturio, the wine merchant: he always has some good ideas. The baker's wife, Naomi: she's always willing to help. I think between us we'll be able to do His Majesty proud."

Janice looked up laughing, "I think you've offered the job to the wrong person. Lorrittia here would make a first class Mayor."

"Well, I always ask for her advice before making a major decision," Joshua said. They all laughed.

"That's just as it should be. I always talk things over with my wife as well, when I can," said Tom, a wistful look coming into his eyes.

"You miss her dreadfully, don't you," Lorrittia noted.

"Yes I do. Very much."

"Very well," said Joshua. "I'll do it. I'll talk to some people in the morning and we'll assemble a council for your approval."

"I'm glad to hear it," said Tom. "We'll leave you to enjoy the rest of your evening. We'd best be getting back. Martha needs her sleep."

They went upstairs to where the girls had been playing. Both girls were curled up on the bed, fast asleep.

"Oh, look," said Lorrittia as they entered the bedroom and saw the children lying there.

The sudden noise woke Martha. She sat up with a startled, panicked look on her face, saw Janice and Paul, jumped up, and ran to them, clinging tightly to Paul's leg.

Paul picked her up. "It's all right little one. I'm here! No one's going to hurt you. Calm down; everything's fine."

The child sniffed and nodded her head, but still clung like a limpet to his neck. Joshua and Lorrittia looked on, wide eyed.

Janice then said, "That's the first time she has fallen asleep, not in mine or Paul's arms, since we found her. It's to prevent children like her ever having to go through what she's been through that we're doing what we do."

"What happened to her?" Lorrittia asked.

They told her story, and that of her family. By the time they had finished they were all in tears.

"You poor lamb," said Joshua. "I can see why you would wish to stop this kind of suffering."

"If the Brotherhood ever takes this place, then you can expect many more to suffer in the same way, maybe even your own children. This is why it is so important that we succeed. No one should suffer like they did," said Tom.

"No, indeed!" said Joshua. "I will certainly do my best, Sire. I am proud that you have faith in me."

Lorrittia then said, "Have no fear, Sire. I'll make sure we succeed. I have no intentions of letting anything like that happen to our children!"

"Thank you. Now we really must be going. It's getting late, and we've a lot to do tomorrow," Tom declared.

"Certainly, Sire, and thank you," said Joshua.

"Not at all. Thank you. I'm sure you will make a fantastic success of it," Tom responded. They all made their way back to the palace.


The following morning the invitations went out and the council was assembled. It took several hours to iron out all the problems but eventually all was settled. Joshua was to be mayor, Arturio was to be his deputy and Charlith, despite many reservations, was to be head of security.

As they were leaving the meeting, one of the town guards came up to them.

"Sire," the man said, bowing his head, "there is a message from the palace. Lady Philipminna asks that you return straightaway."

"Very well. I'll come at once," Tom replied.

He made his way back to the Palace. Philipminna was waiting for him.

"We've had a message from Rolof," she said. "Come into the study and I'll show it to you."

"Here," she said, handing him the scrap of paper from a desk in the study.

It read: 'Have reached Dampford. Help needed. Come quick. Rolof.'

"Not much of a note is it?" said Philipminna. Mind you, that's about all you can send via a pigeon."

"Well, I guess my time here is over. I'll start making the preparations and set off as soon as I can," Tom said.

"What about Aurora? What do you intend to do with her?" Philipminna asked.

"Oh, shit! With all that has been happening I'd forgotten about her. I'll have to go see her and tell her that we're leaving. I'll give her the choice whether to stay here, or come with us,"

He went to find her. She was out with Petrie, one of the foremen in charge of the labourers. It took over an hour to find her, as she was riding from location to location deciding where to dig her sewers. Finally, Tom caught up with her.

"Hello," she said, coming over towards him. "What brings you out here?"

He looked at her and was struck at just how beautiful she was: her full womanly body, her long golden hair, blowing gently in the breeze, her sparkling blue eyes. He felt a stirring in his loins, and could quite happily have taken her there and then, even with everyone watching. What made matters worse was that he knew that she would be willing and eager.

He swallowed quickly and said, "I need to talk to you. We've had a message from Rolof. I need to be moving on. I'd like to talk to you as to whether you wish to stay here, or wish to accompany us. It's your decision, but I'd feel happier knowing you were here and safe."

She dismounted from her horse, came over to him and placed her face on his thigh, only inches from his swelling cock. He thought for a moment his cock would burst.

"Are you sure?" she asked, slowly tracing her fingers down his leg.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.